2019 West Coast Rally: Where do you want to go?

Started by Pat Conlon, June 29, 2018, 12:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

*IF* you are going, where do you prefer?

Hayfork, CA, Bar 717 Ranch
9 (64.3%)
Willits, KOA
1 (7.1%)
Other (post specifics)
4 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Pat Conlon

Hey guys, we would like to start planning on the 2019 WCR so we need a consensus on where we should hold it.

Traditionally we reach this decision by holding a vote at the Saturday night camp fire but this year we did not.
Several folks talked up Hayfork, the site of our soggy 2011 WCR, and folks also talked about Willits, so I listed those 2 locations on the above poll.
Hayfork location: http://www.bar717.com/about-us/
Willits location: https://koa.com/campgrounds/willits/

If you would like us to consider a 3rd location (other than Hayfork or Willits), vote in the "other" category and then post the specifics on the site for us to review and discuss.

Reminder that the 2019 WCR is held the weekend after Memorial Day, so that's Thursday May 30th thru Sunday June 2nd 2019

The turn out this year for the 2018 WCR was light. We missed Frank & Diane, Mike & Tina, Derek & Donna, Ed & Sue, just to name a few, so even though you did not make the 2018 WCR, you can vote.

Please only vote if you plan on attending the 2019 WCR. We would like to get this wrapped up by October 1st 2018.

Cheers   Pat
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

racerrad8

I'll weigh in with some questions/concerns.

Hayfork:

1) Is there some good riding roads in the area? When we went back in 2011 we only rode 36 to like Bridgeville maybe. Is there more?
    2) I do not completely recall the lodging details. The details were lost when the FJ when the FJrally site was abandoned: http://www.fjrally.com/11WCR.html
    ***I am not holding the weather as a consdieration as that cannot be controlled.***

Willits:

1) The accommodations; KOA. It seems to me KOA has priced themselves out of touch when compared with conventional accommodations.
    2) Willits seems to come quite frequently with 2016 being the last year.

Here are the WCR rally locations since 2010

2010 - Willits
2011 - Hayfork
2012 - Porterville
2013 - Petaluma
2014 - Willits
2015 - Coleville
2016 - Willits
2017 - Coloma/Placerville
2018 - Petaluma

We need to stay open to other locations, but that requires suggestions from attendees who are familiar with a specific area and is confident it could be a good rally location.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

ZOA NOM

Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

FJmonkey

I missed the Coloma rally and the incredible turn out. It looked to be a good set up. I would be interested just for the new place experience. But having made a few rallies I have learned that the real rally is the people that attend, not the location. Hayfork  was my first and the weather sucked. The facility was awesome, the distance...farther than my riding boots could go, the connections to members timeless. Porterville was different, no Thermite or bonfire but a pool. It was a bit warm and if we choose this location then rally shirts should be changed to cooling vests. Mine worked quite well.  If you can't stand the heat then get an air cooled bike.

So bring on the best rally memories to help us select the next adventure.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

moparman70

Willits is my first rally and my favorite.  It's a good days ride but not too far that I have to trailer.   That being said I am torn —I like going to new places and Hayfork did offer some nice roads.   The biggest pain to me was it's location to the roads.  It's about a 10 -15 mile driveway basically.   Note sure how I will vote.

Stevec

1tinindian

I voted for Hayfork, but it may be a little tight for me to make it as my youngest sons wedding is Jun 22.
I'll just have to see as time gets closer.

Leon
"I want to be free to ride my machine without being hassled by the "man"!
91 FJ1200

Firehawk068

I voted for Hayfork also. I missed the 2011 Rally, due to my move from Arizona to Colorado that June, but if it were not for that, rain or shine I would have been there.
I am looking forward to riding some of those roads up in that area in the near future..................
I know it's far for some of you So-Cal guys, but consider the distance that some of the regulars travel to attend the WCR, like Garth, Derek and Donna, George, Fred, Leon, and others.................
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

racerrad8

Quote from: moparman70 on July 09, 2018, 10:34:42 PM
... and Hayfork did offer some nice roads.   The biggest pain to me was it's location to the roads.  It's about a 10 -15 mile driveway basically.   Note sure how I will vote.

Stevec

Steve, like I asked earlier is there good roads? The best road I rode was the one to the place.

Randy - RPM

Quote from: racerrad8 on June 30, 2018, 11:33:37 AM

Hayfork:

1) Is there some good riding roads in the area? When we went back in 2011 we only rode 36 to like Bridgeville maybe.

... Is there more?

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

Derek Young

Quote from: racerrad8 on July 10, 2018, 06:42:00 PM
... and Hayfork did offer some nice roads.   The biggest pain to me was it's location to the roads.  It's about a 10 -15 mile driveway basically.   Note sure how I will vote.

Stevec

Steve, like I asked earlier is there good roads? The best road I rode was the one to the place.

Randy - RPM

Hayfork:

1) Is there some good riding roads in the area? When we went back in 2011 we only rode 36 to like Bridgeville maybe.

... Is there more?

Randy - RPM

My vote is for Hayfork.
In 2014, Capn Ron and I rode (with Donna following in the truck)the 36 from the coast to Hayfork, then took the 3 north toward Yreka. Absolutely stunning roads!
Donna and I have also driven in the truck on the 299 and the 96 northwest of Hayfork. Also awesome!
We have the Destination Highways Norcal map. It is a motorcycling map that rates the roads in northern California with #1 being the best. Within rally riding distance from Hayfork, according to the map, we have the #2,6,11,12,13,18 rated roads in Norcal. Just as a reference, this map rates highway 20, from Fort Bragg to Willits at #32. I don't agree with all their ratings, but they are generally pretty close. I will try to add some pics of the map on the weekend.

In summary, there are a ton of great roads in the Hayfork area, and the Bar 717 is an awesome venue as well.

Derek
1986 FJ1200 (R.I.P.)
1991 FJ1200
Nanaimo, British Columbia

Flynt

Quote from: Derek Young on July 11, 2018, 09:30:43 AM
Quote from: racerrad8 on July 10, 2018, 06:42:00 PM

Stevec

Randy - RPM

Hayfork:

... Is there more?

Randy - RPM

My vote is for Hayfork.
In 2014, Capn Ron and I rode (with Donna following in the truck)the 36 from the coast to Hayfork, then took the 3 north toward Yreka. Absolutely stunning roads!
Donna and I have also driven in the truck on the 299 and the 96 northwest of Hayfork. Also awesome!
We have the Destination Highways Norcal map. It is a motorcycling map that rates the roads in northern California with #1 being the best. Within rally riding distance from Hayfork, according to the map, we have the #2,6,11,12,13,18 rated roads in Norcal. Just as a reference, this map rates highway 20, from Fort Bragg to Willits at #32. I don't agree with all their ratings, but they are generally pretty close. I will try to add some pics of the map on the weekend.

In summary, there are a ton of great roads in the Hayfork area, and the Bar 717 is an awesome venue as well.

Derek

+1

Frank
There's plenty of time for sleep in the grave...

roortcloud

FYI Another option in the Hayfork area is Trinity Lake KOA. It' a "full service" KOA. Cabins, RV, tent, gas station, store, burger joint, swimming pool etc. For more luxurious accommodations there's a place right across the street.

Capn Ron

Quote from: Derek Young on July 11, 2018, 09:30:43 AM

My vote is for Hayfork.

Derek

THIS ^^^^

I too voted for Hayfork...The 36 and the 3 are spectacular and one of the great riding days I've ever had is referenced above.  The Destination Highways maps are top-notch and I'm certain we can carve out some fun loops.  I also know of a cool little place to get a milkshake in the middle of nowhere!   :good2:
Cap'n Ron. . .

There are two types of people in the world...Those who put people into categories...and those who don't.

Nimbus

Not having been to Hayfork... that's my vote.
Henning
92 FJ1200
1953 Nimbus
1988 Honda VFR 400R
2018 Montesa 4rt
2003 Suzuki SV650S
1968 Honda CL450
1976 Honda CB400F

Derek Young

Quote from: 1tinindian on July 10, 2018, 09:44:27 AM
I voted for Hayfork, but it may be a little tight for me to make it as my youngest sons wedding is Jun 22.
I'll just have to see as time gets closer.

Leon
I sure hope you can make it Leon! I've done rallies both ways, with a Leon and without. They are much better with!

Derek
1986 FJ1200 (R.I.P.)
1991 FJ1200
Nanaimo, British Columbia