News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Valve lash

Started by Scottie1, November 02, 2018, 02:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scottie1

Quote from: RPM - Robert on November 03, 2018, 02:53:33 PM
Scottie, are you measuring in fractions or metric?

The manual is metric and must be converted to imperial if using fractional feeler gauges
Finally got the shims done after ordering 10 shims from RPM I find out I only needed one. Lesson learnt for sure. The adjustment took me 30 mins once I knew what I was done and reading the feelers gauge and book correctly.
1986 FJ1200
1982 XJ750 R Seca

Tuned forks

1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

balky1

Quote from: Scottie1 on November 04, 2018, 11:20:49 AM
Quote from: RPM - Robert on November 03, 2018, 02:53:33 PM
Scottie, are you measuring in fractions or metric?

The manual is metric and must be converted to imperial if using fractional feeler gauges
Finally got the shims done after ordering 10 shims from RPM I find out I only needed one. Lesson learnt for sure. The adjustment took me 30 mins once I knew what I was done and reading the feelers gauge and book correctly.

Just wandering if my first post was correct then?  :biggrin:

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

Bones

Anyone who thinks Imperial is just fine has never worked in metric. I started work exclusively with the former and finished almost entirely with the latter, so I have worked with both. If you can count to 10, you have the metric system nailed.

Metric is so much easier, but I remember in the mid 70's when it first came in Mum sent me to the shop to get a Pound of Tomatoes but they had recently upgraded the scales to metric, stood there like the village idiot in total confusion just staring at the scales wondering what to do, until finally someone asked if I needed help.
93 fj1200
79 suzuki gt250x7

Too young to be old but old enough to know better.

oldktmdude

Quote from: ribbert on November 04, 2018, 06:56:14 AM
Quote from: ryanschoebel on November 03, 2018, 08:41:24 PM
Quote from: oldktmdude on November 03, 2018, 04:27:52 PM
  Should you be doing your own clearances if you can't tell the difference between metric and imperial measurements?

C'mon man, no judgement here. No need to put someone down for learning, hes asking questions. I still don't know how to do valve clearances, so props to him for trying. No need to slam on someone just because they don't know something you do.

You're both right!

Ryan, I think you are reading Pete's comments as criticism, rather than concern. Yes, this is a place to learn, extend yourself and have a go but sometimes people's own words suggest they're taking on jobs too far beyond their current skills.
It is very easy to get swept up by the encouragement, enthusiasm, offers of help and the safety net of the forum but at the end of the day, it's still just you with a handful of tools, by yourself and little to no idea of what you're doing. It is prudent to show some caution with what you tackle.
There are plenty of examples here of owners turning simple tasks into a horror stories, sometimes with many chapters.

With the member's best interest in mind Pete has good reason to voice his concern about the poster's ability to carry out that task after the comments he made, there is plenty of opportunity for stuff ups, even on that job.

I know Pete, there is not a malicious bone in him (unless you forget to put the beer in the fridge), his posts are always positive and helpful and he is the salt of the earth when it comes to helping owners with their bikes in the flesh, expecting neither fanfare nor public praise. It was not a put-down as your response implies.

Can I say, after a lifetime of working with both imperial and metric systems, that trying to work with a mish mash of both on the one job, converting as you go, is a recipe for disaster. The specs are metric, the shims are metric, the manual is metric - spend a few bucks and buy a set of metric feelers and stop converting back to inches!

Noel
Thank you Noel for expressing my point in a much better way than I did. My intention was not to put you down Scottie, but to make the point that some people should not take on jobs that they are not suited to do. My congrats to you for getting the job done and no doubt it will be a lot easier next time.
   Regards, Pete.  :good2:
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure

chiz

Dont know about the rest of you     but I am soooo happy I know how many gills in a pint or how many poles in a peck or even sheets in a ream... Awesome stuff I learned as a kid for no mucking REASON...

krusty

Quote from: chiz on November 04, 2018, 03:35:27 PM
Dont know about the rest of you     but I am soooo happy I know how many gills in a pint or how many poles in a peck or even sheets in a ream... Awesome stuff I learned as a kid for no mucking REASON...
And a perch wasn't necessarily a fish.
And a faggot was a bunch of herbs (not Herbs) in cooking. Don't miss that one.
91 FJ1200
84 FJ1100 x 2
85 FJ1100
89 GL1500
76 CB750F1
72 CB350F
63 C92 x 2
59 C76
62 C100
63 C100
60 Colleda 250TA x 3
63 Suzuki MD50