News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Searching for an oil leak

Started by ryanschoebel, August 25, 2018, 10:56:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryanschoebel

Hey all, in trying to get my bike ready for the run to Cali this October, Im trying to track down an elusive oil leak, that i just cant seem to find. There may even be a few. Anytime i ride at highway speeds for more than about 15 minutes or so,my rear tire starts collecting oil, and anytime i park it, there will be a few drips, by the kickstand . Any tips or tricks to track this thing down?
1985 FJ1100-- Atlas (SOLD)
1984 FJ1100-- Storm

Pat Conlon

Wash the engine then spray on foot powder. If you're getting oil on the back tire, it's dangerous.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

racerrad8

Left side or right side of the tire/wheel?

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

ryanschoebel

Quote from: Pat Conlon on August 25, 2018, 11:30:52 AM
Wash the engine then spray on foot powder. If you're getting oil on the back tire, it's dangerous.

I know its not good, i keep a careful eye on it. and Randy, both, but heavier on the right
1984 FJ1100-- Storm

ryanschoebel

Alright, so I might be dumb... After lots of searching, lots of brake cleaner to clean old oil off, i found what i think is the source... my oil drain plug doesnt have a washer/gasket that i can see. I couldnt see that before, until i pulled my exhaust off.  :wacko2:
1984 FJ1100-- Storm

red

Quote from: ryanschoebel on August 25, 2018, 08:46:38 PMAlright, so I might be dumb... After lots of searching, lots of brake cleaner to clean old oil off, i found what i think is the source... my oil drain plug doesnt have a washer/gasket that i can see. I couldnt see that before, until i pulled my exhaust off.
Ryan,

That washer/gasket is Yamaha P/N 214-11198-01-00.

The FJ drain plug P/N decodes to a 14mm "bolt."  Volkswagen has a few models now that use 14mm drain plugs, so a good auto parts store may have them in stock at a fair price.  There may be several "crush washers" (or more) in the package.  Call around and check prices.  Their "crush washer" may be soft aluminum or copper.   Use brake cleaner and paper towels to clean the old oil off of everything there.  Install the plug and "crush washer" with wet (uncured) RTV sealant on the "crush washer," top and bottom.  Then torque the drain plug to a reasonable value, and it will not leak again.   8)  
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

ryanschoebel

Sounds good, thanks Red. I actually just ordered those,and a few other things I needed from RPM. I got a metal crush washer, and a new plug as well.
1984 FJ1100-- Storm

CutterBill

Drain plugs do NOT need sealant, of any kind. That's what the crush washer does... seal. If you install a new washer and it leaks, then something is wrong. Fix the problem; don't slap a band-aid on it.

Look at it this way... when that bike was new on the dealer floor, the drain plug didn't have any sealer on it. And it didn't leak.
Bill
Never Slow Down, Never Grow Old.

Current Stable:                                                     
FJ1100                                              
FJ1200 (4)
1999 Yamaha WR400 (street-legal)
2015 Super Tenere
2002 Honda Goldwing

ZOA NOM

Check to be sure the current drain plug wasn't cross-threaded. Make sure the surface the new washer presses against is free of flaws.
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

ryanschoebel

Bill, and Rick, thanks for the heads up. Much appreciated.
1984 FJ1100-- Storm