News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Stuck in the boonies

Started by Mr. Grumpy, July 04, 2018, 08:15:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Grumpy

I am having fuel issues.
Seems fuel pump no longer supplies fuel while running.
I bypassed the reserve switch and reseated connectors and thought I had it licked.
Test ride under load drained the bowls.
Kill switch supplies fuel back to bowls but have a 10 hour ride home to contend with.
Am I correct that fuel pump fills bowls until pressure stops it from pumping?
If so is there a way to bypass to keep the pump running while the bike is running?
I did do gravity feed to the carbs but the trip home doesn't have enough fuel stops to keep the tank above half full.

FJmonkey

GF might be your best bet. You might not run at full speed between fuel stops but you can still get to them. Or you could hot wire the FP direct to a power source. Find one switched by ignition so the pump stops with the key off.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Firehawk068

I was going so suggest what Monkey suggested.
If it runs the pump when you cycle the kill switch, then the pump is fine.
Not sure what year your bike is, but I think on the '91-up models, the fuel pump relay is near the battery on the fuel pump side. It might not be receiving a tach signal to keep it operating while the bike is running.
Get to a hardware store and get some wire, some terminals, and a cheap wire-crimper (or use scotch-lock connectors). Hook it up to a key-on power source. (The brown connector on that same side that normally is connected to the emission equipment on California bikes is a good option)
Should get you home.
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

red

I'd rather get home first, before worrying about a correct technical fix for the bike.

If Gravity Feed will get you going, you might consider carrying a full fuel can as cargo, so you can keep the tank topped off between gas stations.  I still would not carry five gallons, if a two-gallon can will do the job of getting you to the next gas station.  Opening the gas cap now and then may extend your "Gravity Feed" range.  Easy does it.

Just a thought.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Mr. Grumpy

Thanks again for the amazing feedback.
Did a manual switch.
Hoping the pic comes through.

quote author=Mr. Grumpy link=topic=17969.msg180866#msg180866 date=1530710159]
I am having fuel issues.
I bypassed the reserve switch and reseated connectors and thought I had it licked.
Kill switch supplies fuel back to bowls but have a 10 hour ride home to contend with.
If so is there a way to bypass to keep the pump running while the bike is running?
I did do gravity feed to the carbs but the trip home doesn't have enough fuel stops to keep the tank above half full.
[/quote]

FJmonkey

The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Mr. Grumpy

So if you see the switch think lefty loosy righty tighty.
Left is full on right is shutoff.
Only my brain thinks these wierd thoughts.
Made it home cruising at 130kph and under.
Holding anything over 140 for any time starts to drain the bowls.
Thinking fuel filter next cheap part.
Thanks again for all the help!!

Quote from: Mr. Grumpy on July 04, 2018, 02:25:22 PM

Thanks again for the amazing feedback.
Did a manual switch.
Hoping the pic comes through.

quote author=Mr. Grumpy link=topic=17969.msg180866#msg180866 date=1530710159]
I am having fuel issues.
[/quote]