News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Fuel pump

Started by Cameron123, November 21, 2018, 01:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cameron123

I own an '89 FJ1200 that's attached to a Comanche Sidebike sidecar that I enjoy using this time of year in order to deliver Santa and his gifts.  Recently, it has not wanted to start.  I soon recognized that when I turn the ignition on, that I don't hear the fuel pump that normally runs for a few seconds - I assume until adequate pressure is obtained.  I verified that power is getting to the pump when the ignition is turned on.  I ordered a used replacement and am concerned that it doesn't work.  I plugged it into the bike (but did not mount it) and it did nothing when the I turned the ignition on.  Does it require me to hook up the actual fuel line before it will even run?  Is there another way to verify the used replacement fuel pump actually works?
Cameron Smith
Philadelphia suburbs

'18 BMW R1200RT
'89 Yamaha FJ1200W with SideBike Comanche sidecar

FJmonkey

The pump should run with or without a fuel line connected. Make sure the Run/Stop switch is in the Run position and functioning.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

TomJK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABd-Leis9xw

This helps prolong the life of the fuelpump!
Done this 12000 miles ago, running fine!

Cheers, Tom.
Past bikes : BMWR90-S,BMW R100CS, Ducati 900SD, Kawasaki GPZ600,Yamaha FJ1200,Kawasaki ZZR 1100 (4x),Kawasaki ZZR1200, Honda CBR1100XXX,Yamaha Thunderace, Kawasaki ZX10R (3X),
Aprillia Falco,Honda CBR600F4I, bikes today : Kawasaki ZX10R (C1, the best!),Yamaha FJ1200, soon to come Kawasaki Z900.....