News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

12mpg just after carbs overhauled

Started by Kirsch, August 25, 2018, 02:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirsch

I bought back my "91 FJ from friend I sold it to 17 yrs ago. Much worse shape than what we thought it would be. Have completely rebuilt top end of engine. It still wants to spit and sputter under acceleration, runs great once at speed but sucks gas like crazy. Gauge sinks like a boat anchor! Got 12mpg on 60 mile run, ran out of gas way out middle of nowhere desert! Carbs synced, leaned out etc. Feels like maybe a valve sticking a little and know the reason, but 12mpg a mystery!! My mechanic thinks 2 new ignition coils might be in order, but I'm not convinced. Bike has only 23850 miles on it. I want this machine to run like new because it basically is! Anyone with suggestions or experience with problem, please let me know. Email address; lkirsch39@gmail.com. Thanks! Lloyd Kirschenmann, Las Cruces, NM

racerrad8

When you say rebuilt top of engine, what does that mean exactly. Valve job, valve job and piston rings or bore/hone, new pistons and complete cylinder head rebuild.

Have you ensured the cam timing is correct?

If you are using that much fuel, I would say you have a carb flooding issue.

Not sure why it would need coils because it sounds like it has enough spark once you get past the overloaded carbs.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM