News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

87 sticker kits and color questions

Started by RobbieKNobbie, October 16, 2018, 10:31:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobbieKNobbie

Hi Guys!

Looks like I'm finally getting around to painting my Midnight Blue 89 in the '87 Stormy Red/Silky White, or something close to it. But, I have a question for owners of the 1987 red/white/red paint scheme: The areas around the front embedded turn signals, and the lip above the tail light... are they black or midnight blue? It's tough to see in any pictures (they all look black to me, as do the stickers, but I'm told the stickers are DEFINITELY blue) and it's been years since I've seen an FJ1200 in the flesh that wasn't the 89 or later colors.

Oh, and one more thing, I've found sticker kits for every color combination BUT the red/white/red ( 84 silver/red, 86 white/red/white, 89 midnight blue, 90 blue/silver etc). Has anyone seen or used a sticker kit for the '87 red/white/red?

Thanks guys!
'90 FJ1200, '00 GSF1200, '90 ZX-10, '94 Virago 750

pdxfj

The stripe around the faring, tank and side panels on the 87 is a very, very dark blue.  You could go black and no one would likely ever notice.

The lettering is a pearl white which is very difficult to find.  I've been looking for a while and found one website that offered a pearl white option but being a bonehead I didn't bookmark it and now I can't find it again.  The silky white on the 87 is a just a pearl white. 

The decals are the same for 86-87, just different colors.  If you find a site that offers an 86 set with a pearl white option, please let me know.  Need decals to finish the respray of my faring.

At one point, I posted scans of the actual paint mixture colors that you could print and take to a shop and have mixed up, but no idea where they went.  The formula was read directly off a good '87 fairing with a color scanning tool.  I can attest to the fact they were a perfect match when I did my chin faring.  I did the stripe in black and you can't tell...

If you use a good painter, you only need 4oz of each color.  Once it's thinned and reduced, there is more than enough paint for the entire bike.  IIRC it was nearly $150 for just the red and white.  Be sure to check with your painter first before buying paint.  There is no reason to to buy more paint than you need since it's quite expensive.

RobbieKNobbie

Thanks for the insight. The scans you got before, were they anything like the ones listed in reply #4 of this thread?  http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=13152.0

OK, the stripes are dark dark blue, but are the tail piece 'lip' and the mirror pods blue as well? If so, is that the same dark blue as the 89 'midnight blue'? Hmm, if that's the case then I might be able to mask those sections and leave the midnight blue that's already there... or do you think that would look cheesey? :blum2:

pdxfj

Let me see if I can dig up the .pdf scans of the actual print out from the paint shop for each individual color on the '87.  I remember posting them here a long time ago, but they appear to be lost in the interwebs.

The areas around the mirror bases, turn signals and tail "lip" are black.

Troyskie

I just went through this myself.

I went to a sign mob locally. The dark blue is also a metallic. 3M have a dark metallic blue. This is on the (ambulance colours) tank, main fairing, side covers, and lower cowl (chin).

We used the originals as patterns. The 3M dark metallic blue is a better choice than the one I went with, mine was not quite dark enough.

The ducktail, rear half of front guard, fairing inners & instrument surround are all black.

There is an ebay decal vendor in the UK, but they use black instead of dark metallic blue.

Here is one from the US, but I think there may be a better one https://rddecals.afegraphics.com/index.php?cat_id=19168&catname=FJ+Line

Troyskie
1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz

aviationfred

A bit off topic, but related to your painting project..... Please, Please paint your front fender Silky White. I think Yamaha got lazy and just threw on the red fender from the 86.

IMO, the white fender is how it should have come from the factory.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

RobbieKNobbie

Fred,
Yeah, I see what you mean about the white front fender. It definitely looks more, hmmm, finished(?) with the you have it. Thanks for the tip.

Troyskie,
The RD designs site only has complete sticker kits for the '86 white/red/white color scheme, for the 87's they just offer the bellypan stripe and YAMAHA script. That's who I was looking at before I set my heart on the 87 colors. I just sent them an email asking if they could do the 87 colors. Maybe I'll get lucky.

RobbieKNobbie

GREAT NEWS! I GOT LUCKY!!!!

NO not that, I'm married...

I've been 'talking' with Mark at RD Decals about adapting the 86 FJ sticker kit to the 87 color scheme, and he just got back to me today that they have gone ahead and made the 87 kit complete and are now offering it on their web site! So for anyone looking to refresh their stickers or repaint their 87 (as I am doing w my '89), look no further...

https://rddecals.afegraphics.com/view_product.php?adminshopping=&product=87fj1200-FullKit-R01743

Standard disclaimer, I've never bought anything from RDdecals before, nor do I have any association with them, except I hope to be a very happy customer in the near future!

Troyskie

1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz