News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Loose clutch basket?

Started by Old Rider, August 09, 2018, 02:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Rider

I'm in the middle of replacing my clutch hoping that it will stop my noise from the engine.When i had taken off the fiber and metalplates grabbing the clutchbasket on the sides
i can rock it in  and out about 1-2millimeters is that normal? also when trying to move it forward and backwards there is no play. I have bought a used complete clutch with needlebearing  and when i installed it it was exactly the same play.I also tryed to switch the needlebearing in the clutchbasket with same result is the needlebearing toast? or is this normal play?

oldktmdude

There should be a thrust washer between the clutch hub and the needle bearing.
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure

Pat Conlon

1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Old Rider

The thrustwasher is in place.Let me be more precise the movent is more like the basket wobble on the shaft.I have been trying to find any specs for the needlebearing -spacer and  collar parts number 19 20 21 in the diagram (thanks for linking to that!)  but cant find any .The needlebearing seems very lose fit both in the basket and on the spacer but it looks nice .

oldktmdude

Quote from: Old Rider on August 10, 2018, 03:36:11 AM
The needlebearing seems very lose fit both in the basket and on the spacer but it looks nice .
Judging by the two clutches that I have dismantled and re-assembled recently, that maybe normal.
   Regards, Pete.
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure

Old Rider

Pete that's vital information thanks!
I Just came home from the dealer i took the spacer and needlebearing with me the mechanic had a look and sayd that it was difficult to tell if the bearing was worn since i also should have taken the clutchbasket with me .He sayd that its normal with a little wobble when rocking the basket so i did not order the bearing the price was about 90 USD.
So for now i ordered new fiberplates and metalplates.The metalplates i have fits very loose on the clutch hub splines I'm thinking that they mayby can make noise when clapping around.The splines on the hub looks okay with minimal growes in it.The basket have a little more growes but not bad.The bad sound comes exactly the moment when realising the clutchlever when the clutch engages.Its like there is nothing to dampen the  force from engine to rear wheel almost like gearing without clutch.

Next if noise still there after i have replaced the fiber and metalplates I'm thinking mayby i try to replace the cushion rubbers in the rear wheel mayby that will soften the force on transmission and clutch?

RPM - Robert

90 USD seems a bit much when we have them for a bit over 16 USD

BEARING, CYLINDER.#10 (Clutch Basket Bearing)
SPACER 1 (Clutch Basket Center Bearing Spacer)
Clutch Hub Lock Washer
RPM Clutch Pack
Yamaha OEM Clutch Pack
Steel Clutch Disc

A couple things on the Yamaha Clutch Basket and Clutch Boss Hub. The steels wear grooves where they ride into the hub and the fibers wear grooves where they ride into the basket. This creates some slop and noise. Nothing abnormal there.

Are you sure it isn't valve train noise from a loose valve? I know several people have already said this but alot of noise is from the starter chain on these engines, as there is no tensioner to hold it taunt. Nothing abnormal about starter chain noise either.

Old Rider

Quote from: RPM - Robert on August 10, 2018, 10:52:26 AM
90 USD seems a bit much when we have them for a bit of 16 USD

BEARING, CYLINDER.#10 (Clutch Basket Bearing)
SPACER 1 (Clutch Basket Center Bearing Spacer)
Clutch Hub Lock Washer
RPM Clutch Pack
Yamaha OEM Clutch Pack
Steel Clutch Disc

A couple things on the Yamaha Clutch Basket and Clutch Boss Hub. The steels wear grooves where they ride into the hub and the fibers wear grooves where they ride into the basket. This creates some slop and noise. Nothing abnormal there.

Are you sure it isn't valve train noise from a loose valve? I know several people have already said this but alot of noise is from the starter chain on these engines, as there is no tensioner to hold it taunt. Nothing abnormal about starter chain noise either.

Hi Robert Thanks for the link i just ordered the cylinder bearing and the pressureplate bearing + the hub lockwasher :good2:
im not sure if it is a valve lose it definitive can be that too because when starting the bike after the winter (it was stored outside in a corrodome plus a cover with the gastannk and carbs  drained an off ) it fired rigt up on first try but i heard 3 loud metalick pings mayby a valve? anyway i have checked the valveclearenses afterwards when i replaced the camchain and tensioner a little while ago .I could not find any valves that vas binding and all four sparkplugs are light brown and nice bike also runs good without any smoke from exhaust  .also can be the starterchain .when winter comes in oktober/november i planning to take the engine down in my cellar and tear it down and check
everything..(wich me luck) I have bought a used transmission from ebay for parts if there is something wrong with mine