News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Another FZ1 swingarm, but a little different too.....

Started by great white, February 23, 2019, 09:33:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

great white

Well, it's no secret that the FJ axle is a smaller diameter than the FZ1. So, a little time on the lathe and:

I also didn't want to stack up another spacer (just one more thing to fiddle with and loose when removing the rear wheel) so I simply stepped up the bushing to the size needed to space the wheel:

There, now there's nothing to fall out when removing the rear wheel. At least no more than OEM.

The other side was just a bushing of the right diameter and size to account for the thickness of the swingarm, the adjuster block and brake arm:

Good to go!

Last thing to do is get it down on the ground, drop some reference lines for measuring and toss the laser rig on it.....fine tune as required to get the critical dimensions bang on.

:)

great white

Starting final aligment checks. First is to square the rear wheel to the swingarm pivot:

Squared up nicely. Unsurprisingly, the chain aligment marks are off by a fair bit. I don't think I've ever found a bike (of any make) that those stupid aligment marks are actually correct...

great white

Dropped my ref points for final "thrust alignment" check.

Rear wheel centerline:

Steering stem centerline:

Swingarm pivot centerline:

You get the bike plumb (Vertical), square the tire axle to the swingarm pivot, drop reference points to the floor, then stretch a string from front to back on centers and see where your swingarm centerline falls. Then you know if your rear wheel conversion is on centerline of the bike. At least centered to the swingarm and stem that is.

Mine is bang on, or perhaps a 16th to 32nd out.

That'll do piggy, that'll do!

:)

Gotta say; doing it on the lift table is light years easier on the bod than rolling around on the floor. Wish I'd bit the bullet decades ago and bought one. Oh well...young and dumb.... lol!