News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Clearcote on polished alu parts?

Started by Old Rider, January 14, 2019, 10:42:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Rider

I have polished the aluminium on the engine covers what now?  im thinking of clearcote them with spraymax 2k .Is that a bad idea? i know its easy to repolish but want a little protection to the soft alu.Will  2k clearcote stick to mirror finish surface?

Pat Conlon

Surface prep is key. Any spray on clear coat will stick only if you first wash off all the polish residue off the aluminum.
Use lacquer thinner or alcohol which will evaporate cleanly.

I'm not a fan of clear coats for a few reasons.
1) After time the clear coat yellows from UV exposure, then again, I live in the desert.
2) If you get a spot or chip in the coat with any oxidation, the oxidation spreads under the coating.
3)  Dimished luster. The luster of the polished aluminum is the best you will ever have, once you clear coat it. If you don't clear coat, the luster gets deeper each time you polish it.
4) False sense of surface protection. The spray on clear coat will not protect the soft aluminum base material from dings. The hardest, most durable clear coat I've come across has been a baked on powder coated clear coat. However, that powder coating used on wheels, fork lowers or swing arms can (will) get rock chipped, then you have above #2 happening.

For me, it's not a big deal to wipe down my polished aluminum with Simichrome once a year or after a long trip.

When (not if) you have to remove a buggered clear coat, for God's sake don't sand it off...use a chemical stripper.

Cheers. Pat
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

giantkiller

Pat I'm going to use industrial aluminum railing. I bought out of the red tag area at work. Around my decks on my house. It's just aluminum tubing. With the aluminum fittings for the railing. Two horizontal tubes. Going to fill in with stainless  cable to get the 4" minimum. It's raw aliminum. Debating about polishing. Leaving raw. Or painting black. I would rather l leave it aluminum. But worried because it will be outside. Do you think a clear coat would be a good idea in this case.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

Old Rider

Quote from: Pat Conlon on January 14, 2019, 12:08:38 PM
Surface prep is key. Any spray on clear coat will stick only if you first wash off all the polish residue off the aluminum.
Use lacquer thinner or alcohol which will evaporate cleanly.

I'm not a fan of clear coats for a few reasons.
1) After time the clear coat yellows from UV exposure, then again, I live in the desert.
2) If you get a spot or chip in the coat with any oxidation, the oxidation spreads under the coating.
3)  Dimished luster. The luster of the polished aluminum is the best you will ever have, once you clear coat it. If you don't clear coat, the luster gets deeper each time you polish it.
4) False sense of surface protection. The spray on clear coat will not protect the soft aluminum base material from dings. The hardest, most durable clear coat I've come across has been a baked on powder coated clear coat. However, that powder coating used on wheels, fork lowers or swing arms can (will) get rock chipped, then you have above #2 happening.

For me, it's not a big deal to wipe down my polished aluminum with Simichrome once a year or after a long trip.

When (not if) you have to remove a buggered clear coat, for God's sake don't sand it off...use a chemical stripper.

Cheers. Pat
Thanks Pat for sharing your expert advice.You made my decision on clearcoating easy. I was hoping that there was a miracle clearcote that not yellowed was chip free and kept the luster on polished parts. oxidation spread under the paint i had before and only fix is stripping the paint and re polish.I guess the best is not to clearcote and just wipe it with alu polish
now and then.

turbocamino

Fwiw... Eastwood sells a product i have used with good results called "Shark Hide"  i used it on my polished fork legs and swingarm.  I has never delamed or turned color.
89 FJ1200 saphire.blu owned 8-9 years.  By far the most satisfying of them all. Constant tinkering got me the best bike you could ever want.

Pat Conlon

Dan, unless you like polishing hand/guard rails more than you like polishing your motorcycles, I would pass on polishing that aluminum. What I would do is after getting any construction stains out, I would just let the aluminum naturally patina to its dull silver finish.
You could try a sealer if you are worried about any greasy hands staining the raw aluminum on the balcony guard rails.
For hand rails serving a stairway, I would definitely seal them with a product you can reapply.
A spray on clear coat will, sooner or later, be eroded way on a hand rail by sliding hands.

If you lived near the ocean with a salt air environment, I would only use a 316 marine grade stainless tubing for rails.

Cheers

giantkiller

Hey. Pat I was wondering if the general patina or natural weathering of the aluminum would be something that might rub off on peoples clothes. The deck will be about 16" off the ground. So won't get to much wear. But don't want it to be a problem for the occasional person who wants to lean up against it. I have never been around aluminum that has been outside for a long time. I am going to use it on the stairs also but they are inside. The balcony is off of my master so won't get much use. Mostly there for looks. That end of the house is about all you see from the road. But the deck will be 14'x28' off of the living room. So will be used a lot.

Might have to check out the Eastwood shark hide.
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built

giantkiller

Just checked out sharkhide. Pontoon guys are liking it a lot. One guy said he has had it on his polished pontoons. For 6 year's. 400 hrs on the boat. And still not even a pinhole showing. Kinda expensive. $58.95 a quart was the cheapest I could find. Said one quart would cover average fishing boat. 2 quart's would cover a pontoon boat. With some leftover. Just kleen first ( the same guy who said 6 year's and 400 hrs said vinegar) and wipe on with cotton diaper. The solvents flash off and that's it.

Might have to check it out.
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built

Troyskie

I used a clear over some of the frame to protect the silver paint.

Just rubbed it off last week as it turned yellow fairly quick, like a couple of months after application. It was 'automotive' grade, but utter crap result.

The factory finish is a clear lacquer over the aluminium on the footpeg mounts and forks. I'd like to know what lacquer they used, although I'm with Pat now, an occasional polish works well.
1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz

Triumph GT6

You could try #gtechniq C5 which we put on aluminium wheels for six months protection.

FJ1200 89.
92 Honda CB750 F2
Hagon Remus Renntec

giantkiller

I'm definitely going to try sharkhide. Non yellowing. And lasts 6 year's. Just wipes on. Thanks turbo.
86 fj1350r
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
Custom chopper I built

Pat Conlon

Yes indeed, thanks for the Shark's Hide tip Turbo....let us know how you like it Dan :good:

Old Rider

Quote from: turbocamino on January 14, 2019, 02:46:59 PM
Fwiw... Eastwood sells a product i have used with good results called "Shark Hide"  i used it on my polished fork legs and swingarm.  I has never delamed or turned color.
I read about it now an it looks very good i think i give it a try

Old Rider

Quote from: Triumph GT6 on January 16, 2019, 02:17:29 PM
You could try #gtechniq C5 which we put on aluminium wheels for six months protection.

I think i have an almost similar product called shield .It stops brakedust and other stuff binding to the wheel i have only used it on my car it worked wery well  and the wheels was easy to clean .but i only used it a couple of times .The wheels on my car is alloy but they are silverpainted.Mayby i should try it on the polished alu easy to take it off if it dont work.

ribbert

Quote from: Troyskie on January 15, 2019, 03:34:49 PM
I used a clear over some of the frame to protect the silver paint.

Just rubbed it off last week as it turned yellow fairly quick, like a couple of months after application. It was 'automotive' grade, but utter crap result.

The factory finish is a clear lacquer over the aluminium on the footpeg mounts and forks. I'd like to know what lacquer they used, although I'm with Pat now, an occasional polish works well.

Clear coats are way better than they used to be. This clutch cover has been on both engines so it's as old as my ownership of the bike. When I first got it I wet rubbed it to the sheen I liked and clear coated it. Just one coat. That was 10 years and over 200,000km ago, this is what it still looks like...

FJ 1200 2018

I use a few different clear coats and none of them have shown any sign of yellowing, not like the old days.
Pat is right about hard clear coats chipping, for me the answer is going softer not harder. Depending on the application I would use something like 3M Ventureshield paint protection for uniform shapes such as fork legs, or polyurethane clear or paint. Wheel paint is polyurethane paint, it doesn't chip.
This underslung caliper was painted in polyurethane paint many years, many miles and many thousands of miles of unsealed roads ago, it has a few dents, but no chips...

FJ 1200 2017

There is lots of great products out there.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"