News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Replacement Windscreen/Spoiler

Started by Ribz0, December 03, 2018, 08:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ribz0

Thanks Fred...

Both sides it is.... or ill try anyway...

Cheers for that link... They all sound sound great till I convert to AUS $$, then add postage... and then you scream!!

Bite off more than you can chew... then chew like hell!!

Ribz0

Thanks Tuned Forks...

Good to hear that others have done it with success... I have some gear and have done cars before so will adapt that method... yes.. power stuff makes life a little easier...

Did you remove your screen from the cowling or do it fitted to the bike?

Cheers

Eric

ribbert

Quote from: aviationfred on December 04, 2018, 08:35:10 PM
In my experience, most windscreen are made from Acrylic or ABS plastic. My finned windscreen is different and reminds me of the characteristics of Lexan. Very hard and not very flexible. Mine was very milky and had a bit of crazing. I attempted a polish job on it using an automotive headlight polishing kit.this is the kit I used, I am sure similar kits can be found in Australia.
https://m.harborfreight.com/deluxe-lens-renewal-system-62663.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot provided

I don't have a good photo of the before, but here is an after.... it came out pretty good... not as good as Noel's though.

Fred

Fred, I believe your screen is polycarbonate, you could probably drive a car over that without damaging it (err, kidding, don't try it), I do know you can get it caught in the buff and fling it across the garage at warp speed with no more damage than a few more scratches to polish out.

I was under the impression most of them were polycarbonate?

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

ribbert

Quote from: Ribz0 on December 04, 2018, 08:22:55 PM

... I think mine is too far gone but hey...

Eric

No such thing, I have polished out scratches you could trip over. Those original screens are very thick, and as Fred has observed, very hard. The screen in the picture had bitumen rash!

I think someone posted a link to a previous post on this so I won't repeat it.

Feel free to PM me if you want any specific details.

Noel

"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Bones

Mine was to the stage where you couldn't see through it and I just couldn't be bothered spending hours trying to polish it, so gave it a quick rub down with some fine wet and dry sandpaper to remove any nicks and foreign matter and painted it black. Turned out ok, as to the legalities of it not sure, but I don't look through it when riding anyway, I look over the top of it.
93 fj1200
79 suzuki gt250x7

Too young to be old but old enough to know better.

Troyskie

Noel, most screens pre 83 were polycarb for the 'safety' factor when OEM. Don't ask me why it is 'safer'. I have no idea. It is just a bit of ADR info I picked up when getting an engineer to sign off on the mods to the 12.

Most after market screens are acrylic.

RibzO, Eagle Screens are in Perth and do a great job. No issues with AUD or freight for you mate.
1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz

Old Rider

Back in early 90th i painted the sceen on my 1100 black here is how it looks.

Ribz0

Ribz0

Cheers Troyskie...

I did get a reply from Eagle Screens, who are here in WA... YAY!!!  :biggrin: and a reply from Powerbronze who have a distributor in Victoria.. They were both very helpful and very affordable... both quoted for a flip touring tinted at $145... happy with that...

Ill have a go at polishing mine first... but now I have options...  :good2:

Im not to keen to paint mine black... although you look over it, i think it would make for a big blind spot..

Cheers

Ribz0

Hi all..
Well I ended up getting myself another screen. A big shout out to Clive from Powerbronze Australia in Victoria who sorted me out with a Touring Flip Screen at a great price!!

Here is a profile of the two.

and the original layed over the Powerbronze.

Very happy with it... Cheers...  :good2:

Millietant

That Powerbronze screen looks remarkably similar to the stock "touring screen' that my '89 3CV came with. If it's as good as that one, you'll be well pleased (although I'm only 5'8" tall, so my experience won't count for sh1t if you're much taller  :biggrin:).
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

Ribz0

Hi ya Dean..
I do luv it!! a much better ride... im about the same height so all is good...
Cheers