News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Blue Bunny 2.0

Started by Zwartie, August 09, 2018, 08:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zwartie

Well, it finally happened. I know that it would eventually but didn't expect it so soon. We have a new member of the Blue Bunny family. BB2 is a 2006 FJR1300 that now resides happily in my garage next to BB1. I'm sure I'm biased (just a bit) but I do believe she is a beauty!

Not including dealerships, I'm the third owner of BB2. She currently has just over 67,000 km on the odometer (just shy of 100,000 behind BB1)

Upgrades and add-ons done by the previous owners include the following:

• Racetech front suspension
  • 2015 FJR1300 rear shock (much beefier than the 2006 FJR rear shock)
  • Power Commander ignition box
  • Auxiliary fuse box
  • Yamaha top case
  • Corbin heated seat (rider only)
  • Heated grips
  • Handlebar risers
  • Throttlemeister throttle lock
  • Steering stem RAM mount for GPS, phone...
  • Arsenal LED auxiliary lights
  • Headlight modulator (which is currently turned off and I will likely remove)
  • "Wig-Wag" LEDs at the front and back - nicely hidden in plain site when off and perfect for emergency road-side stops.
  • Taller Yamaha windscreen
  • New "upgraded" cam chain tensioner
  • New Bridgestone tires - I'll likely switch to PR4's once this set is done.
  • Valves checked last season and still in spec.
  • Coolant replaced last season
  • Final Drive oil replaced last season

I've only put about 100 km or so on BB2 and so far I can say it' been a blast! It's a similar, yet more refined ride than BB1. I would say power delivery is comparable - thanks to the 1314cc Wiseco kit in BB1. At this point in time I'm not sure what to do with BB1. I would really like to keep her for now and will likely spend some quality time cleaning her from top to bottom (or bottom to top) and doing some of those little things that I've been meaning to do but couldn't because I was too busy riding! That being said, if anyone is interested in BB1, let me know - reasonable offers may be considered. I also have a couple items that I'm looking to sell - a V&H complete SS2R exhaust system as well as a set of stock headers and collector. I'll post them separately.

Zwartie
1992 FJ1200 (BB1)
2006 FJR1300 (BB2)

Ben Zwart
London, ON
1992 FJ1200
1977 KZ200

Pat Conlon

You're not alone Ben, a few of our original FJ founders on the east coast have migrated over to the FJR's and have never looked back. The days of fussing with the carburetors and lubing the chain are gone.

I have ridden several FJR's and for a big bike, they do ok in the twisties, just ok, until you run out of clearance.
The back shock is the first recommended mod on the FJR. For a Hwy bike, the FJR is very nice. I give it a 7 in the twisties and a 8 on the highway. The only reason I don't score it a 9 on the hwy is due to the lack of a 6th gear. Still, they are nice bikes.

I'm looking forward to trying out the new 2018 six speed FJR.
In a couple of years, who knows, maybe a nice used '18 will be in the cards for me.

Tell me about the "upgraded" cam chain tensioner. What's that all about?

Skip the Pilot Road 4's and go to the Pilot Road 5's. I have 4650 miles on mine and they still look brand new.
The stiffer side wall and wider shoulders on the PR5 back tire eliminates the slight wiggle I had on my PR4's when 2nd gear powering out a switchback. Still, the mileage I got from the PR4's was amazing. Never have I had a back tire last 8200 miles on my FJ with a 1380cc engine....amazing. I suspect the PR5's will be the same.

Cheers!    Pat
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Zwartie

Pat,

I believe there were revisions of the cam chain tensioner that rattled and could potentially fail causing catastrophic damage. Do a Google search on FJR cam chain tensioner and you'll find some discussions on the FJR forum (of which I am now a member!). Thanks for the feedback on the Michelin Road 5's. I was told by our local Yamaha dealership Service Manager to steer clear of the Road 5's as they don't have as stiff a sidewall as the Pilot 4. That being said, I've been running the PR4 GT's on the FJ as I often ride two-up and loaded with gear and they've held up just fine - I got 16,000 km (10,000 miles) out of the last set. Glad to hear the 5's are doing well for you. By the time I need a new set on either the FJ or FJR I'm sure there will be some long-term reports.

Ben

Quote from: Pat Conlon on August 09, 2018, 10:02:12 PM
Tell me about the "upgraded" cam chain tensioner. What's that all about?

Skip the Pilot Road 4's and go to the Pilot Road 5's. I have 4650 miles on mine and they still look brand new.
The stiffer side wall and wider shoulders on the PR5 back tire eliminates the slight wiggle I had on my PR4's when 2nd gear powering out a switchback. Still, the mileage I got from the PR4's was amazing. Never have I had a back tire last 8200 miles on my FJ with a 1380cc engine....amazing. I suspect the PR5's will be the same.

Cheers!    Pat
Ben Zwart
London, ON
1992 FJ1200
1977 KZ200

Zwartie

BB1 and BB2 together in my front yard:

Ben Zwart
London, ON
1992 FJ1200
1977 KZ200