News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Joys of Winter

Started by woodcreekpete, January 20, 2019, 03:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodcreekpete

Was going to post some pics of the new-to-me '90FJ but there's been about 8" of snow and it's -19c . Trust me, it's in there. I'll update in August when the snow melts

Mark Olson

Too bad on the weather, I do like the temporary shelter for the FJ though .. looking forward to the reveal.  :good2:
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

Tuned forks

1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

Firehawk068

Not much riding happening around here either. We've had some snow on-and-off recently, with more in the forecast for tonight............although it was almost 60-degrees F here today, I didn't ride. I went to the Aquarium with the Family, and then Olive Garden for an early dinner.

I did get some work done on the bikes in the garage recently..............just not on my FJ1200. (that will be soon, as I have a couple things to do to it)

I scored a nearly-mint set of Crash-Guards used for the Super Tenere...............Some guy in Fort Collins was selling these for $50  :shok:  with the stipulation that he wanted local pick-up only, so I buzzed up there after work that same day and snapped them up!

Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

Millietant

Have you stolen some of the Golden Gate Bridge there Alan ??

Looks like it should protect plent in a tumble  :good2:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

Motofun

Just a question, Anyone have experience with a crash with this type of guard?  My wondering is if the leverage applied by the guards might ruin the engine or frame mounting bolts.  I once had a track crash where the frame slider twisted the engine mounting bolt so hard that it cracked the frame.  As a result I'm very leery of running anything that sticks out very far and is attached to critical mounting points.
'69 Honda Trail 90
'75 Honda CB400F
'85 Yamaha RZ350
'85 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'09 Yamaha 125 Zuma
'09 Kawasaki KZ110 (grand kids)
'13 Suzuki GSXR 750 (track)
'14 Yamaha FZ-09
'18 Suzuki GSXR 1000R (track)
'23 Yamaha Tenere 7
SOLD: CBX,RZ500,Ninja 650,CB400F,V45 Sabre,CB700SC,R1

Firehawk068

Quote from: Motofun on January 22, 2019, 07:37:51 AM
Just a question, Anyone have experience with a crash with this type of guard?  My wondering is if the leverage applied by the guards might ruin the engine or frame mounting bolts.  I once had a track crash where the frame slider twisted the engine mounting bolt so hard that it cracked the frame.  As a result I'm very leery of running anything that sticks out very far and is attached to critical mounting points.

These are mounted to the Frame on both sides, and also tied to each other, so in case of a crash, the impact forces are distributed to the other side of the bike partially, lessening the force on any one bolt.
None of them are mounted to the Engine.

Where I intend to take this bike, and the type of riding I am planning to do, I wanted to protect the vulnerable parts.
Underneath the left side cover, sits the Radiator and Fan. Under the right side cover is the Battery+ECU+Electronics panel with all the fuses and relays. (there are stories of punctured radiators on these bikes with no side protection)
If I happen to have an unintended "Off" with the bike high up on a remote mountain pass, I want to make sure I can get back down to safety with a running bike.
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

rlucas

They look remarkably similar to the GIVI bars I'm using on the WeeStrom. I haven't "crash tested" them yet, and there's no vital electronics or anything under the sides, but they have saved me some $$$$ in busted plastic bits after a couple of low-speed drops. They do stick out a bit, but the Wee isn't exactly svelte to begin with.
We're not a club. Clubs have rules. Pay dues. Wear hats and shit.

"Y'all might be faster than me, but you didn't have more fun than I did." Eric McClellan (RIP '15)

Firehawk068

Quote from: rlucas on January 23, 2019, 07:34:28 AM
They look remarkably similar to the GIVI bars I'm using on the WeeStrom. I haven't "crash tested" them yet, and there's no vital electronics or anything under the sides, but they have saved me some $$$$ in busted plastic bits after a couple of low-speed drops. They do stick out a bit, but the Wee isn't exactly svelte to begin with.

These are OEM Yamaha lower bars, and the upper Rumbux set that fits together with the OEM lowers.........
I certainly will try not to "Test" them on purpose  :pardon:
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200