News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Interesting find

Started by ryanschoebel, July 05, 2018, 03:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryanschoebel

So, today I went down to a motorcycle junkyard here in town, called Bobs Used Motorcycles, looking for some parts for my brothers bike. I wasnt really able to find what i was looking for, however,out of curiosity,i looked in the Yamaha section, and what i did find was 3 fj1100s, and 2 fj1200's. Looking over the bikes, they were in sorry shape, with not much usable on them except for frames, but one interesting thing caught my eye. One of the FJ's had an Oil adapter from RPM on it! They didnt allow pictures,so i couldnt get one, but i thought it was interesting!
1985 FJ1100-- Atlas (SOLD)
1984 FJ1100-- Storm

Pat Conlon

Beware, not all spin on oil filter adapters are RPM's. If it's engraved with the RPM logo, you're good.

Several years ago there was a rash of copycats on the market. Dunno where they came from, somewhere in the UK.  IIRC there was something about a problem with the filter drain holes on the copies.

I'll see if I can find the discussion....
Found it: http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=12388.0

How's the bike running Ryan? Hunker down for the blast of heat coming your way....

Cheers. Pat
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

ryanschoebel

Good to know! I didn't look for a logo, because I didn't know there were copycats. And to be honest, it's too hot to ride right now :mad: :mad: so I've been holding out for cooler days. I'm going to be sending my carbs in to RPM in a day or two, but bar that, it's running like a champ!
1984 FJ1100-- Storm

racerrad8

If it was found in the US, then it was probably one of mine.

The knock-offs were made in the UK and primarily sold there. They had a different external shape to "lighten" it.

Here is a photo of what the knock-off looked like externally (below).

The problem was they were coming loose. I never had one, but I thought maybe they thinned then down to much and they were flexing during the installation. The when the heat cycles occurred they were coming loose. I am not sure, but that is my best guess. But I do know they did leak and leak a lot.

Randy - RPM

Randy - RPM

Miker

Quote from: ryanschoebel on July 05, 2018, 03:59:06 PM
So, today I went down to a motorcycle junkyard here in town, called Bobs Used Motorcycles, looking for some parts for my brothers bike. I wasnt really able to find what i was looking for, however,out of curiosity,i looked in the Yamaha section, and what i did find was 3 fj1100s, and 2 fj1200's. Looking over the bikes, they were in sorry shape, with not much usable on them except for frames, but one interesting thing caught my eye. One of the FJ's had an Oil adapter from RPM on it! They didnt allow pictures,so i couldnt get one, but i thought it was interesting!

Wow small world.  I was going to head to Bob's for the first time today to look for a 1+4 ignition coil for my '85 FJ1100.  Mine is verified dead.  I'll check out those FJs anyway.  I think that Maxim coil was on a bunch of bikes.  Wonder how much they charge.
1985 FJ1100
2003 ZX-12R

ryanschoebel

Quote from: Miker on July 06, 2018, 02:38:06 PM
Wow small world.  I was going to head to Bob's for the first time today to look for a 1+4 ignition coil for my '85 FJ1100.  Mine is verified dead.  I'll check out those FJs anyway.  I think that Maxim coil was on a bunch of bikes.  Wonder how much they charge.

Good to know there are other around me, haha! We should ride sometime! Honestly, super cheap. I got all the stainless steel braided brake lines, front and back, for $30 bucks. Like, steal of a deal.And they are all good, still holding pressure and everything! also, youre gonna find the fj's mostly near the walls, and 1 or two randomly in the middle. That will make sense when you see it. Let me know how it goes!
1984 FJ1100-- Storm

Miker

Quote from: ryanschoebel on July 06, 2018, 07:01:56 PM
Quote from: Miker on July 06, 2018, 02:38:06 PM
Wow small world.  I was going to head to Bob's for the first time today to look for a 1+4 ignition coil for my '85 FJ1100.  Mine is verified dead.  I'll check out those FJs anyway.  I think that Maxim coil was on a bunch of bikes.  Wonder how much they charge.

Good to know there are other around me, haha! We should ride sometime! Honestly, super cheap. I got all the stainless steel braided brake lines, front and back, for $30 bucks. Like, steal of a deal.And they are all good, still holding pressure and everything! also, youre gonna find the fj's mostly near the walls, and 1 or two randomly in the middle. That will make sense when you see it. Let me know how it goes!

Yea man... I'll let you know when my bike is back up and running.  I wasn't too impressed with their prices.  $150 for generators, $20-$30 for coils - all untested and their prices are set.  Much better deals online including SS lines.  They have a ton of parts though. 
1985 FJ1100
2003 ZX-12R