News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Replacement Muffler

Started by Ribz0, December 04, 2018, 08:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ribz0

Hi all..

My bike has a Magnum silencer/muffler on from when I got it... Its seen better days with the rivets falling out and some battle scares... I had a look and they dont seem to be around anymore...

Would another brand slip onto my system there or is it all matched? Also, do carbs need to be re-tuned if im changing mufflers?

Cheers
Bite off more than you can chew... then chew like hell!!

FJmonkey

Measure the pipe diameter where it slips on. This will help you pick a can that will simply slip on. Almost any can rated for our liter size engines will work. As long as they don't have a mounting tab welded in the wrong place. The RPM exhaust looks similar in size and configuration and uses a clamp for a mount tab. And unless you are going back to restricted can(s) like stock then you most likely do not need to rejet. Assuming is was jetted properly for that pipe. Does it still have an air box? That is the other restriction in the system.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Ribz0

Thank you FJMonkey...

The guy i got it from reckons the carbies were done... he had it for 17 years but i can be certain... I wouldnt know how to tell or what to look for... but it goes well...  :biggrin:

I will have a look at RPM...  but will need have a measure when i get home next week...

yes.. it has the standard box and filter... so what is recommended to make these thing breathe better?

Cheers

Ribz0

Oh... and sorry for the double take on the pic... damn trigger finger...

So how do I remove a pic? I cant seem to locate the "edit" button...

Tuned forks

On the inlet side, this product is well received on this forum.  I installed a set on the FJ this Fall.  RPM's exhaust is going on this winter.

http://rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Carb%3ARPMPod

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

FJmonkey

I fixed the second image issue. You have about 30 min to edit your post, after that a moderator needs to mod.  The important part that you mention is, it goes well. A very good sign. If the airbox is still in use then I would not worry too much when you swap out the new can.  Most aftermarket cans are free flowing. So changing from one to another should have little effect. Regarding breathe better. The FJ breaths quite well with plenty of grunt to prove it. If you want more, then swapping the air box for Pods and a proper rejet will get you more grunt when the throttle is wide open. As much as I enjoy the moments of WOT, I really can't spend much time there. If I did I would develop calluses from handcuffs.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Ribz0

Ok thanks Joe... I was wondering about pod filters... so thanks for the info!!

Yes... I have been drooling over the SS system at RPM.... please keep us posted on that!!

Cheers

Eric

Ribz0

Thank you for that FKMonkey... ill remember that... 30 mins...  :good2:

Yep... I can relate to yr WOT view... and as much as there isnt anything better in this world than the total absorption of all yr senses pinging at 300k/h..... our time as free men would be very limited...  :biggrin:

As for how the bike goes... im more than fine with it... Good to know about pods and re-jetting... thanks very much!

Eric

Tuned forks

Eric, this is what the box of RPM joy looks like.
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

Ribz0

Oh really!! dont show me that... Ill only want to buy one!!! You big tease!!!

Gah.... so much joy.....

Im sure it would look so much better on the bike... not still in the box!!!

Urban_Legend

And then when you unwrap the box of joy and install it all this is how it looks. Unfortunately for you our $ sucks against the US$. I got mine when we were 1 to 1. About $1200 landed at my door. Add about 30% now.
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

Troyskie

Wot Mark said.

I've recently bought a ColorTune plug to go with the CabTune balancers.

Mate, total of about $160 Aussie delivered for both. You will have no fear of tuning your carbies again & as I've just learnt, every change in the system ultimately requires the carbies being adjusted for a smooth ride.

The absolute total benefit of these two items is a knuckle head like me can get the carbies tuned in less than time than it takes for my beer to get warm (unless they're f@!#ed and you need to clean them :ireful:).
1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz

Ribz0

Gee... thanks Mark!! rub that salt in... its ok.... But WOW!! looks so good!! The $$$ does hurt no matter how you break it down...

Australia is such a nanny, fun police country.... gah... makes you wanna pack up and leave sometimes!!!

Ribz0

hi ya Troyski... yes... that will be my next purchase... i like to do as much as i can myself... i luv SU's which i have on a couple of cars, so i think i could have a go at the carbies...

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4-Column-Carbtune-Pro-Carburettor-Balancer-Carb-Vacuum-Gauges-with-toolpouch-/290724003198

Is this the sort of gear you mean?

Cheers

Millietant

Quote from: Ribz0 on December 06, 2018, 05:15:24 AM
Gee... thanks Mark!! rub that salt in... its ok.... But WOW!! looks so good!! The $$$ does hurt no matter how you break it down...

Australia is such a nanny, fun police country.... gah... makes you wanna pack up and leave sometimes!!!

Well don't come here then !!!!!!!  Speed camera's (especially "average speed camera's") on every motorway, speed camera's on all the best biking routes, our police not allowed to engage in vehicular chases of criminals, young drivers can't afford car insurance without "insurer approved"  fitted vehicle telematics and video recording systems....nanny state on steroids for everything else (FFS they want to put trackers in registration plates)!!!

Aus still seems to be a place where you still have plenty of freedom right now.
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.