News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Tank Sealant

Started by ryanschoebel, July 17, 2018, 08:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iridewheelies

I cut up a chain saw chain into 5-6 pieces. Filled the tank with vinegar and let it sit for a few days. Opened it up saw a film of rust on the top of the vinegar. Drained some out so it wasnt 40 lbs. shook it for 10 mins. Came back shook it for another 10 mins. Make sure the nuts bolts chainsaw blade (in my case) is rattling and knocking the rust loose. Hopefully you dont uncover a pin hold leak. Either way! Doest matter. Continue with the rust removal. Flush it out very well. Do it again. Flush it out until there isnt any more rust coming out, or a minute amount. I didnt really read the thread, im just telling you guys what i did to cure my rust problem. After the tank was clear and dried out very well, i went to orileys and bought red kote fuel tank liner. Follow the directions, make sure there is a good layer inside the whole tank. Drain out thoroughly and let dry and air out for a week or more. this fuel tank liner will plug any pin holes, and help seal any remaning rust.