News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Bike wont turn over after a rain

Started by ryanschoebel, February 22, 2019, 09:42:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aviationfred

Quote from: T Legg on February 23, 2019, 09:10:21 AM
I have no idea why the US bikes use the orange wire for the tach and every other bike uses the grey wire .

The tach/coil wire is Grey on the US spec 1989 models.

As an added note. Pull the left side engine cover, moisture has been known to get in there and cause issues with the rotor and ignition pick up.

I saw this happen at a rally last year on another members bike while riding in the rain.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

ryanschoebel

Hey all, so the bike started up (albeit not well, i had to hold open the throttle otherwise it would sink and die), so i have it home now,and i will be looking into everyones suggestions this afternoon.
1985 FJ1100-- Atlas (SOLD)
1984 FJ1100-- Storm

Troyskie

Very good point Fred.

On the way to the Harrietville Oz rally I ran over a largish stone and knocked a 15mm chunk out of the bottom of the pick-up cowl/cover. No biggie I thought (no oil will come out), until we hit some heavy weather & I was breaking down intermittently till I put some race tape over the hole as a temp to home solution (after everyone was collecting my crap down plastic bag luggage weather covers). Unfortunately it was on the engine side of the cover, so it is JB'd now.
1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz

racerrad8

I would add one more thing...

If the fuel cap doesn't seal, then water into the tank and then into the carbs. Water is heavier than gas and will be the first thing sucked into the carbs when it was cranked.

This can result in the poor running issue you are now having.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

ryanschoebel

Quote from: racerrad8 on February 23, 2019, 07:44:13 PM
I would add one more thing...

If the fuel cap doesn't seal, then water into the tank and then into the carbs. Water is heavier than gas and will be the first thing sucked into the carbs when it was cranked.

This can result in the poor running issue you are now having.

Randy - RPM

That could very well be. How would I tell? and just drain the tank, and refill?
1984 FJ1100-- Storm

FJmonkey

Just pour out a sample of fuel from the petcock (or even better one of the carb bowls) into a clear container. If you have water in your fuel you will see it sitting in the bottom.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Sparky84

Quote from: T Legg on February 23, 2019, 09:10:21 AM
I have no idea why the US bikes use the orange wire for the tach and every other bike uses the grey wire .
It's probably because it's better colour than grey! and you can!  :lol:
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

ryanschoebel

Alright, tearing into it yesterday, no water was found anywhere. The coils were dry, and didn't look cracked, the short is gone, I didn't see any water in the side cover, and a sample from both the petcock, and the float bowls were clean. Bike seems to be running just fine now, so the end result is...I have no clue.
1984 FJ1100-- Storm

balky1

Quote from: ryanschoebel on February 25, 2019, 09:46:23 AM
Alright, tearing into it yesterday, no water was found anywhere. The coils were dry, and didn't look cracked, the short is gone, I didn't see any water in the side cover, and a sample from both the petcock, and the float bowls were clean. Bike seems to be running just fine now, so the end result is...I have no clue.

Similar on my side. It sat once in heavy rain and didn't start afterwards. That was long time ago and since then I have ridden it in some heavy rain without a single cough. BUT, still if I wash it with too much water while stationary, it won't fire right up. Has me clueless.

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009