News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Napa Renegade Season Closer Invitational Rally

Started by andyoutandabout, October 21, 2018, 02:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

racerrad8

Quote from: andyoutandabout on October 25, 2018, 09:53:01 AM
Rick, you got me thinking about your racing on Sunday.
How likely is it that we could hang out in the pits with team ZOA NOM?
Andy

Andy, if you guys do go to the races Sunday, make sure you find the real race cars.  :bomb:

Those will be the FJ powered Legends and Thunder Roadsters. Once you find them, I'm sure you can get a photo of the FJ's and the rave cars with the FJ heart.

Now that will be a rally first.

Sorry I can't be there, but family must come first :dash2:

Enjoy the weekend, the weather looks perfect.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

racerrad8

Quote from: andyoutandabout on October 24, 2018, 11:34:03 AM
Renegade List:

Mike Ramos
Ron Oort
Craig Z
Mark O (if bike can be found)
Andyoutandabout

Window open for others to apply.......

Joe are you attending, this is right in your backyard.

Randy -RPM
Randy - RPM

Tuned forks

Sadly no Randy. It's a visit Dad weekend.  Not enough notice to change plans.  Sucks too cause I likely know the roads Andy will be using.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

ZOA NOM

Quote from: racerrad8 on October 27, 2018, 01:40:11 AM
Quote from: andyoutandabout on October 25, 2018, 09:53:01 AM
Rick, you got me thinking about your racing on Sunday.
How likely is it that we could hang out in the pits with team ZOA NOM?
Andy

Andy, if you guys do go to the races Sunday, make sure you find the real race cars.  :bomb:

Those will be the FJ powered Legends and Thunder Roadsters. Once you find them, I'm sure you can get a photo of the FJ's and the rave cars with the FJ heart.

Now that will be a rally first.

Sorry I can't be there, but family must come first :dash2:

Enjoy the weekend, the weather looks perfect.

Randy - RPM

Wow. You went there! At least you didn't say Miata! :bomb:

What a fantastic weekend! I was frustrated that I had to miss the Renegade up at Andy's place on Saturday, and thrilled to hear they were stopping by the track on Sunday. I got my track fix and FJ fix to boot. Race weekend was a struggle with tires and brakes that made it an uphill climb. Saturday's race ended early with a de-laminated rear tire that luckily didn't deflate. It just peeled a strip of cord off that made a hell of a racket slapping the inner fender. A competitor had a used set that he loaned me for Sunday, which worked out much better. Sunday's issue was the front end, with the tires being the same age as the rear that delaminated, although they wear more slowly than the rears on a 911, I had to fight for grip under braking, and spent time adjusting pressures and braking technique to prevent flat-spotting. All this created some of the worst lap times I've ever run at Sonoma, and put me in the back of the pack.

The good news is that I managed to get as much out of it as I could for Sunday's race and pick up a couple spots and defend for several laps to finish the weekend and the season on a high note. New tires and some off-season weight-reduction plans should yield a more competitive season beginning in March.

Thanks to Andy, Mike and Craig for coming out. It was great to see you, and I hope you had a good time. I wonder if the Legends guys even recognized the FJ in the paddock?
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

Pat Conlon

Miata! Bzzzzzz Bzzzzz Bzzzzzzz

How did your front brake ducts work out Rick? What track tires and sizes do you run?
Hoosiers R7?

Sonoma has to be one of the most beautiful road course tracks I've seen. It's on my bucket list to run.

Bzzzzzz Bzzzzzzz Bzzzzzz

1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

ZOA NOM

Quote from: Pat Conlon on October 29, 2018, 03:35:34 PM
Miata! Bzzzzzz Bzzzzz Bzzzzzzz

How did your front brake ducts work out Rick? What track tires and sizes do you run?
Hoosiers R7?

Sonoma has to be one of the most beautiful road course tracks I've seen. It's on my bucket list to run.

Bzzzzzz Bzzzzzzz Bzzzzzz

The ducting was perfect. No fading at all, and the hoses stayed in place. The Hoosiers really fall off the performance envelope after too many cycles. It was my first set since we move away from the Toyo RA-1's, and I didn't realize they should have been tossed a couple track days sooner. Live and learn. The tires we run for the Spec911 class are the 225/50 fronts and 245/45 rears. Hoosier R7's are sticky tires, but not worth the trouble in my view. I really loved the Toyo RA-1's, but they aren't making them in our sizes any more.

I've run at Sonoma, Laguna, T-Hill, Buttonwillow and Portland, and Sonoma is my favorite. It seems to me to be the most challenging, and rewarding. Unless there's Miatas around...  :bomb:
Rick

Current:
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

Pat Conlon

Very cool Rick :good2: (Get it? Brake ducts = cool....Sometimes I just crack myself up)
If you ever decide to run Chuckwalla, let me know, I have room for you at Casa de Conlon.
It's a short track @ 2.7 miles, prolly shorter than you're used to, but fun. (When the wind is calm)

Speaking of Miata's ^^^ Randy's son, Ryan, is a blooming lunatic....
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

racerrad8

Quote from: ZOA NOM on October 29, 2018, 10:13:01 PM
I thought so... It turns like a yacht.

It turns fine, just had trouble slowing it down.  :dash1: That's been fixed.

But, since that video it has been dyno tuned and we might have to upgrade again... :greeting:

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

ribbert

Quote from: RPM - Robert on October 29, 2018, 09:36:31 PM

....The wine and cheese Porsche guys.....

Here, the Porsche series is often referred to as the "Hairdressers Cup"  :biggrin:

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

ZOA NOM

Rick

Current:
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

FJ1100mjk

Quote from: ribbert on October 30, 2018, 05:55:53 AM
Quote from: RPM - Robert on October 29, 2018, 09:36:31 PM

....The wine and cheese Porsche guys.....

Here, the Porsche series is often referred to as the "Hairdressers Cup"  :biggrin:

Noel

Birds of a feather, flock...

Platinum Zircon-encrusted Gold Member

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

ZOA NOM

Rick

Current:
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

Tuned forks

Any of the participants in the Renegade Rally wish to regale us with stories of the ride?  Pictures?  Route taken?  Dirty jokes?

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher

Mike Ramos

Quote from: Tuned forks on October 31, 2018, 05:22:08 PM
Any of the participants in the Renegade Rally wish to regale us with stories of the ride?  Pictures?  Route taken?  Dirty jokes?

Joe

Good evening,

It was a great day of riding on Saturday - following Andyoutandabout is always a challenge.  Although claiming a long lay-off from riding Mr. Zari was on top of his game, easily motoring away at will!  Not to mention Roortcloud who enjoyed leaving me behind while riding with a complete set of saddle bags and assorted luggage!

On Sunday was a day at the races - as in car racing.  A variety of cars in there respective classes were sometimes combined and raced at the same time & that made for interesting mix of results & allowed the spectator an opportunity to discern the qualities of the different cars.  Seemed as if the FJ powered Legend and Thunderace cars were faster than the Miatas (at least those on the track at the same time) and held their own against the Porches, perhaps equaling lap times.

Not only was Mr. ZOA Nom voted the best looking Porche driver by the trackside ladies (!) it turns out he is as accomplished in car racing as he is in motorcycling.  Quite an achievement in all categories!

As far as a dirty joke: FJ1100mjk

Thanks again to Mr. French for the time & effort to organize another enjoyable Rally.

Ride safe!

Tuned forks

Thank you Mike.  If Andy is about I'd really enjoy reading about the route.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher