News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Chin fairing or no chin fairing?

Started by great white, March 20, 2019, 03:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aviationfred

IMO... definitely with the chin cowling. I really liked the look of the over sized FJ1100 Lockhart Phillips lower cowling that I used on my 89. Unfortunately you can not use the Renntec crash bars.

Fred

I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

Ribz0

Gah.... very sexy!!!

The bikes Fred.... the bikes...  :sarcastic:
Bite off more than you can chew... then chew like hell!!

Bones

The Japs have got a pretty good eye "most of the time" and have designed some great looking cars and bikes over the years. I reckon they did a great job on the look of the FJ, it's got a style of its own and every time I walk away I can't help but take a second glance at it and to me they just don't look complete without a chin fairing.
93 fj1200
79 suzuki gt250x7

Too young to be old but old enough to know better.

great white

Guess I'm too much of a throwback to the late 70's - early 80's superbike look where it's sans extraneous bodywork and lots of mechanical bits in full view, because I'm still digging the sans chin fairing look........

TexasDave

I prefer the chin fairing look and my FJ's all have it. I also don't like the full fairing look covering up that great looking motor. I have had a chin fairing for decades but it has changed color from black to grey and doesn't look as good as it used to.

Dave
A pistol is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again.

giantkiller

Quote from: TexasDave on March 21, 2019, 12:54:06 PM
I prefer the chin fairing look and my FJ's all have it. I also don't like the full fairing look covering up that great looking motor. I have had a chin fairing for decades but it has changed color from black to grey and doesn't look as good as it used to.

Dave
Yah Dave my chin fairing is turning grey too.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

great white

Well, what we're talking about here is personal preferences. With personal preferences, no one is right.....and no one is wrong.

I'm digging the FJ without it's lower fairing right now. I might have a different feeling on it if it were the earlier, smaller fairing. But the 89 is just plain ol' BIG and that spoils the look for me. I've never been able to put my finger on it until I pulled it off to do some work on the bike. It just looks kind of "frumpy" with that big bulbous plastic thing wrapping around the frame and up the sides. Not that it's a horrible look, it just seems a bit "out of place" to me.

I think the FJ looks pretty good with a chin fairing (earlier models) but I also think they look good without:

It definitely changes the "flavor", but that's not a bad thing either.

You can think they look cool, or you can think they look like they're missing something. Both are OK, because both are simply personal opinions on what YOU like.

Personally, I'm digging them and all black is beginning to look pretty jammy to me as well:

And.....I know that technically this isn't black, but I'm also starting to groove on a black and gold paint scheme without the chin fairing:

:good2:

Black and white is also running around in my brain. A PO had bolted a rack to the original tail fairing, making holes in it and causing it to crack in several places:

I swapped it out for a good one, but it was primed black:

Sitting there looking at the black tail and the white side panels got my brain going on some type of variation on an original FJ paint scheme in black and white. That's still "percolating" though..... :biggrin:

ZOA NOM

Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

TexasDave

I want the all yellow one with speed blocks and megaphone muffler. That's the one Yamaha should have built. Chin fairing or not.

Dave
A pistol is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again.

great white

ZOA NOM

Well, it's actually a fact. They are incomplete.
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

moparman70

ChINny CHIN CHIN -- fairing -- all the way -- It doesn't look complete without it.  and the motor must be seen so no of this aftermarket fairing stuff --- the fins must be seen ---

full fairing are for the liquid cooled motors that really have nothing to look at --- FJ motor different story

I have spoken...................

great white

Quote from: ZOA NOM on March 21, 2019, 08:33:59 PM
Well, it's actually a fact. They are incomplete.

I restate: your opinion.

;)

andyoutandabout

Turned out a hot thread.
What luck I have to own a red and white with a chin and a black and beige without.
I've no intention of removing the one that is on the red and white and equally no intention of adding one to the black and beige unless it appeared for free, which I suppose nudges me into the 'with chin' camp.
Thanks Yamaha designers for making it an easy affair to add or remove, thereby giving us owners the all important illusion of choice. Maybe I'll run a chin during the week and take it off for the weekends.
life without a bike is just life

T Legg

I rode honda cb 750's from the mid seventies until the early eighties when I paused riding street bikes to raise a family.I started riding my cb's again in 2006 when my youngest turned 18.In 2016 I decided to  look for something more modern and powerful and found my first 84 fj1100.It was light years ahead of my cb's.It had a full fairing and was painted all black with a corbin seat I hadnt ever seen an fj before and was impressed by how modern it looked.I also saw how unsuitable (ugly) the frame was for a naked bike they require a fairing to look good.I agree the chin fairing enhances the look of the bike but I don't see much practical use for it the full fairing on the other hand does a great job of deflecting air around me (not the head area though)and for all year round riders it directs a nice stream of warm air across me during cold to moderate temperature riding.I like the modern look of my bike few guess that it is thirty five years old,most are about twenty years off.When I want to ride something nostalgic and naked with lots of chrome and a kickstarter I ride my cb-750.The fj does have a nice looking motor but not much chrome to show off.Obviously I am in the minority.   
T Legg