News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Fixing front signal mounting tabs

Started by Tuned forks, September 20, 2018, 09:53:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuned forks

So both of my front turn signal lens mounting tabs were broken.  One broken tab led to a lens falling out at speed.  :mad:  Try finding another right front lens for a '90 model.  Anyway, for those less versed, I thought I would include a brief tutorial. 

First thing to do is scuff on what remains of the original tabs.  I used a piece of 80 grit sandpaper. 

Second is to cut a piece(s) of metal that approximates the shape of the tabs.  As both of my tabs were broken, I guessed at the overall length.  I also tried to follow the contour of the tab remains.  Aluminum was my choice as I had some in the garage and I knew it would be easy to drill and thread a screw into it.

Third.  Mix up some autobody epoxy.  Not your hardware store version although that may work too.  I totally believe in body panel adhesive as it's strong as all get out.  I've included a pic of the two tubes.  The brand is obscured but it's 3M.

Fourth, apply epoxy to tab remains.  Tap Plastics sells some neat wooden mixing sticks.  I used a small one as the amount of epoxy was small.

Fifth, apply new metal tabs and clamp lightly into position.  If you use too much clamping force they may slide off or around.

Sixth, wait a day or so for epoxy to cure and harden.  Remove clamps.

Seventh, lightly install lens and then using the screw hole, mark on the metal tab where to drill. Remove the lens and then, drill the hole.  Sorry, I don't remember which drill bit size I used.  If you're using steel tab, you'll need a drill size closer to the screw size.  I went small and let the screw thread it's way thru.

Eighth, reinstall the lens.  Personally I think this repair is stronger than the original mounting system.
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

Tuned forks

1990 FJ1200-the reacher

Tuned forks

1990 FJ1200-the reacher

Tuned forks

and now happy bike with both "eyes" sturdily mounted at the Mecca for motorcycles on the SF Peninsula.
1990 FJ1200-the reacher

Troyskie

1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz

Tuned forks

Thank you.  I figured my bike can't be the only one out there with broken tabs.
1990 FJ1200-the reacher

Troyskie

My guess would be probably 80% have likely been repaired. Do you reckon it is worth a poll?
1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz