News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Wheel conversions: What front/rear wheels still readily available?

Started by indyblue, October 09, 2018, 10:58:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Millietant

Quote from: PaulG on October 30, 2018, 01:50:17 AM
Quote from: Millietant on October 29, 2018, 02:24:35 PM
I know I'm only 7hrs drive from Edinburgh, probably the gateway to what you're indicating.

7hrs to Edinborough from the middle of the UK?  You must take the scenic route.  :sarcastic:

Nope, just the traffic (and using a car) - it's taken me 6 and 1/2 hours to do the 140 mile journey home from work before, where 128 miles of that is on the motorway.

It's 334 miles. By rights I should be able to do it under 5 hours - I did in just over 4 years about 10 years ago. But now, with the amount of roadworks on the M6 and average speed camera's everywhere, it's taken around 4 and 1/2 hours to get to Liverpool the has couple of times I've driven there, so I'd go up the M1 and A1.

I used to think travelling in the early hours  would be a better idea, but since now that's when the M1 and A1 get closed for overnight roadworks, it's a lottery.

I had a different view on traffic when I lived in Durham, didn't understand how bad it gets !!  :biggrin:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

Millietant

Hey Paul - a friend has just come back to my house from Elgin - Google Maps says under 9 hours (489 miles) - it took them 13 and 1/2. Biggest issue was the 5 hours from the M62 to Junction 1 of M6  :-(

Don't like whisky that much  :biggrin:
Dean

gumby302ho

Just curious as to why the 17 inch rim from 92 or 93 and up seem not to be wanted over the old 16 inch. I believe its a straight bolt on. I picked up a set of 93 forks and rim and have the springs and valves from RPM to upgrade my 86 and shed the anti dives, I need blue/gold spots next and pick out a new MC and new rotors and new lines then finally I hope to have proper braking and good suspension. It has been a while buying parts here and there, I hope I got my information right on this front end mod. American dollars are expensive to buy with Canadian bucks.

FJmonkey

Quote from: gumby302ho on February 12, 2019, 12:28:42 PM
Just curious as to why the 17 inch rim from 92 or 93 and up seem not to be wanted over the old 16 inch.

The 89+ FJ forks and wheel make a good upgrade over the 16". The only issue I see with the FJ 17" front wheel is the 3 inch width. This width is best fitted with a 110 wide tire and the selection is not that good. A 3.5 inch width (like the FZR wheel) takes the much more popular 120 width tire. However, a 120 can be fitted to the FJ 3 inch wheel and works well as far as I know. But a 120 wide tire on a 3 inch wide wheel will pinch the profile. But how and what kind of riding you do might not make this an issue.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

FJ_Hooligan

I haven't heard that the '92 and up 17 inch wheels were not desirable.

The only thing I can think of is the ABS version requires different brake rotors, so you couldn't reuse your current rotors.

Other than that, I can't think of any reason to avoid a '92 + front wheel.
DavidR.

Millietant

Quote from: FJ_Hooligan on February 12, 2019, 05:26:21 PM

The only thing I can think of is the ABS version requires different brake rotors, so you couldn't reuse your current rotors.

Yup, ABS element would be the only reason why I could think the later 17" wheels could be less preferable to the earlier (non ABS equipped) versions of the 17" FJ front end.

Personally, I also agree about the 3.5" wheel width being a better rim for the 120 front tyre. I believe my FJ with its FZR front end feels much more neutral at the front with a more linear and predictable turn-in when cornering. The ever-present shimmying from the front end when coasting down from below 50mph with very lightly weighted/gripped handlebars has also completely disappeared since fitting FZR front forks/wheel and 120/70 tyre. It may be coincidence but this is the first time in 29 years that the shimmy has not been noticeable !
Dean

gumby302ho

Quote from: FJ_Hooligan on February 12, 2019, 05:26:21 PM

Well I hope the front rim I picked up from flea bay last year is not from an ABS FJ, I think it was a none ABS FJ it came from but I dont remember, I guess if the rotors dont match up I will have my answer! This all started with wanting to upgrade front forks for me and shed the anti dive and while I am there it would be nice to have better front brakes and even further get away from 16 inch bias ply, snowball effect applies here. Thanks for the input gents as always. One day I will have the front end that handles and stops like it should.

ribbert

Quote from: FJmonkey on February 12, 2019, 12:58:58 PM
Quote from: gumby302ho on February 12, 2019, 12:28:42 PM
Just curious as to why the 17 inch rim from 92 or 93 and up seem not to be wanted over the old 16 inch.

...... However, a 120 can be fitted to the FJ 3 inch wheel and works well as far as I know.......

You're right Mark, it can and it does. The notion that is doesn't fit properly and therefore is dangerous has been around here for a while.

Yamaha fitted a 120 new, specified a 120 replacement, the major tyre manufacturers all recommend a 120, any expert/professional is going to recommend a 120

What changed?

Michelin, Metzeler and Avon don't even make a 110 rated for the FJ's speed and weight and there is no such thing as a PR4 in that size.

I've put 20 front tyres on the FJ in the last 10 years, all of them 120's. I would not even consider putting a skinny little thing like a 110 on a bike that size and weight. In fact, if you ride your bike hard, I would consider it unsafe to do so.

Whoever started this small tyre thing failed to take into account that any modern bike with a 3"rim is going to be considerably smaller and lighter and less powerful than an FJ.
A 110 tyre just ain't big enough or rated for a bike like the FJ (if ridden hard).

Below is the Avon fitment chart (others appear the same) showing the rim size range for a 120 front tyre.

IMO

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

aviationfred

I agree with Noel on this. The OEM front tire on the 1984 FJ1100 came from Yamaha as a 120. This was installed and a 16" x 2.75" wheel. When Yamaha changed to the 17" wheel, they gave the wheel an extra quarter of an inch to 3". I believe that I recall it being mentioned somewhere on this forum that the 110 width tire was recommended by Avon for the AV46 Azarro tire model used on the 17" x 3" wheel, something about being a radial tire versus being bias ply. From there, I think it morphed into the 110 width was the better size for all tires used on the 3" wheels.

My personal thoughts have always been. Since Yamaha put the 120 width tire on the FJ from the factory, than that is what should be used.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

Urban_Legend

These ^^^ 2 guys have done more miles on two wheels that just about anyone else I know. Im with them.

Mark  :good:
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

Alf

Quote from: ribbert on February 14, 2019, 05:46:23 AM

Michelin, Metzeler and Avon don't even make a 110 rated for the FJ's speed and weight and there is no such thing as a PR4 in that size.

I've put 20 front tyres on the FJ in the last 10 years, all of them 120's. I would not even consider putting a skinny little thing like a 110 on a bike that size and weight. In fact, if you ride your bike hard, I would consider it unsafe to do so.

Whoever started this small tyre thing failed to take into account that any modern bike with a 3"rim is going to be considerably smaller and lighter and less powerful than an FJ.
A 110 tyre just ain't big enough or rated for a bike like the FJ (if ridden hard).

Noel, I dont agree with you. Avon, Metzeler, Avon, Dunlop... all the majors tyre makers build 110 tyres with appropriate weight & speed specifications to suit our FJs, radial tyres most of them

And a 110/70/17 works wonderfully fitted in the OE FJ 3" rim. Tested. And safer than a 120 tyre on the 3" rim. And Dunlop Radial Roadsmarts or Avon Spirits are far away better tyres than byas-beleted Avon Roadriders i.e.

Millietant

Switching back to rear wheels, I used a Yamaha "Thundercat" YZF 600 R (pre - R6) rear wheel, disc and (narrowed) mounting arm. The standard FJ caliper, mounted above the swing arm and torque arm can be used as well, but the rear brake hose needs to be about 1" longer (following the original routing.

I'm struggling to remember (as I did the physical part of the conversion quite a few years back now) but I think I used the original FJ sprocket carrier in the 600 hub (if not, then a FJ sprocket fits right onto the carrier). The FJ sprocket is shouldered, but by reversing it and a (tiny) bit of machining, it all fit and lined up without having to machine the spacer on the drive side (again, I've forgotten which spacer I used, the 600 or the 1200).

All in all, it was a very easy wheel swap and the replacement wheel still has the Yamaha branding and part references on it and it really looks like a Yamaha "original figment".
Dean

ribbert

Quote from: Alf on February 15, 2019, 04:42:01 PM

Noel, I dont agree with you. Avon, Metzeler, Avon, Dunlop... all the majors tyre makers build 110 tyres with appropriate weight & speed specifications to suit our FJs, radial tyres most of them

And a 110/70/17 works wonderfully fitted in the OE FJ 3" rim. Tested. And safer than a 120 tyre on the 3" rim. And Dunlop Radial Roadsmarts or Avon Spirits are far away better tyres than byas-beleted Avon Roadriders i.e.

Fair enough Alf, I should have been more specific about which tyres. I always respect your views and experience on FJ related matters, but in my opinion the FJ is too heavy and fast for a 110, on this point we'll have to agree to disagree.

However, my opinion aside, the fact remains that Yamaha and every tyre manufacturer recommend a 120, why fit something smaller?

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Alf

Well, myself I´ve always used 120 with the apropiarte front FZR rim, but I know FJowners with 110s and I´ve tested some of these and everything go right

Its true that even the speed index is the same between 110 & 120s, the load index is 54 for 110s and 58 for 120, but 54 is safe enough

So I agree & disagree  :yes:

FJmonkey

Noel, I checked the tire/wheel fit charts a few years ago when this issue came up. I see that you found one that fit a 120/17 to a 3" wheel. I could not find any other 120/17 chart for AVON that listed less than a 3.5" wide wheel for 120/17 (suitable for an FJ). So this is not a "Does Not Fit Properly thing".

I am not saying that it is not safe, I rode quite hard (for me) on the 120/16 AVONs on my '86 before I had 17" on the front. So it can be done and has been done. I also know another SOCal rider that can run away from me on a 110/17 front and 150 rear on an FJ.

How you ride ride your FJ is important to make this choice. Long straight roads? Slow/Fast cruse in the twisty mountains? Race it like you stole it?  Fecking wheel threads...

Just curious, Do you (would you) use the AVON AM26 front on a 3" wide wheel on your FJ?
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side