News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

My bike used to lean right

Started by T Legg, March 05, 2019, 08:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Legg

My black FJ used to lean to the right on the center stand.I didn't mind ,I lean to the right also but I decided to find out why.the holes in the stand are elongated and the bolts cut halfway through.
T Legg

Tuned forks

Yowza!!  That could have ended poorly.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

Urban_Legend

When I did the rebuild on my bike, I found my center stand bolts in similar condition. Ordered new ones for peace of mind, and found a stand in better condition too.

Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

T Legg

I bought a stand off of e- bay also. I had to look at several to find one without elongated holes.the bolts that came with it look ok but I'm ordering new ones from RPM.some day I will weld up the elongated holes and redrill them.the frame has some wear also,not enough to worry about but I will make sure I check the bolts more frequently.
T Legg

great white

I'll have to check mine. Bike doesn't "lean", but always worth a check.

The wear issue is because the "bearing surface" is small. If mine is worn, I'll turn out a boss and weld it in and then make a couple bolts the proper size. Something as simple as just making hte bearing surface twice as wide would have wear reducing effects. Better yet, a bar that goes through both pivot points would reduce wear to almost nothing.

Or just reweld and replace the bolts if that works for you. Most bikes it's lasted about 30 years by now so.....:)