News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Fj1100 oil light only shows when pressing start. Bike not turning over

Started by Commandershepard, January 18, 2019, 08:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Commandershepard

I have an FJ1100 which is 1985 ^-^ my bike use to start and run happily only replaced the carbs with a 1200 cause the old.carbs were beyond repair. But recently it stopped working when i turn the key to on the oil light doesnt light up but when i press the igintion it lights up then turns off when i dont press the ignition. There plenty of oil and the bikbike doesnt turn over at all anymore.

red

Quote from: Commandershepard on January 18, 2019, 08:20:24 PMI have an FJ1100 which is 1985 recently it stopped working when i turn the key to on the oil light doesnt light up but when i press the igintion it lights up then turns off when i dont press the ignition. There plenty of oil and the bikbike doesnt turn over at all anymore.
Commandershepard,

With the key removed, put the bike on the center stand and select fifth gear.  Rotate the rear wheel a few turns, by hand.  If the engine will not turn over, then probably the carbs have leaked, and filled a cylinder with gasoline.  Check for a gasoline smell at the crankcase filler.  If the engine oil is over-full now, or smells like gasoline, fix the fuel problem first, before you do anything else.  Then change the oil for good new oil.  A gas and oil mix in the crankcase will kill your engine very dead, if you try to start and run it.

Only if the engine turns over nicely by hand: Each end of each battery cable must be clean and secure.  Dirty or loose cable ends won't work.  The battery needs a full electrical charge, or maybe a new battery.  Try jumper cables, if the battery has been fully charged.  What happens when you press the starter button?  Keep us posted.

The oil light is only an oil level light, not an oil pressure light.  It only comes on when running if the oil level is low, if you are accelerating really hard, going up a steep hill, or some combination of those things.  The oil light does not indicate any loss of oil pressure, but a low oil level can cause a loss of oil pressure within a minute.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Troyskie

I might be over simplifying it, but is the kill switch off?

If the kill switch is off, when you press the starter the oil and fuel warning lights will come on (this is so you can test for a blown bulb).

Troyskie
1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz

Commandershepard

The kill is on haha ^-^ this is the first time owning a fj1100 its a project bike at this moment ^-^ and I'll do what you say red ^-^ but when i jump the stator it starts and runs happily like nothing wrong o o i looked in the floats of the carbs to see if they sticking but they all working fine. Do you think the oil sensor could be causing this if its faulty o o

racerrad8

There are three safety switches.

Neutral switch - does the green light work?
Kick stand switch.
Clutch switch.

If one or more of them is not functioning properly, the bike will not crank over.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

Commandershepard

There no kick stand switch im guessing old owner removed it green light works and clutch switch works. Isnt the oil level light suppose to be on when the key is turned on then turn off when engine turning over not off when you have key on and then turns on when you press the starter o o

FJmonkey

The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Commandershepard

The battery connections are as good as they can be and the battery brand new and fully charge o o i hope its not only my bike that ever got this problem

T Legg

Quote from: FJmonkey on January 18, 2019, 10:49:45 PM

The oil light does not come on when the key is on but the bike isn't running.when the key is on and you push the starter the light will flicker.If you turn the kill switch off and push the starter button with the key on the oil switch will stay on steady as long as the starter switch is pushed.
T Legg

Commandershepard

Like that but the light doesnt flicker when kill switch on its on steady when i press the starter.

T Legg

I think mine flickers when i push the starter switch because the starter is turning over.
T Legg

T Legg

have you checked to see if you can turn the wheel in fifth gear like red said yet?
T Legg

Troyskie

Mate, if the oil light is solid when you push the starter button then the kill switch, although in the run position, might be dirty and not working properly.

One of my 11's did that.

I removed the switch block and gave it a blast with some air & then used some contact cleaner. No issues now.

You can also try flicking it on and off whilst holding the starter button so see if it is an intermittent fault (the worst kind of fault).

Troyskie
1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz

Commandershepard

Just did what red said and it turning fine no problems on that and there no petrol smell in filler. I'll clean out the switch block tomorrow morning ^-^ hopefully its only that and nothing else i was worried that it'll be the sensor under the engine

Commandershepard

Anyother ideas will be perfect to hear ^-^ ill be working on the bike all day tomorrow so I'll come on here first and try ideas that come up till it works ^-^