News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

New ride

Started by rjdunn22, January 09, 2019, 05:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjdunn22

Hi all
Just picked up a 85 FJ, its been sitting for a few years.
12,000 miles
What should i go through to get it back on the road?

big r

I would start by making sure the gas tank is clean. Clean the carbs. replace most of the rubber bits. Change the brake lines to stainless ones ,new tires.I am sure one of the pro's here will chime and mention anything I missed

ryanschoebel

Big R nailed it. Check the fuel system, and clean and replace everything as needed. Check the fuel petcock,and make SURE it is safety wired. If it isn't, wire it, or buy one that is( see RPM banner above). Replace the brake lines, and thoroughly flush and change all hydraulic fluids.  Bar that, you will find things as you go over the bike, and have fun
1985 FJ1100-- Atlas (SOLD)
1984 FJ1100-- Storm

rjdunn22

Drained tank, filled with non ethanol. New plugs, new oil & filter, new air filter.
I'll go through the carbs this weekend.

Millietant

Assuming, after all this time the battery is dead and is already on the replacement list, other things would be :-

Empty all old fuel out of the tank, and if there's one fitted, change the in-line fuel filter.

Change oils (engine, forks) & filter, clutch fluid (might end up having to do master cyl and slave cyl seals after a long time sitting) and put in a fresh air filter. Brake caliper pistons might have seized up as well and remember to check front and rear master cyl's (if they haven't seized, seals might still be damaged from old fluid, and the little holes could be blocked, mine were after 8 years parked in the garage) after you've re-done the rest of the brakes and used them a bit, looking for leaks (old seals). The rear brake cyl sits behind the footrest plates and leaks are not easy to see unless you're checking for them.

Make sure the throttle doesn't stick or snag and returns instantly from wide open - and lube the throttle cables - don't want them to be sticky on return the first time you open the throttle and go WFO on the bike.

Personally I'd take apart the suspension linkages and give them a check and re-grease and as a matter of course I'd change the spark plugs.

Those are things that immediately come to mind  :good2: but I'll bet others have plenty more. !!
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

rjdunn22

I did notice severe oversteer (turned quick) at low speed, what to look for??

Millietant

Quote from: rjdunn22 on January 09, 2019, 06:38:47 PM
I did notice severe oversteer (turned quick) at low speed, what to look for??

Low tyre pressures, especially front ! - how did I forget to mention tyre pressures - mind you, after standing for 8 years how did I forget to mention NEW TYRES !!!
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

red

Quote from: rjdunn22 on January 09, 2019, 06:38:47 PMI did notice severe oversteer (turned quick) at low speed, what to look for?
rjdunn22,

All good advice, above.  Safety wire for the fuel petcock is a MUST.

Check the age of the tires.  (Click the link, and scroll down).  I want to say that FJ tires are about done, after about five to eight years, no matter about the tread left.  The FJ is a strong and heavy bike; accept no compromises on the road rubber.  Toss your old valve stems, absolutely. 
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

For the 16" wheels, there are few choices; Pirelli Sport Demons (bias ply), Avon (radials), and maybe one or two others.  If Avons are much better than my Pirellis, I have a hard time imagining how that may be.  Getting Sport Demons on the bike was like getting a complete new bike under me. 

For air pressures up front, generally, low pressure makes the bike want to turn in, and high pressure makes the bike want to stand up in turns.  The rear should feel planted, but not harsh.  Start at about 38F/42R, and tweak from there.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

rjdunn22

Just checked date codes, 11 years old
Time for new shoes
Thanks  guys!