News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

To make front fork stiffer

Started by jyrki, December 19, 2018, 12:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Legg

I still love to ride my 71 cb750.It is still a very capable bike and i love giving modern bikes a run for their money with a completely stock looking vintage bike but no matter what i do to it it wont be competitive with a modern bike.I take pride in how well an old bike rides.when I'm riding my fj 1100 it is more than competitive enough for me to keep up with modern bikes and with my full fairing and black paint scheme i take pride in the shock most riders show when i tell them the fj is 34 (almost thirty five ) years old.I was a member of the antique motorcycles club but the main emphasis was in having the bike as close as possible to the day it came off the assembly line and i find that to be incredibly boring. 
T Legg

Mike Ramos

Quote from: Millietant on December 22, 2018, 08:40:01 PM
An interesting conundrum Midget, but in my mind you're actually missing the point of the "uniqueness and appeal" of the FJ.

As a long term FJ owner, the appeal of the FJ is that at over 30 years old, with a small number of cost-effective modifications, it can perform in a way that can match what's available on the market new today (within the confines of average owner/rider ability) and is a totally relevant vehicle (and mode of transport) on today's roads.

I believe the uniqueness of the FJ is the way it handles its duties in such an unruffled and matter of fact way, across a whole spectrum of situations, primarily due to its simple but hugely effective engine and capable chassis.

All of the mods we do seem to be about enhancing its inherent strengths - rather than eliminating weaknesses - that's the magic of the FJ today - a stock one is still an awesome road bike today, but a modified one can be Mega !!

Good evening,

Having experienced over 275,000 miles with the FJ, I concur completely with your comments.

My FJ has every modification possible: modern pre-balanced rims & tires, radial master brake cylinder matched to silver dots with the very best discs available; R.P.M exhaust system, suspension front & rear and fork brace.  Strengthened swing arm, engine tuned professionally (including timing & jetting). 

In addition, an XJR alternator is utilized & LED lighting front & rear is improved as to be on par with any other newer motorcycle.  Voltmeter, oil temperature & oil pressure gauges have been added.

As mentioned in my previous posts over the years, the FJ as configured with the aforementioned modifications all improve the inherent qualities of the FJ making it among the best all-around motorcycles available.  There is no doubt the character & "uniqueness and appeal" remain intact. 

My original thought (perhaps it should have been posed as a question) pertained solely to the installation of USD's and if the FJ loses some of its' unique character. -  "It seems as if once a modification is accomplished that is not actually needed for "top shelf" STREET BASED performance, the uniqueness & appeal of the old FJ is perhaps compromised".

And yes, it is interesting to observe the reactions of other riders (and the occasional automobile) when it is discovered a 30 year old motorcycle is quite competitive!

Ride safe...!

ribbert

Quote from: Tuned forks on December 22, 2018, 08:38:49 PM

Mike, I've wondered that too.....when is it no longer a FJ? 

Joe

I reckon you can call it an FJ as long as it has the motor and frame.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

ribbert

....in the hot rod world you can replace the entire drivetrain, brakes, suspension, change the bodywork, interior, etc and it's still called a '32 Ford....

Joe

Like the bloke that's had the same axe for 50 years and only replaced 3 heads and 5 handles in all that time.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

chiz

Just my two pennies pretty sure I will never install any inverted forks... Don't like how they look especially on an older bike no mater how well well they improve handling.

Lez

ZOA NOM

Quote from: ribbert on December 23, 2018, 07:19:44 AM

Joe

Noel

Horse shit. If it doesn't have that fairing, those lines, that seating position, it's not an FJ.
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

Pat Conlon

OEM purists vs Modifiers, that debate is still alive and well. It's been around for a long time.
It can be divisive, we vs they, which seems common in today's world.

Out on a ride up to Palomar yesterday I stopped at the Hideaway Cafe (by Lake Henshaw) a local biker meeting point, and I overheard a comment from 3 guys in the parking area who were standing around looking at my '84, "Nice bike, but that's not an FJ anymore...."

...maybe so, but I noticed that nobody was standing around looking at their bikes.

Everyone knows that the USD fork swaps are reversible, right?
If you don't like them, go back to those spindley oem 41mm fork tubes. I know of NO ONE who has ever removed the USD's from their FJ to go back to oem. NO ONE.

Try them, you might like them, if not, at least you will know what the fuck you are talking about.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance—that principle is: Contempt prior to investigation."

....besides, even Mike knows.... the USD's gets the chicks.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Grey runner

You don't have to go the USD route to upgrade, these are Thunderace forks if it wasn't for the different front fender you wouldn't spot the "mod"

The older I get, the faster I was

Millietant

Lovely looking bike Mr Runner  :good2: - agree on the Thunderace front end, still looks standard...ish.

Personally, I just prefer the look of my USD's, I think they really suit my 3CV, but your set up looks beautiful as well.

A modified FJ, but still very much, and clearly, a FJ in heart and soul.
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

Pat Conlon

Beautiful FJ Chris!  :good:

Yes indeed...for conventional forks, the 48mm stanchion tube T-Ace cartridge forks would be my first choice.

Never a need for a fork brace with those beefy tosdada fork tubes.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Bill_Rockoff

Quote from: Pat Conlon on December 23, 2018, 12:47:14 PMI overheard a comment from 3 guys in the parking area who were standing around looking at my '84, "Nice bike, but that's not an FJ anymore...."
FJs would have come from the factory just like yours, if they had discovered "Braking" and "Suspension" back in '84 the way they had already discovered "Power."

"Nice air conditioning indoor plumbing, but that's not a Victorian mansion anymore...." Well, it would be, if they had known then all the things we know now.
Reg Pridmore yelled at me once

ribbert

Quote from: ZOA NOM on December 23, 2018, 12:07:54 PM
Quote from: ribbert on December 23, 2018, 07:19:44 AM

Joe

Noel

Horse shit.

Happy Christmas Rick.

Noel

ZOA NOM

Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600