News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Newly joined. Just got hold of a 1992 FJ1200. The ride home was amazing!

Started by THXFJ1200, July 29, 2018, 11:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THXFJ1200

Hello everyone, thanx in advance for the help and the love.

Just got my self a 1992 Yamaha FJ1200 with 66xxx km.

The bike came with full set of Givi hard bags "one key" but really has two different keys for the top and the side bags, and a Corbin seat, SWEET!!! this is my first ride in one of these seats, so comfy!

The lower cowl cover was off and the left lower corner broken and not to be found, all the 4 bolts are in the bike thou, so I guess my first inquiry to Google will be how to repair these and maybe how to reinforce them.
The small tabs for the front fender were also broken and somehow repaired but I would like to do a better job. Besides that a few scratches here and there and a little bit of oil spilling through the big round gasket at the left of the crankcase, very little thou, I assume a new gasket would fix this.

A small record of maintenance shows good ethics with this ride, regular oil changes, newish front tire and battery, previous owner to this seller told him the "second gear issue" has been repaired and it has never push second off to this guy so I assume is all good in that respect. I gave it a test ride and it felt really nice, shifting properly, the clutch was easy and the gears just clicked so fine!

This is my first bike of the sports kind and the sound and efficiency are so rewarding! Gave is a roll to the throttle on my way home doing 120kph and the thing just launched forward, Jesus the power!!! I was just grinning all the way home!

Anywho just looking forward to learning a lot about these bikes and get some awesome feedback here in the meanwhile. This bike also came with an owner's manual and a Clymer service manual. :biggrin:

I am located north of the border: Canada Eh, Vancouver BC.

Two wheels down gentlemen! Enjoy the summer.

Current: 1992 Yamaha FJ 1200 with ABS
Scooter Honda Elite CH150 fixer-upper
Suzuki Intruder VS800GL down in FL
Past:
Yamaha XT 350
Suzuki DL 650 "Wee-Strom" (first bike)

ZOA NOM

We expect to see you at the West Coast Rally next June! Welcome aboard!

I use Plastifix for any cracks or broken tabs.

PS - Fill in some details in your signature line that gives folks a quick look at what you're riding. It makes it easier to avoid advice for the wrong year, etc.
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

Derek Young

Welcome to the group! Congrats on your purchase of one of the finest motorcycles ever made! I considered buying that FJ, even just for the luggage. I'm glad it went to someone that made it here.

I'm just across the water in Nanaimo. If you're coming to the island, let me know. We could maybe get together for a ride.

As Rick said, give some thought to attending a rally. It's a great way to connect with your motorcycle on a whole different level. There are some great people on this forum and that's the best way to get to know some of them!

Derek
1986 FJ1200 (R.I.P.)
1991 FJ1200
Nanaimo, British Columbia

Canuck FJ

Welcome aboard; I'm in North Delta, so not far away at all.

I recently bought an FJ1100, but it's a project, so I won't be riding it this season.  I do, however, have a couple of other steeds in the corral, so maybe we could get together for a ride sometime.

There are a few others from the lower mainland on here as well.

Cheers...Glenn
'84 FJ1100 (project)
'86 FJ1200 (project)
'78 KZ650
'96 Triumph Trophy 900
'11 Kymco Yager 200i

aviationfred

Welcome to the forum  :hi:

There are a few FJ1100/FJ1200 specific plastic repair videos on YouTube.

There are a few members near your area. Look here and see others that have pinned themselves near you. Also you can pin yourself.

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=10618.0

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

THXFJ1200

Thanks to every one for the welcoming, I have been busy reading lot of threads here, since the bike has decided to start with some really bad hard shifting, I will be writing up some time a new thread about it.
Could anyone mention when is the rally happening, I have time to go riding in June and if I get the bike ready again it would be sweet to meet people with the same interest.
It would be also my first rally ride, so any tips would be very much welcome.
I don't remember if I mentioned but I am located in Vancouver. So if anyone in this forum wants to go for a ride in the summer season, please feel free to contact me and we can coordinate the details.
So far I have not got too much time to dedicate to the Yamaha since I have been busy and with too many other projects.
Thanks for the inclusion and you guys have the best summer ever.
Past:
Yamaha XT 350

Tuned forks

The West Coast Rally was last weekend.  Too bad, you could have come down with Derek and Donna.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

THXFJ1200

:Facepalm:
Damn!
Still, the bike is not rideable... so I could not make it even if I wanted.
So is it the first week of June every year?
I will keep it in mind for next year then... now I was about to start a thread to fix the bike to go out for summer.
Thanks for the info "Tuned forks".
Past:
Yamaha XT 350

Tuned forks

I've been told it is traditionally the weekend after Memorial weekend.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

andyoutandabout

You Sir, have been told right. There was a reason for this, but it may well now be considered irrelevant, so the date could change. However, it would be a case of if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The rallies suffer with date uncertainty due to everyone's incredibly busy modern life getting in the way of riding.
The super busy amongst us, like Randy, wisely post dates way ahead; see RPM rally ready to go in October.
Less organized people, like myself, tend to drop one in with about a weeks notice.
Case in point - the central rally was the following weekend to the WCR for a number of years. This worked great for those times as enthusiastic WCR riders convoyed out to Colorado at did the double.
The Renegade was timetabled originally to be the week after the RPM rally to entice the distance folk to stick around and make that double.
You can see the pros and cons and pretty much it's fifty fifty with some liking rallies evenly spread across the season, some able to block a couple of weeks off work and make two, and some never ever making a rally because of other concerns.
So are the very mixed bag of FJ riders.
Conclusion: do all you can to get to a rally, it's great. If you don't make one this year, next years rallies are rumored to be even greater.
life without a bike is just life