News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Kerker slip ons, with a twist!

Started by great white, February 22, 2019, 04:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ribbert

Quote from: chiz on February 27, 2019, 08:09:16 PM

..........the hydraulics will loose pressure and the table will settle to the floor.
Les

Like good manners belted into us by our parents, good habits learned as an apprentice became ingrained for life. Never, ever put body parts under something held up by hydraulics alone.
That was hounded into me as a young bloke and I've never given it a thought since, I just do it automatically, every time, even if it's just for a moment. I recall that being caught not doing this incurred quite serious disciplinary measures.

One of the other pearls was "never put your fingers anywhere you wouldn't put your dick!" That has a lot of merit too!!

I have never had a hydraulic lifting device fail in 50 years but I still wouldn't put my hand somewhere dangerous even for a moment if relying on hydraulics alone to support the vehicle.

Many years ago I was called out to advise on lifting options for a Mercedes Benz with collapsed airbag suspension. When this happened the cars sank until the floor pan was resting on the ground. In this case though, a mechanic, someone I had been working along side only an hour earlier had jacked the car up to remove the tail shaft so it could be towed, he was lying under it when the jack let go, the diff got him in the head. I supervised the lift and could not avoid witnessing the extraction of his body. Not that I needed this to convince me, but it was a very sobering demonstration of why we need to play it safe.

Well may you say "the worst that could happen is the bike would fall over"  A couple of years ago here in Australia a bloke washing his Harley, on the ground on it's side stand, had it fall over and the clutch lever went straight through his temple into his brain - and his bike was on the ground!

Noel

Stay safe with the lifting gear guys.
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

great white

Quote from: ribbert on February 28, 2019, 06:18:42 AM

..........the hydraulics will loose pressure and the table will settle to the floor.
Les

Like good manners belted into us by our parents, good habits learned as an apprentice became ingrained for life. Never, ever put body parts under something held up by hydraulics alone.
That was hounded into me as a young bloke and I've never given it a thought since, I just do it automatically, every time, even if it's just for a moment. I recall that being caught not doing this incurred quite serious disciplinary measures.

One of the other pearls was "never put your fingers anywhere you wouldn't put your dick!" That has a lot of merit too!!

I have never had a hydraulic lifting device fail in 50 years but I still wouldn't put my hand somewhere dangerous even for a moment if relying on hydraulics alone to support the vehicle.

Many years ago I was called out to advise on lifting options for a Mercedes Benz with collapsed airbag suspension. When this happened the cars sank until the floor pan was resting on the ground. In this case though, a mechanic, someone I had been working along side only an hour earlier had jacked the car up to remove the tail shaft so it could be towed, he was lying under it when the jack let go, the diff got him in the head. I supervised the lift and could not avoid witnessing the extraction of his body. Not that I needed this to convince me, but it was a very sobering demonstration of why we need to play it safe.

Well may you say "the worst that could happen is the bike would fall over"  A couple of years ago here in Australia a bloke washing his Harley, on the ground on it's side stand, had it fall over and the clutch lever went straight through his temple into his brain - and his bike was on the ground!

Noel

Stay safe with the lifting gear guys.

Yessir, lots of these stories around. So few of them are actually personal stories though.

The "hydraulic lesson" was taught to me in both automechanics training and aviation technician training. Everything had to be "leveled and locked" before going anywhere near it.

But, unfortunately, my first "lesson" in securing something before getting under it came at a much younger age. In my teen years (wow, that was a looong time ago!) i was a "gearhead" along with most of my freinds. One day, I went to one of my freinds house. He had a 454/th400 in a 76 Nova. He had never gotten around to replacing the rearend with anything bigger than the stock 7.5 chevy. Suffice to say, the way we drove at that age; it ate them up like tootsie rolls. But they were cheap, available everywhere and easy to replace so he just kept putting "new" ones in. As I pulled into his parents driveway, something didn't look auitr right. The car had no rear wheels, but it was on the ground. Then I noticed tools off to the side and a coat. I walked up to the car and heard groaning. The car had fallen off the jack and my freind was pinned under it. Sideways and face down. Turns out he had been scooting over to grab a wrench and off the car went. Long story short, he's a quadrapeligic these days and hasn't driven or worked on a car since.

Was months before I would even consider getting a car back up off the ground again. I dare say it was a good year or two before I could bring myself to crawl under a car again. Having to have my freind extracted from under that car that day that shook me up pretty badly at that young an age....and still endures to this day when I have to work under anything.

The "jack-stands everywhere" and "level concrete floor or nothing" lesson was burned into my brain forever that day.

With that lesson solidly in place, my biggest worry these days if something falls over is how much it's going to hurt my wallet....;)

ribbert

...........the hydraulics will loose pressure and the table will settle to the floor.
Les

I should point out, the same applies for mechanical jacks.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Old Rider

I like doing service on my cars and bike myself byt on my latest car i think its a nightmare because the oildrain plug is almost in the middle under the car under a plastic cover.
Before i used to go to a D.I.Y  drive in where i could just drive the car into a carlifterramp and stand upright under working.Those places are now totally gone here in Norway so now i have to
lay on my back on the ground (working on a deserted parking place ) with all my body under the heavy car to do work.I use 2 small ramps that i drive the car upon then i secure it with 2 carstands and a piece of wood behind the rear wheel.
Still i dont feel real safe laying under there draining the oil.

great white

Got the "farm tractor" out in the sun today for a wash off and took a quick vid of how it sounds with the Kerkers outside:

https://youtu.be/bVbZYfeza2w