News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Some like it hot.....

Started by ribbert, January 03, 2019, 06:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ribbert

It is frequently said "Everything in Australia is trying to kill you", today it's the heat.

Temps in Southern Aus. ranging from a relatively cool 43C (110F) where I am, to 47C (116.6F) in other parts of the state.

A week or two back it got to 49.3C (120.7F)

It's a rare thing for me when I have a choice but today I think I'll take the car!

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Tuned forks

Good Lord.  Those are unhealthy temps.  When it gets that hot in the States, elderly and sick people start dying.  I've also often thought that your country got saddled with all of the most deadly critters.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

giantkiller

86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

Sparky84

Koala's have nothing on a feral Echidna, 
that's why they stay up in the trees

1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

ryanschoebel

Temps just like I like them!! Living in Phoenix, I dont mind the heat, but I hate the cold. I can work with 120 degrees, but I cant deal with 40 degrees F at all
1985 FJ1100-- Atlas (SOLD)
1984 FJ1100-- Storm

giantkiller

We had a scorcher today. Really warm 34f. Everybody out doin stuff today.
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built

Pat Conlon

Yea, riding a motorcycle in heat like that, the inverse of the wind chill effect takes place. I call it the blast furnace effect. It might be 120* ambient but at 80 mph on a motorcycle, it's over 130*
Moral of the story: Travel at night and morning (before noon) and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate....hydrate or die.

The days of toasty summer afternoon crossing the Mojave or lower Colorado deserts are behind me. BTDT.

Noel, what's your humidity like at those temps?  

I'll take 120*@10% humidity *anytime* over 90@90.

Dan, it was 70* today in our desert, a beautiful day for sure. Come out for a visit while you recuperate. Warm your bones. We have a bedroom with your name on it at Casa de Conlon.

1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

TexasDave

I thought Texas got hot. We don't come close to OZ.

Supposedly we have planet warming. The NASA scientists are predicting rapid cooling and the start of another ice age next year based on the Sun's cooling off cycle and no sun spots this year.

I don't know who to believe.

Dan you should take Pat's offer and get out of that icebox they call Wisconsin for awhile. You are welcome to come visit me in Texas but we are not much warmer than Wisconsin. Supposed to freeze tonight.

Dave
A pistol is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again.

ribbert

Quote from: Pat Conlon on January 03, 2019, 10:55:25 PM

Noel, what's your humidity like at those temps?  

I'll take 120*@10% humidity *anytime* over 90@90.

I'm with you Pat, the humidity kills me. I live at the southern most point of the mainland and the humidity is negligible thank goodness.

I did end going out on the bike after all, but not far, it was 43.3 (110F) when I left and the heat radiating off the bitumen was significantly hotter than the air hitting my upper body. Any way you look it at, it was too bloody hot for riding!

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

giantkiller

Thanks Pat and Dave. That would be great. But I'm on disability right now and couldn't afford even a bus ticket. Like I said If I ever get my house done. Anyone who gets up this way. Has place to stay and or work on their Fj.
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built

Charlie-brm

On the Sport-Touring site, some guys were advising that depending on a perforated jacket over exposed skin at those extreme temperatures actually puts the rider in danger of dehydrating much faster than if they wore a closed jacket. I guess it's something akin to previous to being schooled on the matter, when I wondered why the Bedouin wear full body robes on horse back in the desert.

Anyway, at this moment I'm more concerned with jamming stuff in any leaks around windows, letting out my hard earned heat in the apartment at the 44th N parallel.
If someone wants to see any images I refer to in posts, first check my gallery here. If no bueno, send me a PM. More than glad to share.
Current Model: 1990 FJ1200 3CV since 2020
Past Models: 1984 FJ1100 - 2012 to 2020
1979 XS750SF - 2005 to 2012