News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Warning fork brace users

Started by balky1, June 09, 2018, 02:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

balky1

I would like to send a warning to all of you fork brace users. I installed a fork brace last year and had no issues until today. There were two of us on the bike, I was lightly braking and hit a pothole. Front fork bottomed out and fork brace hit the front brake splitter pretty hard. I've noticed I've lost the pressure on the lever immediately, but managed to park it without problems. I noticed a leak from the splitter, probably cracked. And a clear mark on the fork brace where it contacted the banjo bolt holding the brake lines.
So, aside as to why the forks bottomed out, problematic is the fact that the fork brace can get in touch with such important part of the bike, not allowing a full travel to the front fork.

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

oldktmdude

The same thing happened to my mate during our ride through Tasmania last year. Hit a sharp edged pothole at speed and
then found he had no front brakes. The fork brace had hit the splitter so hard it compressed the copper washers on the banjo
bolt and they leaked fluid. We tightened up the banjo and he was good to go. He had hit the pothole so hard that the
ignition key flew out of the ignition. We found the key after a short search.
   Regards, Pete.
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure

red

Hey guys,

I'd still keep the fork brace.  This would be a great time to run two new stainless steel wrapped hydraulic hoses from the calipers to the front brake master cylinder.  Replace the top banjo bolt with a two-line banjo bolt.  Any decent hydraulics shop will have the two-line banjo bolt, and they would be able to make exactly the hoses that you will need.  They will probably have clear or several translucent-colors of sheathing for those new hoses.  Your braking action will be much better then, so brake with caution at first.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Country Joe

Quote from: red on June 09, 2018, 06:40:31 PM
Hey guys,

I'd still keep the fork brace.  This would be a great time to run two new stainless steel wrapped hydraulic hoses from the calipers to the front brake master cylinder.  Replace the top banjo bolt with a two-line banjo bolt.  Any decent hydraulics shop will have the two-line banjo bolt, and they would be able to make exactly the hoses that you will need.  They will probably have clear or several translucent-colors of sheathing for those new hoses.  Your braking action will be much better then, so brake with caution at first.

This right here........
1993 FJ 1200

balky1

Quote from: red on June 09, 2018, 06:40:31 PM
Hey guys,

I was thinking the same. If just I haven't put those new lines two years ago....

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

giantkiller

Or just go inverted. And you have nothing to worry about... and you'll get all the chicks.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

balky1

Quote from: giantkiller on June 10, 2018, 07:46:20 AM
Or just go inverted. And you have nothing to worry about... and you'll get all the chicks.

:lol:

OK, I fixed it. Turnes out nothing got broken, just the banjo bolt got loose.

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

CutterBill

Quote from: giantkiller on June 10, 2018, 07:46:20 AM... and you'll get all the chicks.
So that's what I'm doing wrong...   :sarcastic:
Never Slow Down, Never Grow Old.

Current Stable:                                                     
FJ1100                                              
FJ1200 (4)
1999 Yamaha WR400 (street-legal)
2015 Super Tenere
2002 Honda Goldwing