News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Started by Paul.1478, September 28, 2018, 09:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

krusty

Quote from: Paul.1478 on October 04, 2018, 11:34:47 AM
well I get the bike sorted a bit. when I got it, I could not help notice how SOFT it was. I got air from a gas station, looked ok.
went home, all pre-load were softest settings. turned the forks and shock all the way up and the rebound all the way up, but was still flaky. it wanted to standup during the turns and just felt unsafe.
Then I got my tire gauge out, ok, note to self, gas station air, don't trust it! they were about 24 lbs each.
MUCH better, still stock but much better.
I am going to take the carbs off this weekend and send to RPM (it bogs with a quick twist at idle) and send them the forks. for 150 for the crab cleaning and 175 for the forks, for me, no brainer. I will have them change springs/seals and put the valves in.
I will check the valves while the bike is apart and see what I see. I notice a loud ticking but seem to be only on the left side and I have read that is something to do with the cam, normal and not an issue but no need not to at least take a look while it is apart.

Re "flaky" handling. How old are the tyres?
91 FJ1200
84 FJ1100 x 2
85 FJ1100
89 GL1500
76 CB750F1
72 CB350F
63 C92 x 2
59 C76
62 C100
63 C100
60 Colleda 250TA x 3
63 Suzuki MD50
77 DT125E
77 DT175E x 2
79 DT250F

ribbert

Quote from: Pat Conlon on October 04, 2018, 07:25:06 PM
Quote from: Tuned forks on October 04, 2018, 06:36:21 PM
Removing the cables from the carb linkage is tough but you can separate the cables at the cable box. White plastic box located under the gas tank.....

Negative Joe. No cable splitter box on the '93's. Really a shame, it sure makes carb r/r a snap.
The '91-'93's have (2) 1 piece continuous cables from the carbs to fthe throttle.

What I do on those is to unhook the push/pull cables from the throttle tube, disconnect the cables from the throttle housing, and then pull the carbs off with with the cables attached.
It is much easier to disconnect (and reconnect) the push/pull cables on the carb linkage when you have the assembly on the bench.

Cheers

Pat, you're still making hard work of it.......

Rest the carbs near where they will be mounted and wedge them wide open (the screwdriver handle in the picture)....

......this gives you heaps of slack inner cable (below), now fit the cables, remove the whatever is holding the carbs open and the cables will snap taught, then mount the carbs on the motor. This makes fitting them a breeze, not even any tools required, you can do it with your fingers.

It takes me 30 seconds max to fit both cables, without blood or bad language.

When I am shown, read about, hear of or discover a better way to do something it is imprinted on my mind instantly and forever. This is what's so frustrating about the forum, Someone can post handy hints, such as the one above which has been posted many times, and next week, month, whenever the question is asked again, it
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Motofun

For what it's worth....I print a copy of the picture and put it in my 3 ring binder (in this case under "carbs").  I usually take a quick tour through my book when I'm about to tackle a significant repair job just to jog my memory. 
'69 Honda Trail 90
'75 Honda CB400F
'85 Yamaha RZ350
'85 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'09 Yamaha 125 Zuma
'09 Kawasaki KZ110 (grand kids)
'13 Suzuki GSXR 750 (track)
'14 Yamaha FZ-09
'18 Suzuki GSXR 1000R (track)
'23 Yamaha Tenere 7
SOLD: CBX,RZ500,Ninja 650,CB400F,V45 Sabre,CB700SC,R1

Paul.1478

Quote from: krusty on October 04, 2018, 08:47:25 PM
well I get the bike sorted a bit. when I got it, I could not help notice how SOFT it was. I got air from a gas station, looked ok.
went home, all pre-load were softest settings. turned the forks and shock all the way up and the rebound all the way up, but was still flaky. it wanted to standup during the turns and just felt unsafe.
Then I got my tire gauge out, ok, note to self, gas station air, don't trust it! they were about 24 lbs each.
I am going to take the carbs off this weekend and send to RPM (it bogs with a quick twist at idle) and send them the forks. for 150 for the crab cleaning and 175 for the forks, for me, no brainer. I will have them change springs/seals and put the valves in.
I will check the valves while the bike is apart and see what I see. I notice a loud ticking but seem to be only on the left side and I have read that is something to do with the cam, normal and not an issue but no need not to at least take a look while it is apart.

Hello,
it was due to LOW air pressure. they were at about 24 lbs. when I filled them to the correct pressure it was a totally different bike. tires are about 80% new.
2006 GL1800
2009 KLR650
1976 RD400
1993 FJ 1200 ABS

Paul.1478

Quote from: ribbert on October 05, 2018, 05:37:48 AM
Quote from: Pat Conlon on October 04, 2018, 07:25:06 PM
Quote from: Tuned forks on October 04, 2018, 06:36:21 PM
Removing the cables from the carb linkage is tough but you can separate the cables at the cable box. White plastic box located under the gas tank.....

Negative Joe. No cable splitter box on the '93's. Really a shame, it sure makes carb r/r a snap.
The '91-'93's have (2) 1 piece continuous cables from the carbs to fthe throttle.

What I do on those is to unhook the push/pull cables from the throttle tube, disconnect the cables from the throttle housing, and then pull the carbs off with with the cables attached.
It is much easier to disconnect (and reconnect) the push/pull cables on the carb linkage when you have the assembly on the bench.

Cheers

Pat, you're still making hard work of it.......

Rest the carbs near where they will be mounted and wedge them wide open (the screwdriver handle in the picture)....

......this gives you heaps of slack inner cable (below), now fit the cables, remove the whatever is holding the carbs open and the cables will snap taught, then mount the carbs on the motor. This makes fitting them a breeze, not even any tools required, you can do it with your fingers.

It takes me 30 seconds max to fit both cables, without blood or bad language.

When I am shown, read about, hear of or discover a better way to do something it is imprinted on my mind instantly and forever. This is what's so frustrating about the forum, Someone can post handy hints, such as the one above which has been posted many times, and next week, month, whenever the question is asked again, it

this is great. Thank you. not sure if I would have thought of this or not. with the photos it makes it very easy to envision.
2006 GL1800
2009 KLR650
1976 RD400
1993 FJ 1200 ABS

Pat Conlon

I've tied it you way Noel, many times. I like working on my bench.
Even with a soft wood dowel (never a hard plastic handle) I've seen throttle plates bend.

For me, my way is easier, besides it becomes a perfect time to lube my cables.
I do enjoy the ease of the '84-'90 splitter box.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

krusty

Quote from: Paul.1478 on October 05, 2018, 07:16:04 AM
Quote from: krusty on October 04, 2018, 08:47:25 PM

Hello,
it was due to LOW air pressure. they were at about 24 lbs. when I filled them to the correct pressure it was a totally different bike. tires are about 80% new.
I have a GL1500 with tyres that are about 90% BUT they are 11 years old. They handle good in the dry but there's no way I would trust them on a wet road. I have replacements ready to go on when I get home from vacation. (Not looking forward to changing the rear)
91 FJ1200
84 FJ1100 x 2
85 FJ1100
89 GL1500
76 CB750F1
72 CB350F
63 C92 x 2
59 C76
62 C100
63 C100
60 Colleda 250TA x 3
63 Suzuki MD50
77 DT125E
77 DT175E x 2
79 DT250F

red

Quote from: Paul.1478 on October 05, 2018, 07:16:04 AM
Quote from: krusty on October 04, 2018, 08:47:25 PMHello,
I have a GL1500 with tyres that are about 90% BUT they are 11 years old. They handle good in the dry but there's no way I would trust them on a wet road. I have replacements ready to go on when I get home from vacation. (Not looking forward to changing the rear)
Sorry, guys,

Tread depth is no good indication of tire age or reliability, IMHO.  Click the link, and scroll down . . .

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

For these strong and heavy bikes, it may be getting-nervous time when a tire is maybe 5~7 years old.  Your call, sure, but an old tire can fail very badly, and maybe suddenly. 

I got my FJ on old tires with good deep tread.  I wanted to wear down the tread more before I got new tires, but I locked the rear wheel once too often, and so I tossed them.  New Pirellis made my bike a whole new machine.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

ribbert

Quote from: Pat Conlon on October 08, 2018, 01:38:45 PM

..... I've seen throttle plates bend.

I had assumed a level of competency commensurate with removing the carbies, I can't even comprehend how so much force could be applied as to bend the plates by propping them open.

Anyway, to each their own, if you like doing it on the bench so be it but circumstances don't always allow for such a leisurely and controlled process nor warrant making it any more work than it needs to be.

Just as well we're all different, eh Pat?

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

ribbert

Quote from: ribbert on October 09, 2018, 08:22:21 AM
Quote from: Pat Conlon on October 08, 2018, 01:38:45 PM

..... I've seen throttle plates bend.

I had assumed a level of competency........

Noel

It has just been pointed out to me that there are folks here who might think I was referring to Pat, I wasn't, I was referring to whoever was responsible for the bent plates he has seen.

We don't want any misunderstanding.

Noel

Paul.1478

I got my carbs back from RPM Thursday.
Took the day off to put them on and finish up the bike.
Added the 2 required shims. New valve cover casket new rubber for valve cover bolts.
New brake pads ect.
Thanks for the above on cable install it would have been a disaster without it. Still not easy
Took the bike for a ride to the north GA mountians for a 300 mile ride.
Carbs as you all know. Perfect. No flat spot. The bike handles well through the twisties and really is fast in the straights. New suspension and tires is going to make the twisties better.
Bike was more than I thought it was for all these years of wanting one.
2006 GL1800
2009 KLR650
1976 RD400
1993 FJ 1200 ABS