News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

New owner from Atlanta, GA (USA)

Started by nsr250, January 22, 2019, 05:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill_Rockoff

Welcome Don!

We are not far from Traxxion Dynamics in Kennesaw. I have not experienced an RPM shock, I am sure it's fantastic, but Traxxion will custom-build you a non-adjustable Penske, properly sprung for your weight and properly valved for that spring, for $850. (For another $300 they'll building you a double-adjustable version.) I had them rebuild my forks with new stiffer springs and the correct amount of heavier-weight oil, with RaceTech cartridge-emulating valves. Made a big difference. Between that and the 17x5 rear wheel off a YZF600R, everyone who has ridden both will tell you the FJ is easier to ride fast on a twisty road than my Ducati 998.

I don't know how your '93 is, hydraulically speaking, but my '89s were both awful from Day 1 (my first one was bought new.) I just thought that's how bikes were, until I tried a VFR700 and eventually a YZF1000R, and realized "okay, most bikes are pretty good, it's just these that are crap." I don't know if it's compatible with ABS, but on the non-ABS bikes you can direct-fit the aluminum monoblock calipers (pre-radial-mount only) from more modern YZFs / FZs / R1s / R6s. The adjustable brake lever and master cylinder from an FZ1 also bolts right on, and it all makes a huge difference in feel and stopping power, it'll pick up the rear wheel with two fingers.

I always had good luck with Metzler radial tires, there was usually something that fit the 16" rear wheel even if it was an ME-Z2 from a Triumph or something. Everyone who has tried them seems to like Avons, and they make the Storm 3D X-M Sport Touring Radial AV66 in a 150/80-16, so you could do that. There are a variety of 17" rear wheel solutions, most of which are substantially lighter than the factory Reagan-era 16" rear wheel that came stock. Some folks go to the entire FZ1 swingarm assembly, narrowed to fit into the FJ frame.

I have not been inside the FJ's carbs, I chickened out and shelved my originals and bought a set of new ones a few years ago. As of yesterday, the choke was sticking on at least a couple of them from sitting there for a few months, so I need to get in there and grease stuff up a bit. Superbowl Sunday looks like it'll be >60F out and I may get to ride into work a few days next week. You may get away with simply soaking and blowing out the passages and jets and then reassembling everything clean, or you may need diaphragms. Mine simply overflowed, if I'd known how easy a fix that was I would've just done that instead. (I rebuilt some Virago carbs, a pair of 250 Ninja carbs, and then a pair of EX500 carbs, nothin' to it.)

In May, we typically meet at the Boone  KOA the weekend before Memorial Day weekend, plus a few days before. (A lot of people go early in the week, get their riding in during the week when roads are empty, and either hang out all weekend or leave early depending on weather / conditions. No point sticking around in the rain if you're trailering back to Canada or Michigan.) We look forward to it all winter, and for some of our northern brothers and sisters it's the first good ride of the season. (Although of course we are usually deep into riding season around the Atlanta area by then.) Anyway, Boone is an easy 5 hours from Atlanta if you're okay with the first 4 hours being mostly highway, more like 8 or 9 hours if you go the way I do (GA400 to Cumming, then Hwy 9 to Dahlonega and I wing it from there.)  It's a great bunch of folks, bike-agnostic (although R1s have seemed to find more than their share of trouble though) and it's lifetime-ritual kinds of fun. People have come there from other time zones, other countries, other continents, it's a good time.

Anyway, welcome
Reg Pridmore yelled at me once

FJ_Hooligan

I guess prices have gone up in the last decade. 

My Penske Sport Shock with preload, rebound damping, and ride height adjustment was $650
DavidR.

Big Bird

Hello Don

Congratulations on becoming a member of the FJ family. Larry Eagle here, aka Big Bird.  I have been gone from the site for a a while with some health issues but now I'm back and all is good.
So 1st off I am just down the road in Phenix City Al.  which is just across the river from Columbus Ga.  I would be glad to meet up[ with you and or Paul a ride sometime.  I have a 89 Fj along with 2 other bikes.
2nd Getting a 17" back tire is a must.  I have a 91 gixxer 750 17 on mine.  Makes all the difference in the world in how the bike behaves at all speeds.  It also allows for a larger selection of tires./  I have Michelin Pilot 5 on mine.  Harder compound down the center and soft on the edges.  Works great!  3rd.  The RPM rear shock and having Randy or Robert at RPM rebuild your front forks and install the RPM valve is the just as amazing as the rear tire swap.  My 89 handles like a new bike.  4th like anything else in life you can spend as much money as you want depending on what you are trying to do.  Good news with these bikes is that they are so simple to wrench on and RPM has almost every part you will need at a good price and they are excellent quality and NO I DO NOT WORK FOR RANDY.
He, Robert and this forum have been a tremendous help with my bike.

Congrats again
Larry