News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Installing RPM exhaust

Started by Tuned forks, March 14, 2019, 10:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuned forks

Hey guys, for those of you that have installed RPM's exhaust, how long did the conversion take?  I'd like to know how much time to set aside.  Thank you in advance.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

Urban_Legend

Assuming you have the old exhaust removed, allow 30 mins to an hour. Don't forget to swap the exhaust head nuts over to the rpm supplied items. Hardest part is getting the headers in the right spot. Wipe them over with wax/grease remover before you start the bike, to stop fingerprints leaving horrible Mark's on the pipes.

Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

aviationfred

The RPM exhaust is about the easiest exhaust to install that you can think of. The short exhaust spigots seal really well without having any weight from the rest of the exhaust there when torqueing the exhaust stud nuts. The rest of the exhaust slides together easily. Install the springs, wipe down the whole system with a grease removing type of cleaner and you are all set.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

56 CHEVY

To those that have the RPM exhaust, what have you done about the bumper for the center stand? My FJ came with Yoshimura slip ons and the left side had a place that the center stand rested against when it was up. Now with the RPM exhaust, the stand hangs below the pipe and bangs into it when I go over bumps.

copper

Changing the worn out center stand spring solved it for me.

Tuned forks

I spoke with Robert and that's exactly what he recommended for that problem.  He also said there should be no reason for changing the studs unless they are not stock already.  I'm really looking forward to digging into this project this afternoon.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher

T Legg

If your center stand has worn bolts and elongated holes it will still be loose and wobble around even with a new spring.I had to use a shorter spring to hold my kickstand tight untill I replaced the bolts and kickstand.
T Legg

ribbert

Quote from: copper on March 15, 2019, 02:44:50 PM
Changing the worn out center stand spring solved it for me.

I removed the stand and loose fit it when I need it.
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Tuned forks

I got the exhaust installed last night with barely enough daylight to work with.  As most guys have indicated, it's a relatively easy install.  Might have taken me as much time to remove the old exhaust.  What I would like to comment on is the exhaust tone.  What an AWESOME sound.  When I came home from Sears Point, even my neighbor came out of his garage just to check it out.  The sound reminds me of my buddy's Duc with Akrapovic pipes.  Really deep, throaty note.  Totally unlike Japanese motorcycle sound.  Furthermore, on decel it makes the most fantastic snap, crackle, pop sounds.  Big kudos to Randy for designing a system that actually fits without compromise and sounds great!

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher

Urban_Legend

Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

Tuned forks

Pretty much but seems to growl more in person.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher

FJ1200W

Quote from: Tuned forks on March 16, 2019, 09:26:51 PM
I got the exhaust installed last night with barely enough daylight to work with.  As most guys have indicated, it's a relatively easy install.  Might have taken me as much time to remove the old exhaust.  What I would like to comment on is the exhaust tone.  What an AWESOME sound.  When I came home from Sears Point, even my neighbor came out of his garage just to check it out.  The sound reminds me of my buddy's Duc with Akrapovic pipes.  Really deep, throaty note.  Totally unlike Japanese motorcycle sound.  Furthermore, on decel it makes the most fantastic snap, crackle, pop sounds.  Big kudos to Randy for designing a system that actually fits without compromise and sounds great!

Joe

I thought he reverse engineered it from a Akro pipe?

Anyone have the dyno charts comparing HP and torque to stock?

;)
Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

racerrad8

Quote from: FJ1200W on March 20, 2019, 02:20:40 PM
I thought he reverse engineered it from a Akro pipe?

Anyone have the dyno charts comparing HP and torque to stock?

No, the RPM system was designed by using several our forum members bikes to ensure proper fit, finish and function.

No copying from anyone else. There is more than a year of development time in the RPM system.

After installing many other aftermarket exhaust systems, I knew I needed to build something better.

Your horsepower question has been asked and answered a couple of times already. I do not have a local dyno shop that will work with me to test the improvements.

I do not believe anyone else has either, at least no one has told me they have.

Maybe someday I can justify a dyno and be able to comparison testing. Not only of the RPM exhaust, but the air filters and other power enhancers.

I will be interested to see your comparison numbers for the stock system to your Yoshi.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

Pat Conlon

In the old days, it was common for a FJ to get ~120-125 rwhp with a header, pods, jetting and a timing bump.
About 15 - 20 rwhp above stock.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

ZOA NOM

Nowadays, it's easier to just install the RPM filter adapter (6hp), the RPM risers (4hp), and finally, the smoked tail light cover (5hp).
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca