News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Replacement mirrors

Started by Scottie1, December 02, 2018, 05:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scottie1

I'm looking for bolt on replacement mirrors for an 1986 FJ1200. I tried the CBR 600 mirrors but they didn't fit any information on what fits would be greatly appreciated.
1986 FJ1200
1982 XJ750 R Seca

FJmonkey

The aftermarket options require a little modification to work. I chose to use the original base to keep the rubber boot and keep some of my sins covered. This requires the base to be modified to take the Honda mirror. And some heat to soften the thread lock and remove the base I did not want. Then I needed a shim spacer to angle them into a useful position.

Or just slot the Honda base and enjoy the view...

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=9605.msg91343#msg91343
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Ribz0

Have you had a dig around for OEM mirrors? Or are you changing to get away from them?

I just had a little look but seems you can still get them out there... Not sure what your model is or which side.. but here is an eBay link to one....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1TX-26280-00-Yamaha-Mirror-Assemblyassy-Left-New-Genuine-OEM-Part-/332687027898?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c1

I have been searching for parts for mine... and although things are still available, its all getting a bit pricey...

Cheers
Bite off more than you can chew... then chew like hell!!

Urban_Legend

Hey Ribz0

Yes, OEM mirrors are still around and that is what a lot of people prefer, especially those wanting to keep their bikes all original. But as you said they are not cheap.If you are not a pureist then the CBR mirros mentioned above are cheaper, readily available and will give you a view of the world behind you past your elbows.

It is always nice to have options.

PS. Greetings from the East Coast. Grafton NSW

Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

Ribz0

No worries mate... lol... yeah... i get what yr saying about seeing more behind you...

Cheers..
Bite off more than you can chew... then chew like hell!!

Scottie1

Quote from: Ribz0 on December 02, 2018, 07:05:25 PM
Have you had a dig around for OEM mirrors? Or are you changing to get away from them?

I just had a little look but seems you can still get them out there... Not sure what your model is or which side.. but here is an eBay link to one....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1TX-26280-00-Yamaha-Mirror-Assemblyassy-Left-New-Genuine-OEM-Part-/332687027898?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c1

I have been searching for parts for mine... and although things are still available, its all getting a bit pricey...

Cheers
I didnt really want to pay the prices for new ones i find them expensive.
1986 FJ1200
1982 XJ750 R Seca

aviationfred

As FJmonkey stated, the most common mirror alternatives need to be slightly modified. The most common mirrors are the CBR250/600/1000 and late model Bandit 1200/1250 mirrors. Both the Honda and Suzuki mirror base's require modifying the holes. Here is an example of a modified CBR mount base.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

Bud Wilkinson

I found a cheap $15.00 set of CBR compatible mirrors to try. My stockers had something large loose and rattling behind the right glass so I thought I'd try them.
The mirrors just don't find a good angle using the FJ mount or modifying the CBR style mount. I have a 3D printer and came up with these. The handed version on the left is what I settled on for the right side. This tips them back an additional 5 degrees and out 10 degrees. As you can see the stock boots fit and look pretty good.
RZ 350 - Sold.
Honda CB600 Hurricane - Sold.
85 FJ1100 - Sold - Sadley Deceased.
Honda Silverwing - Sold Real Fast
02 Harley V-Rod - Sold-COVID 19.
87 FJ1200 - Riding - YZF600R Wheel and suspension done.

Bud

FJmonkey

Caution: 3D printing is great for testing and toys. My professional experience with printed parts has taught me to not trust the printed bond. You might lose a mirror when the bond lets loose. I have had to redesign a shaft for a potentiometer because it keeps breaking from the torque. Pots don't have much torque, but the repetitive motion seems to split the printed bond. Just a word of caution...

Bud Wilkinson

FJmonkey,
I too have seen layer adhesion problems with 3D printing. I did use a carbon infused filament for the final part and have it pretty well dialed in. I am going to add a safety wire tether too the mirror stalk and fairing anchor bolt for the safety of it.
RZ 350 - Sold.

Bud

FJmonkey

Quote from: Bud Wilkinson on July 28, 2019, 04:25:02 PM
FJmonkey,
I too have seen layer adhesion problems with 3D printing. I did use a carbon infused filament for the final part and have it pretty well dialed in. I am going to add a safety wire tether too the mirror stalk and fairing anchor bolt for the safety of it.

Awesome, what filament are you using that has the carbon? 1.75 MM I assume?  My experience is mostly with ABS.

Bud Wilkinson

I forget the brand and am away from it right now. It was highly recomended on Amazon. A PLA blended with carbon fibers. It took a few prints to dial it in from my straight PLA experience.
RZ 350 - Sold.

Bud

Bud Wilkinson

Thid is the Amazon Choice filament I used. It's $25.00 for 1kg spool. For whatever reason I find PLA to be less troublesome than ABS or PETG. This seems to print well at the higher recomended temperature.
"SunTop 3D Carbon Fiber PLA Filament 1.75mm, Rohs Compliance, 1 kg (2.2lbs) Spool, Dimensional Accuracy +/- 0.03 mm,Black"
RZ 350 - Sold.

Bud

Pat Conlon

..... I am going to add a safety wire tether too the mirror stalk and fairing anchor bolt for the safety of it.

That will sure make it safer for the folks riding behind you, however that dangling mirror will now be slapping up against your fairing, beating the shit out of your paint.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Bud Wilkinson

Quote from: Pat Conlon on July 29, 2019, 03:45:26 PM
..... I am going to add a safety wire tether too the mirror stalk and fairing anchor bolt for the safety of it.

That will sure make it safer for the folks riding behind you, however that dangling mirror will now be slapping up against your fairing, beating the shit out of your paint.

Point taken. It'll be time to stop if either one breaks, although I don't think they will.
RZ 350 - Sold.

Bud