News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Started by Paul.1478, September 28, 2018, 09:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryanschoebel

Sounds like you got a good bike, and are going to have alot of fun! Keep us posted on any mods and changes you make!
1985 FJ1100-- Atlas (SOLD)
1984 FJ1100-- Storm

Millietant

Quote from: Paul.1478 on October 01, 2018, 01:35:31 PM
OK, new official member. 93 with 12K miles.
it has some problems, from idle it bogs when you twist the throttle. the pervious owner put new brass in and larger pilot jets. I called RPM (who he got the new jets from) and they could not be nicer. took about 10 min to talk with me. I will just pull the crabs off and send to them for the 150 clean and check. I am sure that is it.
Brakes feel strange, think it needs a rebuilt master or the brake upgrade stops OK just feels.. well hard to explain.
super nice looking bike and past 3K, hold on..
Super excited.

Paul

Plenty of Gen1 FZ1/R1/YZF1000R blue spot front brake calipers for sale on eBay for not a lot of money  :good2:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

Tuned forks

Quote from: Paul.1478 on October 01, 2018, 01:35:31 PM
and past 3K, hold on..
Super excited.

Paul

Wait until you grab a fist full of throttle and get past 5000.  Hint, hint, you'll learn what a kookaloo moment feels like.
Welcome to the addiction.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

red

Quote from: Paul.1478 on October 01, 2018, 01:35:31 PMOK, new official member. 93 with 12K miles. it has some problems
Brakes feel strange, think it needs a rebuilt master or the brake upgrade stops OK just feels.. well hard to explain.
Paul
Paul,

Now I do not have a '93, but generically:  The old rubber brake hoses can be replaced with braided stainless steel hoses.  If you plan to use a fork brace, the Y-splitter in the hose assembly can be in the way, so you can eliminate that part, if you wish, with two new hoses, one going to each caliper.  I believe RPM can set you up, or any decent hydraulic shop can make braided SS hoses (in colors) for you.  Braided SS hoses will probably be a significant brake upgrade, there.  Use the "new" front brakes with caution, at first.

I believe there is a bushing in the brake lever, that pushes the Master Cylinder rod.  You may have a badly worn bushing there (it is part of the MC rebuild kit), or if there is no bushing, you may need a new brake lever.  You might want an upgrade to aftermarket hand levers, then.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Pat Conlon

Very good Paul :good2:

You're in good hands with Robert and Randy. Did the previous owner (PO) have any service records?
The reason I ask is at 12k is a good time to check your valves.

[rant on]
I know what you mean on the weird feel of the ABS. I restored and rode Jason Lawson's '93 and I noticed the same thing. I wondered if the vague feel was from the 23 miles of rubber brake lines used on the ABS.
Squeeze the front brake lever past threshold, the ABS pump starts cycling and the rear brake pedal drops down, WTF is with that? Never figured that one out. What does the front brake have to do with the rear?
The FJ's don't used a linked front/back brake system, like Honda.
When I finished the resto on Jason's bike, new HH pads fully bedded, I took it out to my special secret test road and tested the ABS stopping distances at 30/60/80 mph. I compared those distances to my '92's non ABS bike (with monoblock blue spots /FZ-1 m/c and same HH pads) and found I could consistency stop quicker in a shorter distance with the '92 non ABS. This was on a dry clean road.
Of course ABS is a much safer system on wet pavement. No question. In a panic mode? Yes, it's safer.
[rant off]

With Jason's '93, we ended up with the front brakes non ABS (FZ-1/ blue spots/ SS lines) and kept the rear brake ABS.  That's the best. I liked the rear brake ABS. That was cool. I'm a clumsy galoot with the brake pedal. I have better control with my right hand working the lever at threshold than I will ever have with my right foot.

Anyhoo.... Enjoy that bike!
If you do decide to keep the ABS, replace the 23 miles of 30 year old rubber brake hoses with some SS lines.

Cheers.  Pat
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Paul.1478

No service records but the oil was just changed fork oil ect. new plugs. I plan on checking the valves when it is apart with Carbs to RPM to be cleaned. also going to run new brake fluid through the breaks and clutch. I know that goes bad and this is an old bike no matter the miles on it. I have seen some posting of what to do on a FJ and was planning on following this.

The front end is so soft it is almost dangerous. I added as much preload as the screws would let me but little change. I will check the spacers/sag, oil level. if this is all good I will need to order new springs from RPM and there valves.
my Goldwing was like this when I first go it, new springs and spacers made it a completely different bike but I hope I can resolve without spending too much.

Thanks all... Great bike, everything so far I thought it would be looking past the few minor issues.
2006 GL1800
2009 KLR650
1976 RD400
1993 FJ 1200 ABS

Millietant

Quote from: Paul.1478 on October 02, 2018, 07:53:36 AM
No service records but the oil was just changed fork oil ect. new plugs. I plan on checking the valves when it is apart with Carbs to RPM to be cleaned. also going to run new brake fluid through the breaks and clutch. I know that goes bad and this is an old bike no matter the miles on it. I have seen some posting of what to do on a FJ and was planning on following this.

The front end is so soft it is almost dangerous. I added as much preload as the screws would let me but little change. I will check the spacers/sag, oil level. if this is all good I will need to order new springs from RPM and there valves.
my Goldwing was like this when I first go it, new springs and spacers made it a completely different bike but I hope I can resolve without spending too much.

Thanks all... Great bike, everything so far I thought it would be looking past the few minor issues.

LOL Paul, go for the USD FZR 1000 front forks & wheel conversion with 320mm discs, better calipers, SS brake lines and 0.95 kg/m fork springs - if you're anything like me, you'll marvel at the difference (on braking I already had SS brake lines before I upgraded the whole front end, but the new discs, calipers and master cylinder have given a much more "forcefull" braking sensation, with better control/feel, and the front also dives less  :good2: :good2: under braking.
Dean

Paul.1478

well I get the bike sorted a bit. when I got it, I could not help notice how SOFT it was. I got air from a gas station, looked ok.
went home, all pre-load were softest settings. turned the forks and shock all the way up and the rebound all the way up, but was still flaky. it wanted to standup during the turns and just felt unsafe.
Then I got my tire gauge out, ok, note to self, gas station air, don't trust it! they were about 24 lbs each.
MUCH better, still stock but much better.
I am going to take the carbs off this weekend and send to RPM (it bogs with a quick twist at idle) and send them the forks. for 150 for the crab cleaning and 175 for the forks, for me, no brainer. I will have them change springs/seals and put the valves in.
I will check the valves while the bike is apart and see what I see. I notice a loud ticking but seem to be only on the left side and I have read that is something to do with the cam, normal and not an issue but no need not to at least take a look while it is apart.

2006 GL1800
2009 KLR650
1976 RD400
1993 FJ 1200 ABS

Millietant

:bad:

Not sure if it's standard advice or not, but I take out the the two top bolts holding the rear sub-frame to the bike frame and let it drop (slowly) onto a block of wood sitting on the tyre. This gives extra clearance to get the air box out easily.

When putting the carbs back on, I've made a "tool" out of a wire coat hanger to help ease/pull and stubborn carb rubbers into place between the inner carbs and the air box, where they don't immediately slide into place - saves a lot of time and messing about with flat screwdrivers.
Dean

FJmonkey

Dropping the rear sub-frame is recommended. Warming up the rubber makes them a little softer as well.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Paul.1478

Quote from: Millietant on October 04, 2018, 01:42:27 PM
:bad:

Not sure if it's standard advice or not, but I take out the the two top bolts holding the rear sub-frame to the bike frame and let it drop (slowly) onto a block of wood sitting on the tyre. This gives extra clearance to get the air box out easily.

When putting the carbs back on, I've made a "tool" out of a wire coat hanger to help ease/pull and stubborn carb rubbers into place between the inner carbs and the air box, where they don't immediately slide into place - saves a lot of time and messing about with flat screwdrivers.

I have the Unipods on it. I hope this will be easy but if needed,  I will check for the sub frame. I assume it should be apparent when I am in there.
I have the stock airbox, what a monstrosity it is.
2006 GL1800
2009 KLR650
1976 RD400
1993 FJ 1200 ABS

Millietant

Yep - it's defo obvious  :good2:
Dean

Tuned forks

Paul, with the airbox out this is what things will look like.  Super easy to remove the carbs.  Removing the cables from the carb linkage is tough but you can separate the cables at the cable box. White plastic box located under the gas tank. Don't lose the little screws.  Might want to take a pic after you remove the cable box lid.
1990 FJ1200-the reacher

Pat Conlon

Quote from: Tuned forks on October 04, 2018, 06:36:21 PM
Removing the cables from the carb linkage is tough but you can separate the cables at the cable box. White plastic box located under the gas tank.....

Negative Joe. No cable splitter box on the '93's. Really a shame, it sure makes carb r/r a snap.
The '91-'93's have (2) 1 piece continuous cables from the carbs to the throttle.

What I do on those is to unhook the push/pull cables from the throttle tube, disconnect the cables from the throttle housing, and then pull the carbs off with with the cables attached.
It is much easier to disconnect (and reconnect) the push/pull cables on the carb linkage when you have the assembly on the bench.

Cheers
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Tuned forks

There I go showing my naivete again.

That's a serious bummer about no cable box.  Paul can pretty much ignore everything I wrote now.
1990 FJ1200-the reacher