News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Perfect weather for a spring ride

Started by Tuned forks, March 30, 2019, 06:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuned forks

Ironic, as Dean posted in his topic, it was a gorgeous day to ride even one continent and ocean apart.  Today in the Bay Area we had warm sunshine and cool air.  Perfect.  I rode down Hi 280 to Foothill Blvd and followed that onto Stevens Canyon Rd.  Stevens Canyon goes past Stevens Creek Reservoir, my first photo opp.
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

ZOA NOM

I had too much on my Honeydoo list for today. It was GORGEOUS out. Maybe tomorrow...
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

Tuned forks

Continuing along Stevens Creek Rd, it parallels Stevens Creek for some time.  Yeah I know, big surprise huh?  The pics were taken from a bridge off the road leading to Sycamore Picnic Area.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher

Tuned forks

I'm holding you to that Rick.

Further along Stevens Canyon Rd, I turned left onto Redwood Gulch Rd and stayed on that for a short bit.  It's a narrow road amongst some dense forest land.  Really no safe place to pull over so now pics.  Eventually I turned right onto Big Basin Way/Hi 9.  That was faster and had some nice 2nd and 3rd gear sweepers but there was a bunch of cars ahead of me.  Apparently everyone was enjoying the respite from our rain although more wet stuff is coming this week.  After a number of miles I came to Skyline Blvd/Hi 35.  Much straighter and faster road.  Unfortunately the aforementioned rain this winter really took it's toll on Skyline.  This is just one area they had a washout.  Anyone willing to pull an Evel Knievel?

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher

Tuned forks

Skyline Blvd eventually lives up to it's name further north.  This is a view of the San Mateo Peninsula facing East.  I was planning to stop at Alice's Restaurant for lunch but man, that place was overflowing.  I saw some KTM tents so perhaps they had an event.  Anyway, I motored on past and stayed on 35 until Hi 92 and from there turned left/West.  Traffic was nearly stopped.  Sooo glad I wasn't in a car.  I split lanes like a mad dog for miles all the way from the top of the coastal mtns down to the coast.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher

Tuned forks

Finally I made my way to Hi 1 along the coast.  This is of the peninsula at Princeton and waaaaay off the end is Mavericks Beach, famous for the annual Mavericks, Men Who Ride Mountains surfing contest.  From here I followed the highway north to home, SF.  Hope all of you riding buddies found the opportunity to do something fun today as well.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher

Tuned forks

Oh, and many many thanks to Randy for designing an exhaust system that can be heard.  A noticeable amount of drivers were able to hear me before they saw me.  Loud pipes save lives!  Pedestrians turned their heads too.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher

T Legg

Spring in California is beautiful Joe.I have a nephew in the bay area that just bought a new bike and wants to ride with me and his cousin Ian.If we go down for a ride we will invite you.
T Legg

Tuned forks

Thanks.

He should come to you though.  Nuttin' more beautiful than the Sierras.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher

Millietant

Well, I'm totally jealous Joe - beautiful place and you get hills and the Ocean close together !

The UK has some fantastic scenery and roads, but where I live it's a couple of hours journey each way to get to them (2 and 1/2 hrs to the coast in any direction and a similar time to any decent hills). Mind you, I only managed to get out at 3pm yesterday so I'm thankful for the reasonably twisty roads (even though they're mostly flat) around us. Now that the weather is improving, I'm sure we'll be having some full days out in "them thar hills" and getting around to some of our historic buildings/castles  :good2:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.