News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Worldwide Shipping Network

Started by Ribz0, March 06, 2019, 12:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ribz0

Hi all. I hope that this is the right place to ask this.

Ok, hear me out... So, some may know Im looking for some fairing bits... Now, although there may be items floating around out there, some items for sale do not offer shipping to certain parts of the world. Yes, especially eBay.

Wouldn't it be great if we, as a community, could help each other out when it came to finding parts and helping with shipping. We all know that bits are getting harder to find, especially here in Australia, we get left behind from the rest of the world and so much is not even offered here. We go search for an item, have a win finding something, only to be told that we don't ship to Australia.  :dash2: :dash2: :dash2: :dash2:

But, if we had someone who lived i that country, who would be willing to help purchase the item, and ship it, that would be so good!! It would also help avoid the rip off prices being charged to bump up the profit margins.

Ok sure, there are some some details to work through, but just throwing the concept out there. I know the For Sale section here is great, but when the item is outside this forum, you can quickly burn $$$$ when the shipping is more than the item!!

OK, let me have it...

:flag_of_truce: (popcorn)
Bite off more than you can chew... then chew like hell!!

ryanschoebel

I think that a great idea! I would be willing to help people out for sure. Mind you, I would rather too much isn't coming out of pocket, but if anyone needs something here in the CONUS, I would be happy to have it shipped here, then turn it around to where ever it needs to be. Hell, find something in Arizona, Ill go pick it up for you haha.

I do feel like it would be a bit of a logistical nightmare, unless we set up a separate section here on the forum where people could post what items there are looking at buying, as well as location of the item,and shipping location. Then others in that area could chime in, and offer, or PM to set it all up.

Thoughts?
1985 FJ1100-- Atlas (SOLD)
1984 FJ1100-- Storm

ZOA NOM

Sounds great for folks outside of US & UK, but what's in it for me? I'm cool with helpin a brother out, but it seems a one-way street. I wonder if RPM could stockpile multiple items for the Auzzies and bulk ship to you for distribution... for a fee, of course. I'm imagining a thread where multiple buyers from down under use the RPM address to ship to, and RPM forwards to a single address there.
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

Ribz0

Hi ya Ryan/Rick and thanks for your input.

No doubt there will be some working out to do... and Rick, I did expect comments like that, and a very valid point to. I don't have an answer but I guess you just wouldnt put your hand up if you didnt feel you could help. But saying that, Im sure us Australian folk would be more than happy to help if we were call upon.

The RPM guys provide an amazing service already... but a bulk shipping exercise can be a right royal PITA!! I have had an experience that did not go so well... and when you are talking large orders or container size, you have all sorts of hoops to jump through... as preparing items, customs and all that not so fun stuff.

I think small scale, on an individual level would be easier to deal with through personal contact. However, open to ALL suggestions. If we can save a few $$$, it makes the purchase such a sweeter deal....

Setting up a section here would be a great idea! and PM's to ask and arrange things for sure! Im not sure if we can purchase on a different delivery address so the item goes directly to your shipping buddy, who will then forward it on to you. Payment for out of pocket $$ through PayPal maybe?

Im in Perth, Western Australia and I'd be happy to help out. And maybe not just for bike parts either?

Eric

ryanschoebel

Quote from: Ribz0 on March 06, 2019, 02:05:19 PM

Im not sure if we can purchase on a different delivery address so the item goes directly to your shipping buddy, who will then forward it on to you. Payment for out of pocket $$ through PayPal maybe?

You absolutely can. Example, lets say you Eric, want part A. All you do is go to ebay, enter your payment information and BILLING address, and then list your shipping buddy as the DELIVERY address. The shipping buddy would never get any of your information, they would simply have a package show up at the door. And then they could get quotes from whatever carrier to ship it you you in Perth, at your address, and then you can sort out payment for shipping in whatever way if preferred. PayPal is pretty sweet though!

Rick, its a very one way street. But really, how much effort is it to turn a package around? 10 minutes and a trip to the UPS store?  Worth it to me to just help out another FJ.
1985 FJ1100-- Atlas (SOLD)
1984 FJ1100-- Storm

Ribz0

Thank you Ryan... and yes, you are correct.. it will be more than likely us deprived Aussie folk asking... and I'm doing just that... asking... I dont want anyone to feel they are missing out, or have an expectation that there will be something return... cause lets face it, what the hell would you US and UK guys want from Australia!!

The only return would be that we would all return the favour if the time came. And it doesn't have to be restricted to bike parts only... If it involves trying to sort out air freight and containers, well forget it... not what this is about. Keep it simple and manageable. Something negotiable that you and your shipping buddy will agree to... thats as hard as it needs to be.  You could even have someone you know in that area pick it up from your shipping buddy. There will be all sorts of scenarios... but to the individual, all worth exploring.

Good to know about the shipping address thing... I have never done that through eBay...

Eric

great white

Quote from: Ribz0 on March 06, 2019, 02:54:36 PM
Thank you Ryan... and yes, you are correct.. it will be more than likely us deprived Aussie folk asking... and I'm doing just that... asking... I dont want anyone to feel they are missing out, or have an expectation that there will be something return... cause lets face it, what the hell would you US and UK guys want from Australia!!

The only return would be that we would all return the favour if the time came. And it doesn't have to be restricted to bike parts only... If it involves trying to sort out air freight and containers, well forget it... not what this is about. Keep it simple and manageable. Something negotiable that you and your shipping buddy will agree to... thats as hard as it needs to be.

Good to know about the shipping address thing... I have never done that through eBay...

Eric

Oh, I dunno about that. I just ordered a used FJR clutch master cylinder from Australia. CAD is worth a touch more than the AUD, so that was a nice change from ordering stuff in USD....:)

Ribz0

oh ok... good to know that you can have a win...  :good2:

You can put me down for a shipping buddy... happy to help out... :biggrin:

ZOA NOM

I didn't want to sound pessimistic, just adding to the conversation. I'm all in as a shipping buddy too, we just gotta see if it makes sense. I would imagine it would be an easier prospect to do a bulk buy/ship event maybe once or twice (how regular is there a need for some of this stuff?) than to try to set up a regular system. I only mention RPM as a business opportunity for them if it made any sense. I certainly wouldn't want to speak out of turn for Randy.
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

Ribz0

No... not at all Rick... and nothing negative taken... all great conversation. Bulk buys are always a winner, and im sure very welcome. There will be many scenarios... and no harm in covering them here...

Thank you for your offer... So any UK folk in?  :biggrin:

Mike Ramos

Quote from: Ribz0 on March 06, 2019, 02:54:36 PM

The only return would be that we would all return the favour if the time came.

Interesting proposal... yet it should be noted that favors returned seem to be the mainstay of this Forum and its' many members...

Not sure if there is a correlation with my experience, however it seems to me as if there is already an informal shipping system in place among Forum members.

For years I used a particular brand of gloves (no longer now that they are made in China) and when I needed a particular model, I contacted a Forum member in England asking that if I reimbursed him, if he could locate a pair and purchase and ship them to me here in the States.  Although I ended up locating a pair stateside, he was more than willing.

Another instance although not international:  When a member in another state had an accident and needed a set a muffler, someone offered one – postings were made & e-mails were sent and by chance a whole exhaust system was located near my location.  I went in person and picked up the items.  They since have been put to good use by fellow Forum members in different parts of the country.

When I was in need of a particular tail rack, word went out and soon I had one shipped from out of state to me by another Forum member.

Finally, a few months ago, a Forum member in Canada had a difficult to find 3.5" front rim.  We settled on a price.  However, I misunderstood the Canadian vs US dollars and did not transfer enough funds (via PayPal).  The rim was sent straight away despite the misunderstanding & I sent the balance of the funds before I even received the rim.

Although I have not sold items, I have purchased several and the items have always been as advertised.   Perhaps others have less than desirable interactions with their fellow Forum members, however there was never a question of trust between members and myself.  From my point of view, it has been an enjoyable experience.

As an aside:  Although not related to shipping, often when Forum members get together, especially when out of state or a different locale, perhaps I or one or another will make financial arrangements (lodging reservations, meals, beer & massage parlor appointments [!]) for several from out of pocket expense.  Reimbursement is always made without hesitation.  This is simply a great group of people.

Returning to the original topic: Perhaps such a system will work well.  Yet as mentioned in the opening, there seems to be informal shipping cooperation between members already in place.  I would not be inclined to formalize it.

Ride safe.

aviationfred

I have had the opportunity to participate in this exact proposal a number of times over the last few years. I have made purchases where the item was in England and the seller did not offer shipping to the US. Through this forum, I contacted a member in England to see if he would be a willing recipient of my item and then ship said item to me. Reimbursement of the members shipping cost would be done. It has worked out well a few times.

I have been asked a number of times for the exact same thing in reverse. A member in The Netherlands could not locate a part in Europe and the part was easily found here in the US. He purchased the part, it was shipped to me, I then shipped the part to him. Easy financial transactions through PayPal and everyone is happy in the end.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

balky1

If you need something to be forwarded from Croatia, feel free to contact me.  :good2:

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009

Ribz0

Hi all and thanks for all your input!!

Im sure this is already happening within the forum, and why shouldnt it. Sure, its all about the trust and the favour in return when needed. I guess we need to know who is willing to participate so forum members can contact them.

Im not sure how formulised it has to be.... maybe a section here to let others know who can help and be involved? For myself, being a new member here, I dont know anyone so knowing who to contact is difficult.

Thank you to those who have offered allready. We just need a place here where we can centralise and know where and who to ask.

Cheers

Eric

ribbert

Quote from: Ribz0 on March 07, 2019, 08:56:59 PM
Hi all and thanks for all your input!!

Im sure this is already happening within the forum, and why shouldnt it. Sure, its all about the trust and the favour in return when needed. I guess we need to know who is willing to participate so forum members can contact them.

Im not sure how formulised it has to be.... maybe a section here to let others know who can help and be involved? For myself, being a new member here, I dont know anyone so knowing who to contact is difficult.

Thank you to those who have offered allready. We just need a place here where we can centralise and know where and who to ask.

Cheers

Eric

Eric, as has been said, the system seems to be working well already and trying to formalize in all likelihood would ruin it. The forum members are for the most part a terrific bunch and assistance, in whatever form it is needed, is never far away. You could write a book about some of the extraordinary acts of generosity over the years.

I order a lot of stuff from the US and most places ship to Aus. However, for those that don't I use a forwarding house in the US, so I have a US mailing address, they are very common.

You may well be hunting around for something over there at the moment but I would be surprised if this was a service you needed more than once in a blue moon anyway.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"