News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

A bit of a mishap

Started by aviationfred, December 24, 2018, 05:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aviationfred

I short ride to meet some old friends today for lunch ended in a potential disaster. As I got off the bike at the restaurant, smoke started pouring out from under the tank. I quickly removed the seat to investigate. Before I could get my helmet off, flames appeared. Luckily I parked directly at the front door. I ran inside and told the hosted I needed a fire extinguisher from the kitchen. As I turned around there next to the door was my FJ's savior. A fire extinguisher hanging on a hook. I snatched it up, pulled the pin and ran outside as flames were coming out everywhere around the fuel tank. A few quick blasts from the extinguisher and the flames were out.  :cray: :dash2: :cray:

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

T Legg

Lucky you got it out so quickly looks like a very close call.the carbs look a little toasty and the filters are history are you able to get it running for the rest of the trip?
T Legg

Pat Conlon

Well shit....glad you're ok Fred. Ask Rick, it sure could have been worse.
We know the petcock elbow was not at fault. Perhaps fuel free flowing from a stuck float?
It looks like you got it put out before the fuel line (and filter) melted and your fuel tank emptied.

Please let us know what happened.
 I'm glad you're ok. Your beautiful 95 (prolly the only one in the US) will be fixed.

Pat
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Urban_Legend

Holy crap Fred. So close to disaster. So luck to ha an extinguisher close at hand. Winter project now?

Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

aviationfred

RPM has been contacted and an emergency repair package of UNI filters, a fuel filter and a set of intake boots have been sent to my Dad's house. Hopefully it will arrive by Friday. In the mean time. I will repair the burnt wiring and tear down the carbs and make sure there is no internal damage. The throttle cables got a little malty bit look pretty much ok. I am hopeful to have the bike back running Friday afternoon. Saturdays ride to Key West may still happen.

The only outward cosmetic damage is a bit of melt damage to the right side panel under the seat and the right side fairing infill panel.

Fred

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2

Pat Conlon

Perhaps if you had the oem air box and a carb started free flowing, the fuel would have run into the air box and down the air box drain tube away from the bike?
Looks like it ran out of the carb throat, thru the Uni and on to the top of the engine.
Just a guess.

Was the bike stumbling (like a flooded carb) before you shut it off?
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

racerrad8

Randy - RPM

racerrad8

Quote from: Pat Conlon on December 24, 2018, 06:52:36 PM
Was the bike stumbling (like a flooded carb) before you shut it off?

Possibly related: http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=18301.msg184578#msg184578

Regardless, if a carb overflowed it should have dumped the fuel out of the two overflow hoses and four enrichment hoses down the backside of the engine onto the ground.

The source of the fire needs to be determined.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

andyoutandabout

My word, what a bother.
Well done for thinking on your feet and sprinting toward the nearest extinguisher, which can be a tough find.
Could have easily been higher on the Rick magnitude scale of damage.
Best of luck with the on the road rebuild.
Andy
life without a bike is just life

aviationfred

The bike seemed to be running fine until the moment I pulled into the parking spot. It was not running on all 4 cylinders right when I turned off the ignition. Once I got the carbs off and removed the bowls and slides, I noticed the #1 and #2 carb throats had carbon build up and the #1 and #2 fuel overflow lines show melting about an inch below the carbs.

Fred

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2

Troyskie

Mate, glad you're ok. It is a relief that it wasn't worse & you know the FJ so well that you can contemplate a running repair.

If the fire was going whilst the bike was still running it is clear that 1 & 2 did most of the hard work sucking in the fire before the engine stopped and the fire spread.

I can't have been burning for long, seconds likely.

Troyskie
1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz

ZOA NOM

Been there, done that. Was forced to stand there and watch her burn to the ground. Glad you were near an extinguisher. It could have been so much worse:

Verify the fuel filter is matched to the fuel line. My disaster was caused by a fuel filter whose nipples were too large for the line, resulting in a split end that squirted fuel onto the motor.
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

Sparky84

So lucky Fred,
Is there such a thing as a small fire extinguisher that could be carried ? Like the size on a chain lube can.

Quote from: ZOA NOM on December 25, 2018, 06:57:02 AM
Verify the fuel filter is matched to the fuel line. My disaster was caused by a fuel filter whose nipples were too large for the line, resulting in a split end that squirted fuel onto the motor.
I had recently trimmed back the fuel line where it fits onto petcock for that very reason, splits on the end.
But I do need to find a clip to keep it on the petcock as I've lost mine.

Cheers
Alan

1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

fj-f3a

Firstly, thank goodness you are OK Fred.

This certainly was a close call.
Should this be a wake up call for all of the FJ fraternity. How often do we check / change our fuel lines?
Do we use a quality fuel hose of the correct ID for the fittings in use?
Do we use proper clamps?
Personally, I do not like using small "Worm" type clamps as I have found that small worm clamps can distort the tubing at the end of the worm housing. (for want of a better description)
The original spring type clips are the best in my belief.
For those of us that are using pod filters, is there a possibility of rerouting the fuel line and positioning the fuel filter where it may lesson the chance of fuel discharging onto the engine should a mishap occur. I'm curious.

Now Fred, in no way am I insinuating that you are guilty of any of the above. This is something we must all think about, especially with what happened to Rick and now yourself.

One of the few things I do miss on the FJ is the Manual and Reachable Petcock like on my original XL185S and my Yamaha SR500.

I am certain you will have the bike repaired quickly but I do understand this is a Dam and Bugger moment one could do without.

Gavin

Wings Level

Current
1990 FJ1200, Wet Pale Brown
J17xMT5.5 rear wheel from a 2001 Kawasaki Zx9r
Stainless exhausts
Electronic cruise control
Custom seat
Yamaha R6 Blue Spot Callipers
FJR1300 Master Cylinder
Stainless brake lines

Tuned forks

Such a close call.  So impressive you had the presence of mind to go running inside looking for an extinguisher.  Kudos to the home owner for having an extinguisher in the kitchen as well.
Makes a body wonder if these fires are an indication that we are riding the machines beyond their intended lifespan and they need more maintenance.  Even Fred, who has made many mods and knows his bike forward and backward, has now experienced the nightmare we all have.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket