News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Jetting for E85?

Started by FJ1200W, February 11, 2019, 04:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJ1200W

I've got a project bike that has flat slides set up for ethanol, and I was thinking, would those jets work with E85?

While I'd probably not do it on my daily rider, I am considering it for the "1314 salt bike" I'd like to ride this year.

Thoughts???
Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

racerrad8

Quote from: FJ1200W on February 11, 2019, 04:43:19 PM
I've got a project bike that has flat slides set up for ethanol, and I was thinking, would those jets work with E85?

While I'd probably not do it on my daily rider, I am considering it for the "1314 salt bike" I'd like to ride this year.

Thoughts???

No, they will be much to rich. You have to be in between gasoline & methanol for E85. My son ran E85 is his Miata for several years and had to build the tune for it. He tried to go back to gasoline and it was too rich. He als tried to run the methanol on the E85 tune on the dyno to see if he could make more power but it was way too lean.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

balky1

Quote from: racerrad8 on February 11, 2019, 04:55:50 PM
Quote from: FJ1200W on February 11, 2019, 04:43:19 PM

Thoughts???

No, they will be much to rich. You have to be in between gasoline & methanol for E85. My son ran E85 is his Miata for several years and had to build the tune for it. He tried to go back to gasoline and it was too rich. He als tried to run the methanol on the E85 tune on the dyno to see if he could make more power but it was way too lean.

Randy - RPM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you use methanol in fuel. I believe it is ethanol, or?
What does that E85 mean? Is it the same like in EU where it would mean that it is a fuel with up to 85% ethanol in it?

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

RPM - Robert

FJ1200W

I'm glad you read that right, they're set up for methanol, as mentioned. With a splash of nitromethane, but that was then and this is now.

I may try and jet them for E85 - good information, thank you all.

The conversion kit to put them back to gasoline is around $300.00 - I am hoping I can find the stock parts for the carbs, but if not, at least that's a option.
Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

balky1

Quote from: FJ1200W on February 12, 2019, 06:29:00 PM
I'm glad you read that right, they're set up for methanol, as mentioned. With a splash of nitromethane, but that was then and this is now.

I may try and jet them for E85 - good information, thank you all.

The conversion kit to put them back to gasoline is around $300.00 - I am hoping I can find the stock parts for the carbs, but if not, at least that's a option.

Thanks to RPM for clarifying. So you use methanol only for racing purposes or it is readily available on gas stations?
As for carb parts, Mikuni's web leaves a lot to be wished for, but I was able to find a dealer in Germany. I have him in reserve should I need the parts.

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

RPM - Robert

Only for racing purposes. At least in California you have to fill out a form that states you will not use it in any vehicles that will be driven for highway/road use.

Pat Conlon

1 gallon of Ethanol = 75% the energy of a gallon of gasoline
1 gallon of Methanol = 68% the energy of a gallon of gasoline.
You take a hit on your mpg and fuel tank range when you go to E85.
Unless you're running forced induction or high compression I don't see why you would use E85 for the street.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

FJ1200W

Quote from: Pat Conlon on February 13, 2019, 11:09:31 AM
1 gallon of Ethanol = 75% the energy of a gallon of gasoline
1 gallon of Methanol = 68% the energy of a gallon of gasoline.
You take a hit on your mpg and fuel tank range when you go to E85.
Unless you're running forced induction or high compression I don't see why you would use E85 for the street.

The motor is a 1314 and the original builder was running it on methanol and nitro - I'm going to tear it down and checking compression is on the list.

E85 is a lot cheaper than race gas - then again, a thicker base gasket might be a valid and far more practical solution if I find the compression too high......

Fun stuff!
Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA