News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

A word on road conditions as of early April

Started by gearheadstu, April 08, 2010, 08:28:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gearheadstu

Winter 2010 was an abnormally hard one for the NC mountains. I've already been playing around by bike and car on some of our favorite roads, thought I'd give everyone the heads-up on what to expect:

- BRP is closed North of Linville Falls. I'm not sure where it opens, but based on the damage I saw, I don't anticipate being able to ride it anywhere near Boone. I think it is also closed South of Little Switzerland
- NC 181 is fine as of 3 April.
- NC 80 was still a fairly sandy mess as of 19 March.

Up near the ridge-lines, pretty much every tree has lost its top due to ice. Further down the flanks, it isn't quite as bad, but still starkly evident. I haven't seen this much damage in quite a long time.

What that means is that on the sides of the roads is that there is a LOT of debris crammed up. Some of it is there after having been pushed up off the road by what few clearing crews have been through. Most of it is direct/slide fall from higher elevations. On the twistier and more obscure roads, the debris and leftover sand/salt often overlaps the road surface by a foot or two in the most fun bits.

I'm torn between hoping for lots more rain prior to the rally, on the idea that it may help clear out of the sand, twig, and branch crap from the debris piles. On the other hand, we've had quite a few rock slides already, and looking up the hillsides, I'm thinking more rain will have a direct correlation to more felled trees.

That said, I've found a few tasty new roads to play around on, and am really looking forward to the rally!
Stu

mst3kguy

dean
2014 triumph street triple r
2019 ktm 1290 superduke gt

racerman_27410

I have noticed the same thing Stu.....it was a wicked winter for the mtns.

got some rain coming in today thankfully.... the all time record pollen levels have been kicking my a##

KOokaloo!

Frank