News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

ABS riddles

Started by andyoutandabout, March 19, 2019, 11:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyoutandabout

Riders,
Thinking on my braking options for my 1991 ABS 3wx. Just concentrating on the front really.
I can't remove the ABS gubbins due to EU law and stuff, so I'm stuck with it.
What do you think the best way forward would be?
A - just get some blue dot calipers. (Potential problem would be the caliper banjo orientation. Modern blue dots enter on the caliper face, Fj standard ones attach to the rear meaning a twist. I would think that a twist over the long length from ABS pump to caliper wouldn't bother the original hoses? There is a blue dot that enters from the rear, but these are older tech I think)
B - blue dots and braide hoses
C - blue dots braided hoses and a new handle bar lever assembly

Before suggesting C , I think my actual question is : can anyone reliably comment on which change makes the biggest difference. Yeah that's it - rank what you think the greatest to least improvement of the three would be.

Andy
life without a bike is just life

aviationfred

Quote from: andyoutandabout on March 19, 2019, 11:59:43 PM
Riders,
Thinking on my braking options for my 1991 ABS 3wx. Just concentrating on the front really.
I can't remove the ABS gubbins due to EU law and stuff, so I'm stuck with it.

Andy

I would go with B. And order a set is Spiegler lines from RPM. The Spiegler lines have the ability to turn the banjo fitting to the correct orientation to adapt to the blue dots.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

red

Quote from: andyoutandabout on March 19, 2019, 11:59:43 PM
Riders,
Thinking on my braking options for my 1991 ABS 3wx. Just concentrating on the front really.  I can't remove the ABS gubbins due to EU law and stuff, so I'm stuck with it.
A - just get some blue dot calipers. (Potential problem would be the caliper banjo orientation. Modern blue dots enter on the caliper face, Fj standard ones attach to the rear meaning a twist. I would think that a twist over the long length from ABS pump to caliper wouldn't bother the original hoses? There is a blue dot that enters from the rear, but these are older tech I think)
C - blue dots braided hoses and a new handle bar lever assembly
Before suggesting C , I think my actual question is : can anyone reliably comment on which change makes the biggest difference. Yeah that's it - rank what you think the greatest to least improvement of the three would be.
Andy
Andy,

Regular old-style brake hoses will not twist.  Anybody making braided brake hoses for you can make them using the new "rotatable" banjo ends, no problem.  They can also sheath the new hoses in clear (silver), black. or various bright and/or translucent colors.  Unless there is some problem with the existing lever assembly, I would not change it, although I would add the banjo bolts that include a brake bleeder in the head.  These bleeder banjo bolts cost from about US$15 and up ('way up).  I believe that brake pads have more influence on braking performance than the caliper types, but feel free to choose, there.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

ZOA NOM

Check out Venhill, Andy. You can have custom length, with specific banjos for a perfect fit. Also, the ends are fitted with a connector like a coax cable end that allows the cable twist to be fully removed when tightening. I tried the Speiglers, and was unimpressed with the tool used for setting the twist. It was a one-shot deal. You better get it right, or you live with the results. The Venhills can be loosened and re-tightened after installation. I finally went with these attached to blue dots with a radial master and I love it.

Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

Pat Conlon

I'm unsure the R-1 blue dots (monoblock) calipers have any benefit vs the oem calipers when used on the ABS.

Can anyone comment?

Yes, we all know about the improvements the R-1 monoblocks bring to the table on the conventional brake system *but* do they really help on the ABS?

Andy, I kept the ABS on the rear brake on a '93 I worked on....used R-1's, 14mm m/c and Spiegler lines on the front brakes. That worked a treat.
I'm a galoot with my right boot....I hate locking up the rear brake, but had no worries on that bike.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

andyoutandabout

Well plenty to toy with there gentlemen.
Fred, I think I already asked you this question, but thanks for bearing with and reiterating.
Thanks red for the good grounding on pads making the real difference - that right there is prolly the best upgrade you can make, kinda like tires.
Rick those Venhills are rather saucy and hmmm worth pricing up. Didn't we talk ABS at the races? You know the races were you got that podium. I recall, perhaps you mentioned you had all your OEM hoses. Can you measure them, you being an engineer and all.
Pat, another interesting poser, do blue dots make any difference over OEM calipers with ABS models? Open to ideas on that.
life without a bike is just life

ZOA NOM

The easiest method to take measurements is with simple tubing. I just ran some clear tubing that I use for brake bleeding to determine exact lengths to order from Venhill. I believe (perhaps it's a placebo effect) that the blue dots give me better feel. I do use sintered pads, but I definitely noticed an improvement from the rubber hoses and ABS. Mind you, I have not taken the bike onto a track, where the true differences can be felt in an exaggerated way, but I certainly feel more confident on the street with my setup.
Rick

Current:
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

racerrad8

Quote from: ZOA NOM on March 20, 2019, 10:49:27 PM
The easiest method to take... 

A look at RPM website...

Don't forget Andy, RPM has all of your braided brake line needs covered with the Spiegler brake line kits.

Rick, oh Rick... :ireful:

You have me questioning that decision to sell... :bomb:

Andy, the blue/gold spot calipers are an improvement performance caliper over the stock Yamaha FJ calipers.

I have not read the full thread yet, but I'll try this weekend.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

ZOA NOM

My apologies. While I do like the Venhill stuff, it's bad form to promote it here. The Spiegler lines available from our host are certainly of high quality and perform very well.
Rick

Current:
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

racerrad8

No apologies needed, this us actually the perfect place to promote the brake lines you like and the reason(s) why you believe them to be better than the other products.

I'm just giving you crap.

I checked in with Venhill many years ago. At the time they did not offer DOT approved lines which are the only ones legal for use on the roadways. Are they now DOT approved?

Spiegler lines sold on the RPM website are all DOT approved and legal for use upon the roadway.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

oldktmdude

I've used the Venhill brake lines for the last 7 or 8 years, they are great quality, cheaper than most and extremely adjustable. They offer a great choice of angled banjo's and cut to length lines. Very simple to build your own custom brake lines.
   Regards, Pete.   :good2:
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure

ZOA NOM

Quote from: racerrad8 on March 21, 2019, 12:16:20 AM
No apologies needed, this us actually the perfect place to promote the brake lines you like and the reason(s) why you believe them to be better than the other products.

I'm just giving you crap.

I checked in with Venhill many years ago. At the time they did not offer DOT approved lines which are the only ones legal for use on the roadways. Are they now DOT approved?

Spiegler lines sold on the RPM website are all DOT approved and legal for use upon the roadway.

Randy - RPM

You almost had me...
Rick

Current:
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1986 FZ750