News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Back of the Dragon - New York Times Article

Started by rlucas, October 16, 2018, 11:31:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlucas

Some of the attendees at the Fall Rally in Wytheville, VA (that's "WITH-vll" for the uninitiated) may recall that I mentioned talking to a NY Times photographer at the Back of the Dragon Welcome Center. Here's a link to the article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/05/business/virginia-coal-town-serpentine-roads-motorcycling.html

Jack, Henry, and the back of Carey's head can be seen in one of the shots. Apparently, I didn't make the cut... :empathy3:
We're not a club. Clubs have rules. Pay dues. Wear hats and shit.

"Y'all might be faster than me, but you didn't have more fun than I did." Eric McClellan (RIP '15)

Millietant

Quote from: rlucas on October 16, 2018, 11:31:21 AM
Some of the attendees at the Fall Rally in Wytheville, VA (that's "WITH-vll" for the uninitiated) may recall that I mentioned talking to a NY Times photographer at the Back of the Dragon Welcome Center. Here's a link to the article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/05/business/virginia-coal-town-serpentine-roads-motorcycling.html

Jack, Henry, and the back of Carey's head can be seen in one of the shots. Apparently, I didn't make the cut... :empathy3:

Nice story in the link and it looks like a nice place to visit/ride.

Hey, there are also a couple of FJ tee-shirts visible in the photo's and both a FJ sidepanel, with ABS logo and a FJR. You guys at least got the FJ recognised in there  :good2: - those in the know, will know !
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

rvnmaniac

I knew i would make the NY Times one day.... :yahoo: :yahoo:
"GO RAVENS"

FJ Flyer

Must have been the day I arrived and when I was napping at the campground.
Chris P.
'16 FJR1300ES
'87 FJ1200
'76 DT250

Wear your gear.

Motofun

Quote from: rvnmaniac on October 16, 2018, 08:51:42 PM
Just not the way we all expected!    :biggrin:
'69 Honda Trail 90
'75 Honda CB400F
'85 Yamaha RZ350
'85 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'09 Yamaha 125 Zuma
'09 Kawasaki KZ110 (grand kids)
'13 Suzuki GSXR 750 (track)
'14 Yamaha FZ-09
'18 Suzuki GSXR 1000R (track)
'23 Yamaha Tenere 7
SOLD: CBX,RZ500,Ninja 650,CB400F,V45 Sabre,CB700SC,R1

rlucas

Quote from: rvnmaniac on October 16, 2018, 08:51:42 PM

I don't think the NYT has a "Today's Mugshots" section, like the local papers around here do, so we did the best we could.

"Y'all might be faster than me, but you didn't have more fun than I did." Eric McClellan (RIP '15)

rlucas

Quote from: Millietant on October 16, 2018, 12:03:47 PM

Nice story in the link and it looks like a nice place to visit/ride.

Hey, there are also a couple of FJ tee-shirts visible in the photo's and both a FJ sidepanel, with ABS logo and a FJR. You guys at least got the FJ recognised in there  :good2: - those in the know, will know !

The picture makes it look like a really active place. In reality, our group (10 or so) and a couple of other riders were the only ones there. The "Welcome Center" is a semi-temporary building with a small porch area. An assortment of T-shirts and patches\stickers. tRoy, Sheila, and I came through on the way down from Huntington on Tuesday and we were the only ones there besides the proprietors.

The road is...amazing. Maybe my new favorite. I have always loved 421 between Mountain City and Shady Valley - this is better. 421 is a bit more technical (pavement surface, camber changes, etc.) but this has everything. Parts of it are extremely tight, parts are nice sweepers, the surface is clean and unbroken. Very little traffic.

I think we rode the Back of the Dragon 4 or 5 times during the Rally, it's that good.

And there's a Macado's in Marion, so that's a bonus.  :good:

Millietant

A nice place, to me, doesn't need to busy, just friendly and with the great roads (actually, the less. Busy, the better) I'm still looking forward to riding there in the near future.  :good2:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.