News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Fixing A 86 FJ1200 with bad compression on #3 cyl.

Started by Mark Olson, January 13, 2019, 10:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Conlon

Mark, please say a warm hello to Kim & Steph for me....is Steph still flying for Cal Fire?
She is quite a gal and one hell of a rider! I miss those two....
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Mark Olson

It's Alive! :yahoo:

I was finally able to carve out some time to work on the FJ and finish installing the new cylinder and pistons .
The rings were a bitch to deal with due to the small taper left after you bore out a 1100 cyl to 1200 size.
everything was cool except the rear chain guide needed to be shaved a touch to clear the 1100 cyl.
My FJ is 100% back together and running great so far....knock knock knock on wood.
I am 12 miles into the break in and plan to ride tomorrow Sunday and reach my 500 mile oil change.
The RPM rally is less than 3 weeks and I plan to be ready to turn and burn.

yes I actually took some pics , so enjoy my crazy method of engine installation.

Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

Mark Olson

Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

Mark Olson

Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

Mark Olson

I only made it 50 miles before my battery died.
Ran good up to that point.  :wacko3:
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

Firehawk068

Nice Job on the rebuild Mark!  :good2:

I just had to replace the Battery in my FJ also...............after having "slow-crank" issues for the past year, it finally would not crank at all.
New Battery and now it cranks like I pulled the spark-plugs out!   :drinks:
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

andyoutandabout

Mark,
I just got a battery off the shelf at Autozone for $104.
Its a gel type without a vent.
The guy at autozone said they are miles better than an acid fill and can take more irregular current like the Fj electrics love to throw out.
The standard batteries from Wally World are about half this price, but I'm thinking these are better value.
Only time will tell.
So far, so good.
Andy
life without a bike is just life

Mark Olson

I am checking on my options for battery replacement ... possibly lithium, but I think my charging system may kill it.  gonna flip a coin.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

CutterBill

Quote from: Mark Olson on September 23, 2019, 08:55:16 PMI only made it 50 miles before my battery died. Ran good up to that point.
If the engine quit running because the battery died, that means the alternator is not working. A new battery won't help.
Bill
Never Slow Down, Never Grow Old.

Current Stable:                                                     
FJ1100                                              
FJ1200 (4)
1999 Yamaha WR400 (street-legal)
2015 Super Tenere
2002 Honda Goldwing

Mark Olson

Quote from: CutterBill on September 24, 2019, 08:01:58 PM
Quote from: Mark Olson on September 23, 2019, 08:55:16 PMI only made it 50 miles before my battery died. Ran good up to that point.
If the engine quit running because the battery died, that means the alternator is not working. A new battery won't help.
Bill

Let me clear that up... I rode 50 miles and stopped to hydrate and smoke , when I tried to start the bike the battery was dead 5v. The alternator is fine 14.2V normally when the engine is on.
I knew I might have a dead battery before i went on the ride but It had charged up from being flat. I was surprised it charged at all being an agm .

Anyway I replaced the Battery with a new agm again and this time I will pay attention to it....Ha Ha.  :rofl:

Moving on ......  The FJ is running great and rebuild smoke is almost gone , still have some on deceleration but I only have 350 miles on it. 
power is good and strong . I went riding with Zari and George on sunday and had them watch my smoke . We rode around Coloma area on the roads some of you may remember from the WCR a couple of years ago. I tried to keep the revs down for break in time and Craig had brought along his default stepson who was riding a Hyosung 250 thumper so i rode in the back to watch him . This kept me from going crazy and just winding the shit out of the motor... however I did succumb to my inner demons and blasted up to triple digits once or twice.

So I should have the oil changed at 500 mi just in time for the RPM fall rally ...  :good2: 
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

andyoutandabout

Yay, I think this years RPM rally will be even better than last year's
See you there.
life without a bike is just life