News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

New FJ1100 owner from San Francisco CA

Started by jahearne, February 13, 2019, 11:41:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jahearne

I'm the third owner of a 1985 FJ1100 with 5300 miles!

John Ahearne

jahearne

The second owner picked it up at an estate sale with 1900 miles on it. Did all the work to get it on the road and put roughly a bit over 3000 miles on it.
John Ahearne

FJmonkey

The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Pat Conlon

Welcome John, you scored!  Hope you can join us at a west coast rally.
RPM's shop in Oakdale is only 2 hours away from to you.

Cheers

Pat
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

ZOA NOM

Let's ride! Welcome aboard. Let me know when you head out to Oakdale, I'll join you.
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

jahearne

Thanks! and the Rally sounds like a plan!! 

Although the PO went through the bike once already, I find that she still needs a bit of love. Fork seals and cracked rear brake disc, not too mention the petcock leaks. I'm glad I found this site! It has already proved to be a lifesaver knowing to wire up the petcock.

Tires are good. Brake lines replaced, master cylinders rebuilt, carbs rebuilt, remote oil filter, but she is real cold blooded. Starts right up but takes a long time to warm up. I'll sync the carbs, check for vacuum leaks, fuel levels, compression test, valve check/adjust, etc.
John Ahearne

ZOA NOM

Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

jahearne

We're in for some rain!

I have a couple of boats on Bethel Island not far from you.
John Ahearne

aviationfred

Welcome to the forum  :hi:

Nice find on a low mileage FJ  :drinks:

Relatively close to RPM is a bonus. 

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

Troyskie

Welcome to FJ fun house!

You lucky bugger, what a find. If the petcock was leaking, I'd simply replace it. The wiring method is mostly preventative. Yes you can press it back in, but for the few bucks for a new one you can keep the old one repaired and ready for your next FJ  :sarcastic:.

Although you seem to know your way around bikes, If I lived close to RPM I'd drop it off there for a once over. With such low k's it barely run in  :good2:. Have you checked the tank for rust?

A long time to warm up might be a leak in the intake boots. Just after cold start quickly touch the headers to see if one or more are not quite as hot as the others. If there is a noticeable difference (after accidentally removing your finger prints) then it could point to the cooler cylinders not getting the right mix, and after warming up any small cracks might just close enough to stop the problem.

If you are considering moditis then I'll take any OEM parts you decide to remove  :wacko2:, like those nice cans and headers.....just sayin.

Troyskie

btw, that dent in the tank can be repaired, you shouldn't need a new one (unless that is a new tank just in front of the bike  :blush:)
1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz

Tuned forks

John, welcome to the forum.  I'm in SF as well.  If you have any questions or need help just ask.  I'm in the Richmond Dist.  Where are you?  AS has been stated, riding out to RPM is not too long and Robert is an excellent mechanic.  He'll give you beard envy too.  :biggrin:

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

jahearne

Thanks for the advice Troyskie. (everyone, thanks for all the advice!!) I learned my way around bikes by getting manuals, tools, and thank goodness for the Internet and forums! I just completed a 89 BMW K100RS.    The tank on the floor is the original tank and it's loaded with rust! The one that is on the bike is a replacement and I'm thinking of fixing it and keeping it as a spare. The bike also came with another tank that has a different gas cap, must be a FJ1200 tank. If anyone is interested...

Hi Joe, I live in the Mission District off of 24th & Shotwell. Thanks for the offer! i'll be hitting you up for sure. Currently the bike is downtown at a DIY club, Piston and Chain, on Folsom & 9th. Come on down on Fridays, there's a happy hour open house. BTW, do you have tools & experience with fork seals? RPM is on back order for the fork rod tool.

Thanks,
John
John Ahearne

Flynt

Quote from: jahearne on February 14, 2019, 12:33:01 AM
and cracked rear brake disc...

The stock disks front and rear look like they're cracked by design...  the "cracks" wear away on the fronts, but are probably still there too if you look closely enough.  You might post a picture of the cracks to be sure, but I doubt you have a problem.

Best regards,

Frank
There's plenty of time for sleep in the grave...

Flynt

the Rally sounds like a plan!! 

Look for the 2019 WCR thread to get details...  this year's event is at the Bar717 Ranch in Hayfork.  You can sign up now and send a deposit (as per Thread), or mull it over and sign up later.  Hope to meet you there...

Frank
There's plenty of time for sleep in the grave...

jahearne

Quote from: Flynt on February 14, 2019, 09:19:41 AM
and cracked rear brake disc...

The stock disks front and rear look like they're cracked by design...  the "cracks" wear away on the fronts, but are probably still there too if you look closely enough.  You might post a picture of the cracks to be sure, but I doubt you have a problem.

Best regards,

Frank

Will do, Thanks Frank!
John Ahearne