News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

A blanket on the FJ

Started by aviationfred, November 13, 2018, 07:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firehawk068

Quote from: krusty on November 15, 2018, 06:23:08 PM
Will be renting a bike - choice of Africa Twin, Tenere or V-Strom. I'm leaning towards the Tenere ATM.

You probably can't go wrong with any of those three bikes.......................however, there is only one of those that has the "no chain maintenance required" shaft-drive. Which is also the only of the three that is available with Cruise-Control................Depending on your intended trip, you might wonder how you ever got by without it? 
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

Tuned forks

Quote from: ZOA NOM on November 15, 2018, 10:42:06 AM
I don't like a lot of fuss with wires and layers, so I use this Firstgear one piece over my work clothes. Works beautifully in the coldest weather we can muster here in the Bay Area. low 30's aren't uncommon.

Rick, a riding buddy has been talking up Aerostich for years.  Your suit is about 20% of an Aerostich.  You use that suit everyday during the winter?  It's holding up well?

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

ZOA NOM

I use it all winter. I did have a zipper on my lower left leg break, but it was due to my own negligence. The rest of the suit works perfectly, and seals up with velcro down both legs over the zippers. It rolls up about the size of a helmet and fits into my Givi trunk for the afternoon commute home. I just swap out my regular leather jacket.

Pros: easy on-off
       plenty warm and seals out all wind, even at the neck
       cheap
       not too bulky

Cons: no easy pocket access to your layers beneath (you have to unzip down the chest and nearly disrobe to get to your wallet pocket. Planning ahead solves this)
        no CE protective padding (mine is a large, and I can wear a light jacket with armor underneath if I choose)

Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

T Legg

I use my cross country ski gear which is basically the same thing,a zip up insulated waterproof pants, gloves that go over the sleeves and sinch down .but to keep the air from blowing through my helmet and down my neck i have a waterproof windbreaker with a hood that i wear under the helmet that makes a huge difference.I wear varying amounts of layers underneath the zip up pants and windbreaker and my normal armored leather jacket on top.that setup has been down to 12 degrees that i can attest to.We have dry weather not much rain.
T Legg

aviationfred

I had one of these riding suits. IMO, packed with features that the AeroStitch suits can't touch for a 3rd of the price. I later sold it because IMO a one piece is not convenient for everyday casual riding. All day riding and touring the Joe Rocket Survivor suit can't be beat.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Joe-Rocket-Survivor-Waterproof-Textile-Motorcycle-Suit/273552133740?var=&hash=item3fb0fa4e6c

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

aviationfred

I currently have a Joe Rocket Nano jacket for my colder weather riding. There were matching pants, but I have only been able to locate one pair that is for sale and they are a size medium. Won't work for my expanded mid section. IMO, this was the 2-piece version of the Survivor 1-piece suit.

These have not been manufactured for a few years. I really wish Joe Rocket would come out with another example of the 2-piece touring suit

Large and X-Large available. https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Joe-Rocket-Gray-Black-Dry-Tech-Nano-Jacket/182174821837?hash=item2a6a772dcd:m:mz_0PLhcZ0utkSg9PGMQftA:rk:1:pf:0

Pants https://www.ebay.com/itm/Joe-Rocket-Dry-Tech-Nano-Pants-Mens-Black-Grey-Medium-Med-Md-M-Motorcycle-Street/113233735423?epid=663518951&hash=item1a5d41aeff:g:990AAOSwy6lbjzAg:rk:2:pf:0

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

ribbert

Quote from: red on November 14, 2018, 03:56:35 PM
Quote from: Firehawk068 on November 14, 2018, 01:32:21 PMWhen You're cold, They're cold.................Bring them inside!
Umm . . .  how cute.

Most insurance companies will void the building's insurance (without saying, and with no refund) if there is a motorcycle in the house.  Even with the gas tank removed, same results.  Ask your insurance agents, and if they tell you otherwise, get it in writing.
Please don't shoot the messenger.   :sorry:  

Red, you raise an interesting point, one that I'm sure many of us have fallen victim to over our lifetimes, insurance companies screwing us in the fine print.

Not wishing to be a pedant but most modern houses have UMR (Under Main Roof) garages with internal access. From a structural point of view, the garage is effectively just another room but designated for vehicle parking. Unless building codes are different over there, garages are no different in terms of hazmat risks than any other room in the house and I've never heard of insurance companies making that distinction.

If you have some substantiated, industry based information to that effect it would be in the interest of forum members to be aware of it. It can be a very expensive excercise finding out you're not covered after the event.
Insurance companies are heartless bastards, loyal only to shareholders, not policy holders.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

red

Quote from: ribbert on November 16, 2018, 05:40:16 AM
Quote from: red on November 14, 2018, 03:56:35 PM
Quote from: Firehawk068 on November 14, 2018, 01:32:21 PMWhen You're cold, They're cold.................Bring them inside!
Umm . . .  how cute.
Most insurance companies will void the building's insurance (without saying, and with no refund) if there is a motorcycle in the house.  Even with the gas tank removed, same results.  Ask your insurance agents, and if they tell you otherwise, get it in writing.
Please don't shoot the messenger.   :sorry:  
Red, you raise an interesting point, one that I'm sure many of us have fallen victim to over our lifetimes, insurance companies screwing us in the fine print.
Not wishing to be a pedant but most modern houses have UMR (Under Main Roof) garages with internal access. From a structural point of view, the garage is effectively just another room but designated for vehicle parking. Unless building codes are different over there, garages are no different in terms of hazmat risks than any other room in the house and I've never heard of insurance companies making that distinction.
If you have some substantiated, industry based information to that effect it would be in the interest of forum members to be aware of it. It can be a very expensive excercise finding out you're not covered after the event.  Insurance companies are heartless bastards, loyal only to shareholders, not policy holders.
Noel
Noel

In the USA, an "attached garage" must be separated internally from the main structure by a firewall of non-combustible materials.  This firewall must be constructed of heavy-grade (maybe fire-retardant) drywall, or masonry (brickwork), or other code-approved materials.  Building codes here require that the firewall (and any doors in that wall) will delay the progress of a structural fire by some length of time, based upon the expected response time of the local firefighters.  Even then, you will still pay more for fire insurance than you would if you have a separate garage. 

Your insurance company should have lower rates (than average) for a building that is located closer to the firehouse, or on improved (faster) roadways, but you must ask the insurance company directly for those lower rates.  You may need to provide a street map, to back up your request for any special rates.  The worst they can say is No.

I have no good way to provide accurate "substantiated" industry information that applies across the globe.  If anybody doubts my basic statement here and just refuses to contact their own insurance provider on this important issue, I want to wish them the best of luck, and g'day.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.