News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Hello from Alberta Canada

Started by coolhand, September 05, 2018, 09:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coolhand

I just picked up a mint mint mint 88 FJ1200.  Only 6160 kms on it.  Got it from the original owner, who only put those few km's on it over the first 10 years of its life, then stored it for the next 20. The bike has not been started in 5 years, but I plan on getting it going in a few days, and giving the bike a complete go over this winter....though there is little more to do than swap tires, and clean off 20 years worth of storage grime. 

TomJK

Very nice!
Carbs will need cleaning and tank could be rusted from the inside, that was the case on my FJ bought with 43500 km on clock and looking very good....
TomJK.
Past bikes : BMWR90-S,BMW R100CS, Ducati 900SD, Kawasaki GPZ600,Yamaha FJ1200,Kawasaki ZZR 1100 (4x),Kawasaki ZZR1200, Honda CBR1100XXX,Yamaha Thunderace, Kawasaki ZX10R (3X),
Aprillia Falco,Honda CBR600F4I, bikes today : Kawasaki ZX10R (C1, the best!),Yamaha FJ1200, soon to come Kawasaki Z900.....

fj johnnie

Another beauty. Welcome aboard.

ZOA NOM

Oh my... I thought I had the best luck ever. Nice find. Welcome aboard!

Quotethough there is little more to do than swap tires, and clean off 20 years worth of storage grime. 

LOL, boy, are you in for an awakening... :drinks:
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

FJmonkey

Welcome Coolhand, your bike looks to be in great shape. These bikes were awesome 30 years ago, compared to the bikes at that time. Imagine what adding current technology can do to it. Change the tires... Keep the old 16" bias ply rear tire or upgrade to 17" radial. Just fresh oil and seals in them old damper rod forks, or change the damper rod parts for an RPM cartridge valve custom designed for the FJ? The list goes on. We are here to help (enable) you get the most fun out of your FJ.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

red

Welcome, coolhand,

Looks great!  Should be a winner.  We have lots of tech help here, if you need a hand.

The world went away from 16" tires, since then.  There are two choices left that I know, for tires.  I run my FJ1100 on Pirelli Sport Demons (bias ply, and great).  Avon radials may be an option, maybe a little bit better, but I have not tried them.  Remember to change out the old rubber valve stems, too.

RPM here can set you up with braided stainless steel front brake lines, to replace the ancient rubber brake hoses.  Depending on your riding style, you may also want an RPM front fork brace.  They also have a rear shock that works, if needed. After that much, the list gets long, but maybe not a big deal for anything else right now.    :yes:   
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

fjbiker84

Will be interested to see an update on how hard it was to get it started.... and what problems that showed, if any.  Amazing bike though. 

Country Joe

Definitely an amazing find!!! Welcome to the forum. :good:
1993 FJ 1200

Millietant

What a piece of luck, those bodywork panels look absolutely unmarked !!!. Looks like you almost have a piece of "history" there.

It would almost be a shame to modernise it, or even to risk getting any of it damaged !

I suppose I'd update the back wheel (to 17"), change the tyres and the rear shock, get the RPM cartridge fork kit and put on a different set of silencers (or a 4 into 1 exhaust). Then give it a thorough service and carb overhaul and you should have a bike to use for many years to come.

BUT - I'd keep all of the original parts (for "posterity") and I think I'd really be tempted to scour the forums and eBay for another set of body panels and put the originals in storage. In that condition with original paint, they must be almost unobtainable.

Best of luck with your bike, I'm sure you will absolutely love it - and yes, I am well jealous  :smile:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

jscgdunn

Welcome!  She is a real nice one!

I'm in Bragg Creek....where are you located?

Jeff
92 FJ1200 2008 ZX14 Forks, wheels, 2008 cbr 600 RR swingarm
92 FJ1200 2009 R1 Swinger, Forks, Wheels, 2013 CBR 1000 Shock
90 FJ 1200 (Son # 2), Stock
89 FJ 1200 Built from parts: (Brother bought it) mostly 92 parts inc. motor
84 FJ 1100 (Son #1), 89 forks wheels, blue spots