News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Insurance in Ontario

Started by woodcreekpete, July 25, 2018, 05:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodcreekpete

So, summer being half over, I figure it's time to insure the FJ. A call to our regular insurer reveals that the FJ has been moved onto the restricted list and they will no longer offer a policy. It must have become more powerful over the winter. Tried a couple of other places - $1400, $1001, and $540 for 7months, all non-refundable and non-cancellable. Have to pay for the full year even though only half the year here is rideable.
I ride about maybe 10-12 days a month. Works out to about $15 every time I roll it out the door.
It's not like I'm some squid with a brand new license raging around on a Hayabusa. I'm far too close to 70 and have been riding for 48 years. Still alive too.
  Anybody figured out how to get a decent deal in this province?  If this is the best I can do, it might be time to hang up the gear. Boy do I miss ICBC . Peter

PaulG

OH NO Another Ontario insurance thread!  :dash2:  Yes mine has ballooned to $1700/yr.  I live in Scarborough and just due to my postal code I am getting F---D up the ---! Pardone mon Francais.  About the only way now to lower your rate is to move to a rural area or smaller town.  That seems to be the only option now.  Which at the moment is not an option for me.  :ireful:
1992 FJ1200 ABS
YouTube Channel Paul G

Bob

Ha... just read a similar thread on the V-Strom forum  :mad:  ... my 2017 V-Strom 650 cost less to insure ($850), with full coverage, than my '93 FJ with basic coverage (liability and injury), at $1100.   For now the FJ is in pieces, but someday I'd like to have it back on the road.  With these insurance rates I may have to give up on it. Bummer.

Bob N.
'93 FJ
'17 V-Strom DL650
Whitby, ON

johnod

Quote from: woodcreekpete on July 25, 2018, 05:18:13 PM
So, summer being half over, I figure it's time to insure the FJ. A call to our regular insurer reveals that the FJ has been moved onto the restricted list and they will no longer offer a policy. It must have become more powerful over the winter. Tried a couple of other places - $1400, $1001, and $540 for 7months, all non-refundable and non-cancellable. Have to pay for the full year even though only half the year here is rideable.
I ride about maybe 10-12 days a month. Works out to about $15 every time I roll it out the door.
It's not like I'm some squid with a brand new license raging around on a Hayabusa. I'm far too close to 70 and have been riding for 48 years. Still alive too.
 Anybody figured out how to get a decent deal in this province?  If this is the best I can do, it might be time to hang up the gear. Boy do I miss ICBC . Peter

Call Dalton Timmis,, you can get collector insurance, for about 3-350, year.
You have to get a appraisal, and there are restrictions, but if you don't ride much...

Also  Desjardins, seems to be one of the cheaper places for normal insurance. 
Running me just under 8 for a HD dresser and just under 7 for a Buell S2.
I'm early in 60s and live between Windsor and London, as an example.

red

FWIW, in the USA, when I moved my address from the city to the country, they had to give me back about half of the insurance premium that I had paid, that year.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

ryanschoebel

I don't know. I live in a huge city, have only been riding a year,and am 22. I pay 20 a month for basic insurance. Premium, top teir is only 40. I don't know how Ontario differs from Phoenix Az though...
1985 FJ1100-- Atlas (SOLD)
1984 FJ1100-- Storm

gumby302ho

Quote from: ryanschoebel on July 29, 2018, 12:32:36 AM
I don't know. I live in a huge city, have only been riding a year,and am 22. I pay 20 a month for basic insurance. Premium, top teir is only 40. I don't know how Ontario differs from Phoenix Az though...

Because Ontario is the corporate whipping boy of north america, we cant compare apples to oranges with the states do to economy's of scale. We pay the most for everything here full stop.

johnod

Quote from: gumby302ho on August 01, 2018, 06:33:42 PM
Quote from: ryanschoebel on July 29, 2018, 12:32:36 AM

Because Ontario is the corporate whipping boy of north america, we cant compare apples to oranges with the states do to economy's of scale. We pay the most for everything here full stop.

Ya well at least the weather is good.

O shit, no it isn't, :Facepalm: you're right, we're screwed.

Hemi Bob

Just received my bike renewal. I'm with Allstate The good hands people , or should I say fast fingers.
I have been with them since
2010 to 2015  $734.per year
2016 it dropped to $646
2017 $ up to $835
2018 $1067
I stopped in at my Allstate office to see why and after some useless talk and the girl
making  it look like she was working hard to find some saving I was told No its right $ 1067
the rates are government approved.
I've checked two other sources  $1200 & $988.   

Bob
Robert
1985 FJ1100  Original Owner
1986 FJ1200  X Drag Bike
1981 Suzuki GS 1100ex
1981 Suzuki GS 750ex

red

Quote from: Hemi Bob on August 07, 2018, 07:53:21 PM
Just received my bike renewal. I'm with Allstate The good hands people , or should I say fast fingers.
after some useless talk and the girl making  it look like she was working hard to find some saving I was told No its right $ 1067
the rates are government approved.  I've checked two other sources  $1200 & $988.   
Bob
Bob,

Does Foremost sell bike insurance there?  Cheapest that I know about for bikes, here.

An independent insurance agent may be needed, there.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Motofun

2018 $1067
I stopped in at my Allstate office to see why and after some useless talk and the girl
making  it look like she was working hard to find some saving I was told No its right $ 1067

Bob
Bob,  Don't know how it works up there but check into getting your '93 titled as an antique.  Antique insurance can be full coverage at a quarter of the price.  There may be a few restrictions so you have to check it out.
'69 Honda Trail 90
'75 Honda CB400F
'85 Yamaha RZ350
'85 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'09 Yamaha 125 Zuma
'09 Kawasaki KZ110 (grand kids)
'13 Suzuki GSXR 750 (track)
'14 Yamaha FZ-09
'18 Suzuki GSXR 1000R (track)
'23 Yamaha Tenere 7
SOLD: CBX,RZ500,Ninja 650,CB400F,V45 Sabre,CB700SC,R1

woodcreekpete

Quote from: Motofun on August 08, 2018, 06:10:23 AM

2018 $1067

Bob
Bob,  Don't know how it works up there but check into getting your '93 titled as an antique.  Antique insurance can be full coverage at a quarter of the price.  There may be a few restrictions so you have to check it out.

I checked with Dalton - Timmis about antique/collector status. The bike had to be 30 years old. I finally went with Riders Plus for about $1080. That's for the bare minimum liability and nothing else. If we had been willing to bundle in our house and car policies, the bike premium would have been cut by around 30 - 40%. The whole insurance thing is a complete scam with really no viable options.

Charlie-brm

Did Dalton Timmis mention the restrictions by going Antique? They've got my car and my FJ. There'd be a lot of FJ's that are now over 30 years old.

A few of us met a fellow in Guelph, Ontario who keeps half a dozen old motorcycles on vintage/collector/whatever status with an insurance company I can't remember. He is limited in distance per year per bike but with 6 bikes, he can take them all out and it adds up to a good season's riding and he claims he comes out ahead on costs. Clever if you have the storage space and the money for upkeep.
If someone wants to see any images I refer to in posts, first check my gallery here. If no bueno, send me a PM. More than glad to share.
Current Model: 1990 FJ1200 3CV since 2020
Past Models: 1984 FJ1100 - 2012 to 2020
1979 XS750SF - 2005 to 2012