News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Been needing one of these for a while....

Started by great white, February 22, 2019, 08:46:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

great white

Picked up a bike lift table a couple days ago:

1000lbs. Air over hydraulic. Bought at princess auto (like harbor freight). Reg $699 cad, on sale for $469. I had a $200 retirement gift from my mess (military), so it was really only $269 for me.

Foot pump actually works really well. I kind of prefer it to using the air lift (loud). Needed a little adjustment as delivered because it dropped waaaay too fast. The front chock is cheap, like all these usually are. I didn't even want to take my hands off the FJ long enough to get a couple straps on it. That will be replaced with a decent wheel clamp. No tie down points on it, so I used a couple c-clamps for now to make tie down points. I'm undecided if I want to punch holes in the deck for permanent tie downs or just use the c-clamps so I can move the the down points depending on what bike I have on the lift at the time.

Deck is 1/8" "checker plate", although the checks are more like bumps. Smooth edges and rounded tops. More for looks than adding traction. I'd almost prefer it were just a flat steel deck. I'll likely put a strip of traction tape up the middle or use some traction paint on it. I'll be welding a piece of 1/4" plate under the deck where the center stand will come down. I don't trust that 1/8" plate to not bend and/or dimple where the center stand feet will be concentrating the bike's weight.

I do not like the lift locking mechanism. It's just a solid bar that goes through the front two upright legs and jams them against the floor frame when lowered. The bar is soild, but it's a mystery metal. Feels just a bit too light to be standard mild steel. It is magnetic steel, but composition is unknown. Could be anything in there. That it's held in shear is also not reassuring. I'm going to build a proper double "ladder lock" mechanism for the table and ditch that bar.

I'm not a fan of the width of the floor frame compared to the width of the table and considering the height it can raise to. The "overhang" of the table at the front isn't confidence inspiring either. The C of G is back over the floor frame when the bike is on, but it's still really far forward on the table. Another go with the mig and some steel will get me a couple stabilizers to widen the base a bit and  a couple out to the front will give it more forward stability. I'll use screw down feet in order to keep it moveable when needed.

As with most of these "lower end" tables, it's wide enough to get a bike on, but not much else. So I picked up a couple loading ramps and some square tube steel. The loading ramps I'm going to turn into removable side wings. Once installed, I can put something wider on it (like a lawn tractor) or use the wings for foot placement if I ride the bikes on to the table.

The FJ is still at "rat bike" status and awaiting a full tear down and resto. I'm also not putting it on the road this year, so it will prob spend most of it's time on the lift. The vmax powered Venture will do riding duty this year, the FJ will go into long term rebuild.

I did do a few things to the FJ on the table so far though. My clutch slave dumped it's guts, so I rebuilt that. While in there I popped on the RPM oil filter adapter. It sure was nice to be able to stand upright or sit on the roll around stool and work at chest height instead of rolling around on the floor or on my knees.

:)

Next up I have to rebuild a couple Kerker slips ons and install them. The oem muffs on the bike are from an FJ, but the wrong year so the mount tabs don't line up with the footpeg support. I've also already repaired a rusted through spot on them, so they're on thier last legs anyways. Too bad really, I prefer the sound of an FJ on stock muffs, but finding a good set is crazy hard and if you do find some, they're super expensive.

So it's not a "pro-grade" table. But at $269 cad, it was a bargain for home use. A welcome addition to my garage!

:)

Millietant

With all the welding, widening, wheel chock, tie down points, leg locking and worktop strengthening, you're obviously a handy lad with the tools - and you have spare steel lying around - sounds like you could have made your own lift table and saved yourself a lot of money!  :yes:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

great white

Quote from: Millietant on February 22, 2019, 12:24:41 PM
With all the welding, widening, wheel chock, tie down points, leg locking and worktop strengthening, you're obviously a handy lad with the tools - and you have spare steel lying around - sounds like you could have made your own lift table and saved yourself a lot of money!  :yes:

Could have, but wouldn't have spent less than the 269.

Steel I had to buy. 

ZOA NOM

Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

Hersey289

I've  had the same Princess Auto lift for 2 years (bought it on sale too). I have easily stored and lifted my '85 on its center stand with no issues. I've not noted any denting of the checker plate at the the center stand location. As well, the mechanical bar lock works fine as well; no shearing marks seen on the bar while holding my FJ. The lowering speed was easily adjustable as mine too was too fast as received. I'm happy with the unit as is without further modification, though I agree, the front "wheel chock" is absolute junk.

Hope this helps,
Rob

ribbert

Quote from: Hersey289 on March 01, 2019, 06:10:05 PM
I've  had the same Princess Auto lift for 2 years (bought it on sale too). I have easily stored and lifted my '85 on its center stand with no issues. I've not noted any denting of the checker plate at the the center stand location. As well, the mechanical bar lock works fine as well; no shearing marks seen on the bar while holding my FJ. The lowering speed was easily adjustable as mine too was too fast as received. I'm happy with the unit as is without further modification, though I agree, the front "wheel chock" is absolute junk.

Hope this helps,
Rob

The only difference I can see between the stability of a bike on it's centre stand on the ground and a bike on it's centre stand on a raised table is the owner's attitude. The bike doesn't know it's in the air and will remain just as stable as it would on the ground.

The moment you start adding tie-downs and locking the front wheel so that neither it nor the bars can be turned, you are limiting the advantages of having it in the air.

As for that stupid wheel clamp. You only have to look at it to see it's never going to hold the bike vertical. I know two members here who lost bikes by making this assumption and know of many more. I never used mine but it still stopped me from turning the bars lock to lock so I removed it and literally threw it in the rubbish (as I couldn't think of any other use for it) The only sensible use I've ever seen those put to is clamping the rear wheel, even then it's dodgy.

You can get clamps, such as the 'Condor' which cost nearly as much as the table, but again, why would you want the front wheel locked?[/img]

I use my table several times a week, every week, with a few different heavy bikes so I'm comfortable with it raised. I even made the draw bar pictured below with a removable handle so I can move it around while the bikes are on the table.

The table top plate is not a problem with the centre stand, I have not seen even a whisker of deflection from years of use and many heavy bikes.
I like the pneumatic function, it's all I use (but upgraded the control valve).
I have absolute confidence in the locking bar.
Lowering has a hair trigger and just requires a gentle touch.
I can't imagine owning a bike without one (I'm currently looking for a second one second hand or make one)

I do love the idea of removable side plates so the bike can be ridden up, I have already given some thought to how best to do that.

If it becomes too much of a chore getting the bike up there, you will get lazy after the novelty wears off and end up not using it as much. I haven't even washed a bike on the ground for years. It takes me only a minute or two longer to put a bike on the table as it does to put it on the centre stand on the ground. Anything more needed than air in the tyres and up it goes.
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Sparky84

Quote from: ribbert on March 02, 2019, 07:40:59 AM
I use my table several times a week, every week, with a few different heavy bikes so I'm comfortable with it raised. I even made the draw bar pictured below with a removable handle so I can move it around while the bikes are on the table.
Just have to remember to make sure the garage door is fully up! Could save you Thousands.

I'd love one but no room, it'd sure beat lying on the floor to change headlamps...
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

ribbert

Quote from: Sparky84 on March 02, 2019, 04:00:03 PM
Quote from: ribbert on March 02, 2019, 07:40:59 AM
Just have to remember to make sure the garage door is fully up! Could save you Thousands.

I'd love one but no room, it'd sure beat lying on the floor to change headlamps...

Very funny Alan. They are still finding damaged bits and the price goes up every time they do.  It's been there since early December!

Randy would be jealous, the dealer labour rate is $195/hr and they do what most repairers do these days, charge manufacturer specified standard times, usually at least twice as long as it actually takes. This effectively doubles the hourly rate.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"