News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

My 50th anniversary this year

Started by TexasDave, December 19, 2018, 10:05:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Motofun

Been at it since 1963, if you count riding home made mini bikes made out of threaded pipe and pipe fittings.  We scarfed every vertical Briggs and Stratton engine (from the old power reel mowers) within a 10 mile radius.  My friends dad had a Gulf service station with pipe threading tools and an ancient welder...We made some really poor machines and one that hauled ass...Nothing like having the frame break when at speed.
'69 Honda Trail 90
'75 Honda CB400F
'85 Yamaha RZ350
'85 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'09 Yamaha 125 Zuma
'09 Kawasaki KZ110 (grand kids)
'13 Suzuki GSXR 750 (track)
'14 Yamaha FZ-09
'18 Suzuki GSXR 1000R (track)
'23 Yamaha Tenere 7
SOLD: CBX,RZ500,Ninja 650,CB400F,V45 Sabre,CB700SC,R1

fjbiker84

Amazing how similar our two wheel backgrounds are despite where you grew up.  I, too, started riding in the mid 60s on a Briggs & Stratton powered scooter similar to the one Pat showed... best I can figure that was 1966.  Then went to an Italian made two stroke Harley Davidson 65cc motorcycle. And from there the usual assortment of larger and more powerful Japanese bikes.  So I guess I past the 50th anniversary a few years ago and forgot to celebrate.  I'll be sure to do that this weekend! 

T Legg

My dad rode a BSA 441 victor.He weighed about 240 lbs.He sold it to a friend who was about 5' 8" and 160 lbs.His friend ended up selling it because he couldn't get it started.
T Legg

big r

Started riding in the mid sixties. My grandfather had Suzuki 80 that he gave to my brother and I. I believe it was a rotary valve . We rode the hell out of that until it finally gave up and then graduated to a Honda Sport 90. My dad hated that we were riding bikes, he was a dispatch rider in England for a time before D Day and said he hit the only rock wall in England that was over 3 ft. high. That put him in a body cast. After the 90 I had a Kawasaki A7 Avenger, that went like stink until it ran lean and melted a piston. Yamaha DT 1 was next then a 920 Virago, then a GS 1100 Suzuki, then the FJ which I sold a year ago because of my knees. Selling the FJ has been haunting me ever since. Both knees are done and haven't felt this in over 10 yrs. Now looking for another bike. Will be 65 in April and was about 10 when I started. That being said I hope everyone here has a Merry Christmas and a Really great 2019

Millietant

If i count the very first time i was taken on a bike, I'm at about 54 years now, but as a rider, only around 45, so I really feel a bit of a youngster now  :yahoo:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

TexasDave

I am really enjoying all the stories contributed to this thread by members here. It is fun to find out how many riders got an early start in motorcycle riding the same way I did. Also how many older fellows still enjoy FJ's like I do.

I want to wish everyone a Merry Xmas and Happy New Year.

Ride safe
Dave
A pistol is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again.

Millietant

Just realised I've been in continuous ownership of an FJ for 32 years ! - 29 years with my current one.

I didnt really get into dirt bikes until after going to the IOM TT in about '82 and watching "On Any Sunday" on a big screen - before that it was a series of 2 strokes, from FS1E upwards until graduating onto 4 stroke I 4's with my CB650.
Dean

TexasDave

Quote from: Millietant on December 21, 2018, 10:28:06 AM
Just realised I've been in continuous ownership of an FJ for 32 years ! - 29 years with my current one.

I didnt really get into dirt bikes until after going to the IOM TT in about '82 and watching "On Any Sunday" on a big screen - before that it was a series of 2 strokes, from FS1E upwards until graduating onto 4 stroke I 4's with my CB650.
I still own a 82 Nighthawk 650SC. Great little bike to ride around town. Last year of the SOHC 650.

Dave
A pistol is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again.

Millietant

Mine had the same SOHC engine and was indeed a surprisingly good bike. It was a 21st birthday present from my dad (I was at University at the time but worked in my spare time for him, in the family business, unpaid) and I rode it for 5 years and 55,000 (mechanically) uneventfully years. When I got my next bike, I loaned the 650 to my best mate, who couldn't afford a bike, but had passed his test, on the proviso that he gave it back in the same (or better) condition as I gave it to him.

He did so and when he gave it back (to get a FJ1200), I passed it down to my brother who'd just passed his test.
Dean

Millietant

LOL - I rode the CB for 55,000 uneventful miles (not years)  :Facepalm:
Dean

Pat Conlon

Upon leaving the Army (MOS 91B20) and returning stateside, immediately buying a $500 used motorcycle, what a pleasant surprise I had when I discovered the joys of my first I-4..... The Honda CB500. What a wonderfully smooth engine that ran like a watch.
No more street twins for me....

1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

FJ_Hooligan

Count me as almost member of the club.  In early '70, my father brought home a slightly used CB 350.  It was a little too big for me at the time (I dropped it in the middle of the street attempting a U-turn on my first ride) so my big brother claimed it.

About 6 months later Dad came home with a 1968 Yamaha YL2C.  A rotary valve, 100cc enduro with electric start.  I rode it until 1972 when I bought a brand new Hodaka 100cc B+ enduro with chrome gas tank and fire-engine red frame.  I loved that bike and quickly installed a Super Rat top end and Bassini expansion chamber.  I could out run anyone on that bike, until the Elsinore 125 came out, those things were FAST. 

From the Hodaka, I bought a used '71 Yamaha DT-1 250 2-stroke, the year before reed valve induction, that had been in a fire.  I rebuilt the DT and it was a blast to do long power slides on.  Next dirt bike was a '74 Yamaha MX 360 in the original bumble bee colors.  That bike was an absolute rocket.  That was my last dirt bike as all the local riding areas were getting paved over (and they called that progress).  At that point I resigned myself to street riding.  I talked my brother into selling the CB and we pooled money for a '78 Yamaha XS 750 shaft-drive triple.  By now it's clear that I was a loyal Yamaha owner, they were never in the shop.  Any repair was easily accomplished at home.

The 750 was another great ride but by '82 I was looking for more power.  Gave the 750 to my brother and bought an XJ1100JR, the last of the XS motor.  Never really meshed with that bike.  It had the pseudo-cruiser styling (Yamaha called it Special styling) with high bars and a stepped seat.  With no wind protection, it caused pain in my back when riding on the highway as I was forced to sit bolt upright with a death grip on the bars to keep from getting blown off.

Then, along came 1984 and the Yamaha FJ 1100.  I was smitten and wanted one BAD but I had just started my job and bought a new house so money was too tight.  But in 1985 (the BEST year) I made it happen!  I was tempted to upgrade to the FJ1200 in '86 but managed to resist the new bike bug.  Around '88, I test rode a Honda Hurricane and was impressed enough in the water cooling and 6-speed smoothness that I briefly considered trading the FJ for one.  I came to my senses and kept the FJ (WHEW!). When it finally became time to add another bike to the stable, I drove all the way from Dallas to Chicago to pick up a 1993 FJ ABS with 6K on it.   Awesome bike!  Just ask Joe Berk...

Looked at many other bikes through the years.  Seriously considered the Honda SuperHawk and Blackbird, but both were overpriced and on the verge of being discontinued.  Really liked the new VFR1200, but again Honda had overpriced it.  In '05 I bought a friends '02 FZ-1.  Another great bike, very FJ-like in ergos but better (stock) suspension and really impressive motor.  The FJ has more torque, but the FZ has a really nice top end hit (but I find that I use the FJ torque far more than the FZ top end).

After 30 years, I finally found another bike that was worth purchasing "brand new."  The 2016 BMW S1000XR is an absolute hoot to ride.  It does everything incredibly well and always puts a smile on my face.  However, as fun as it is, it will NEVER replace the FJ.  The FJ is still an amazing ride and I will keep it forever.

After buying the BMW, I sold the '93 FJ to Joe then added an '03 Bumble Bee FZ-1 for my son and even bought Jeff Hoffman's '05 FZ-1 in Atlanta so I can Fly N Ride when I get the chance.

Temperature has been in the 60s the last few days.  Managed to get a few rides on the FZ and the FJ.  The FJ is like a well broken-in pair of boots, it just feels right.
DavidR.

ZOA NOM

Jesus, you fuckers are old! Pat, I'll bring your walker to the next rally.
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

krusty

I became a septuagenarian yeaterday and went windsurfing to celebrate. I almost have fifty years up. I didn't start riding bikes until I was 21 and needed cheap transport to night school after my discharge from nasho (2 years National Service - drafted to you northerners).
91 FJ1200
84 FJ1100 x 2
85 FJ1100
89 GL1500
76 CB750F1
72 CB350F
63 C92 x 2
59 C76
62 C100
63 C100
60 Colleda 250TA x 3
63 Suzuki MD50
77 DT125E
77 DT175E x 2
79 DT250F

Troyskie

This is great stuff.

I'm not even close to 50 years of riding.

I took a break from owning a bike when I stacked my FJ in 1994. Although I occasionally rode other peoples bikes I pretty much didn't ride from 94 through to 15, so that will remove 21 years from my riding time.

Mind you.....they all run and do what FJ's do....
1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz