News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Noob from Napa

Started by bugz, February 17, 2019, 09:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugz

Just got my '87 FJ1200 and is the second owner. Lotsa stuff to learn about the bike and fortunately i found this site. The bike i got is cosmetically in great condition, however I just need to adjust the idle. Already ordered a haynes manual but wont get it til next week. Planning on adjusting the idle but I'm certain i need to take the tank off but for the life of me I couldnt find the "how to" for that, i'd appreciate if anyone can point me to that page/site. Thanks.  :bye:

Urban_Legend

Hello and a big Welcome from Australia, Bugz

You don't have to remove the tank to adjust the idle ( if that is the issue). The idle screew can be reached from the right side of the bike. It is located under the carbs. There is a bit that sticks out from the cylinder barrels (auto cam chain adjuster) and the idle screww is directly above this. They can be a bit tight to move and it gets really hot in there.

Lots more infor will freely flow fron these guys. They are a top bunch to deal with.

Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

ribbert

Quote from: Urban_Legend on February 17, 2019, 10:18:26 PM

You don't have to remove the tank to adjust the idle ( if that is the issue). The idle screew can be reached from the right side of the bike. It is located under the carbs. There is a bit that sticks out from the cylinder barrels (auto cam chain adjuster) and the idle screww is directly above this. They can be a bit tight to move and it gets really hot in there.

Lots more infor will freely flow fron these guys. They are a top bunch to deal with.

Mark

Mark, if you crack the throttle slightly it lifts the adjusting screw off the stop, taking the pressure off it and making it easier to turn........and best done with a light gloved hand, as you say, it's hot in there.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Sparky84

Quote from: ribbert on February 17, 2019, 11:05:45 PM
Quote from: Urban_Legend on February 17, 2019, 10:18:26 PM

Mark

Mark, if you crack the throttle slightly it lifts the adjusting screw off the stop, taking the pressure off it and making it easier to turn........and best done with a light gloved hand, as you say, it's hot in there.

Noel

and without the "light gloved hand" sometimes you get funny little line blisters ....don't ask  :blush:
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

Troyskie

He he, me too. Yesterday....

Nice tip on cracking the throttle Noel  :good2:. I'm a stupid Aussie just burning myself.  :crazy:

Beer helps though..... :drinks: and wine.....
1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz

ryanschoebel

To be honest, I've never thought it was really that hot in there. I think its a pain in the ass to get it adjusted right, but I've never needed to use gloves.
1985 FJ1100-- Atlas (SOLD)
1984 FJ1100-- Storm

Tuned forks

Ryan, you live in the Valley of the Sun.  Of course you don't think it's hot since 110 F is a mild day.  :biggrin:

Welcome to the forum bugz.  Nothing new to add as the previous fellows pointed you in the right direction.  Andoutandabout lives near you too.  Good mate and rides like the devil himself.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

jahearne

Welcome! I recently joined myself

I grew up in Napa and now live in San Francisco. Check out the Service Manuals and Owners Manuals section for info on how to work on your bike until your manual arrives.

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=5067.0

John Ahearne

FJmonkey

Welcome bugz, I tried using a gloved hand once to adjust the idle. Near disaster.... I was stopped at a traffic light, still sitting on the bike, wearing my riding gloves. The armor bits on the fingers kind of caught on things trapping my hand. Not a good feeling knowing in moments the light will turn green. Mild panic took over and I got my hand  out. If you find you are chasing the idle adjustment you might have a vacuum leak. Keep in mind the big lump of FJ engine takes some time to fully warm up. Don't bother adjusting the idle till you know it is fully warm.   
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

ZOA NOM

Is it just me, or are we experiencing a surge in FJ popularity? I hope we get to meet some of these noobs at the Rally in June, or just meetups during the year. Welcome aboard, the more the merrier!
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

Troyskie

1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz

aviationfred

Welcome to the forum  :hi:

Ask away for how to' s, there is a lot of knowledge here. Also look in the 'file's section. Really good info there.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

andyoutandabout

Is that Napa California? I live here too. I can get that tank off and adjust idles, but a carb rebuild is best done by the experts at RPM. Make no mistake.
life without a bike is just life