News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Rebuilding the fuel petcock

Started by T Legg, January 17, 2019, 08:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Legg

After using a small crescent wrench to switch the 35 year old Petcock from prime to on (on the new  to me fj1100 I just bought )I put a little gas in the tank for the first time and gas poured out from the handle.I was able to buy the repair parts from RPM for the vacumn side of the petcock but not for the selector side.RPM sells the entire petcock but are out of stock untill March and I have plans for this bike before then.Ive been riding it with my one pint lawnmower gastank and it doesn't go very far on that.My local Yamaha dealer has once again saved the day and found the last two petcock selector handle rubber valve gaskets in the Yamaha shared parts database in Reading Pennsylvania.I bought them both along with the o-rings for that side.Thank God RPM still has source for petcocks.
T Legg

FJmonkey

Travis, if you need to borrow a petcock I can take the mostly new one off my 86 (it is an 84/85 unit). But it looks like you have it covered.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

T Legg

Thanks I Mark I appreciate the offer.I should have enough parts to rebuild this one and another set for a spare.I was going to rebuild the petcock on my first 84 fj but now i will hold on to my new parts for a while.We should have a parts register for the group so that as each of us croak off our parts can be saved and sent to the group.
T Legg

Tuned forks

Quote from: T Legg on January 17, 2019, 09:06:10 PM
Thanks I Mark I appreciate the offer.I should have enough parts to rebuild this one and another set for a spare.I was going to rebuild the petcock on my first 84 fj but now i will hold on to my new parts for a while.We should have a parts register for the group so that as each of us croak off our parts can be saved and sent to the group.

That's kinda clever, morbid and true all at the same time.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

TexasDave

Quote from: Tuned forks on January 17, 2019, 10:03:59 PM
Quote from: T Legg on January 17, 2019, 09:06:10 PM

That's kinda clever, morbid and true all at the same time.

Joe
I represent that! I mean I resent that. I might be old but am not ready to kick the bucket just yet.

OldDave
A pistol is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again.

balky1

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

T Legg

I got my parts today and finished the petcock.no leaks! I was able to get the o-rings for the selector side at ace hardware.I probably could have gotten another 35 years out of the selector valve gasket by flipping it over but I put the new gasket in.I didn't replace the outlet nipple o- ring or the petcock mounting ring screw sealing fiber washers I haven't found a scource for them yet.the vacume diagram has to be folded and pushed through the hole in the plastic plate,other than that it was pretty straight forward.
T Legg

Troyskie

Great job.

Perhaps this post should go into the files section....?
1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz

Old Rider

Nice work .I wanted to do some rebuild on mine 1tx fj1200  but only part i cold buy was the O-ring.

RPM - Robert

T Legg

In the morning when i checked my tank I found a small wet spot where gas dripped from the outlet nipple but it is no longer dripping and after turning it to prime and back to on several times still doesn't drip.I think I should have soaked the new old stock selector valve gasket in gas for a while before I installed it.
T Legg

stou

Is there anything available to replace the rubber selector valve gasket that is no more available at Yamaha? RPM sell the vacuum rebuild kit but not the rubber valve gasket. I know the complete petcock is available, but it is a bit expensive. The one on my FJ is not in bad

T Legg

J&P Cycles sells a new petcock seal part #721-752. It says it fits a Harely but it looks like it would work as long as it is the same diameter.for $ 1.99 each it would be worth buying one to find out.
T Legg

stou

Thanks T Legg, for $2 I think I'll give a try!

stou

Wow, they are crazy at JP Cycle! The part is $1.99 but they ask $27.20 for USPS shipping in Canada  :wacko3: :wacko3: :wacko3:

I'll try to find one localy!